Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 08:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Some AE86 mathematics for you...

Take this:

plus

roll it into an MOT station and a few days later, you get this!

Seeing that the car was MOTless for near on 6 months, I was quite heartened with the level of preperation that I put into her. As such, the only thing I needed to get a pass was bulbs and a bit of welding. How much is a bit? About this much:

A pinhole of rust which fell foul of that "no perforation within 26cms of a seatbelt mounting point" gheyness. One dab of the welder later and it was gone.
As of now the car is sitting, taxed and MOT'd in my garage. For once it is not stinking the place out with the smell of petrol (thanks to a complete set of injector O-ring seals) and not dripping coolent on the floor (thanks to the new waterpump and metal sleeve).
Ex-drifttango is now solid as a rock AND Roadlegal :worthy:
Finished? have I bollocks, aint even started mate! I got more to do, but its mostly things that are nice to be done to the car rather than vital to not getting my **** slung in prison, not to mention the power of forward motion.
I'll be back in a while when they are completed, but for now, here is the car snug in the garage where she belongs.

:thumbs:
astraboy.
Old 06 February 2006, 09:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally! Glad you got it all sorted mate
Old 07 February 2006, 03:00 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I showed this thread to a chinese/HK guy at work and he nearly freaked out. He's an AE86 nut and he immediately recognised the graphics on your car.

It's a replica of the car in the "Initial D" manga cartoons which are huge in Japan, the writing on the side is the name of a Tofu shop which the charactor in the cartoon owns.

Just out of interest, how much did your car cost and where did you buy it from? I wouldn't mind one of those myself.
Old 07 February 2006, 05:28 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I bought it about a year ago for 3500.00. Its been fully sorted with all the toys required for full on competition drifting and all the rust has been taken care of, the only downside it was very track oriented when I bought it so I have spent my time fitting little luxuries such as a horn push, washer jets, washer bottle etc.
I bought it from a guy up in Peterborough and the Diff exploded on the way back from handing the cash over. I werent very happy, but I took the opportunity to fully rebuild the diff and fit a mechanical TRD 2-way drift diff.
I'm nearly done with all the things I need to do to finish her (sort out every problem on the car) and I have a new project lined up as well so if you fancy a nice reliable drift car then drop us a line. astraboy_uk@hotmail.com
cheers,
astraboy.
Old 07 February 2006, 05:43 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Mind if I ask what suspension you're using astraboy, and if it suits road driving? I'm gonna need a complete set to replace the ageing suspenders in mine

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics2/a...inCamCoal2.jpg
Old 07 February 2006, 05:57 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

atm the car is running -40mm springs all round, with one coil cut out on the rear. Spax gas adjustables all round, Solid top mounts, front and rear strut braces, and fully rosejointed reax axle with solid mounts at both ends.
Suitable for road driving? erm, possibly not.
Good for drift? defintitely.
Having said that I'm in the process of swapping over the rosejoints for some TRD Axle links. That will introduce some play into the suspension and maybe reduce the noise in the cabin too!
astraboy.
Old 07 February 2006, 06:11 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

mebbe not then

I'd like to get a kit for mine, Spax/koni, and then strut braces etc, its a bendy old shell as standard innit! fun though...

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2006, 10:59 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

if you can find one then a safety devices rollcage takes a lot of the play out of the shell, although if you can find one (hens teeth syndrome) and once you fit it, you'll need to fit lagging, it reduces room inside somewhat!
astraboy.
Old 08 February 2006, 12:55 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

tbh I got this one as a B road weekend toy rather than a trackday tool, I have the teg for track use, and even tho its wrongwheel drive I still enjoy it.

I'll prolly stick with new suspension kit and some braces tbh, I can't afford to go mental with it.

cheers
Old 07 April 2006, 11:38 AM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Like that
Old 07 April 2006, 03:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's it up to now then ?