Sponsored by:

A Survey On Motorway Driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 11:43 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

1) You're on a two lane motorway, at approximately 60mph in medium to heavy traffic. You're 2 secs (safely?) behind the car in the outside lane. The car on the inside lane indicates to move into the outside lane to overtake a slower vehicle.

Do you...

a) Accelerate hard to close the gap so that the car can't move out?
b) Accelerate hard to close the gap after the car has started changing lanes?
c) Slightly ease off the accelerator and allow the car out into the gap? Maintaining your safety margin?

2) You're the car that was on the inside, having changed lanes & moved back into the inside lane. The car that was behind you in the outside lane is now in front of you and in the outside lane still. Traffic in the outside lane has to brake (concertina effect) and as they're braking and you don't need to, continue at a slightly faster pace & essentially undertake the car that was in front in the outside lane. You start to come up to a slower moving vehicle and need to move out to the outside lane to overtake.

Do you...

a) Indicate to move safely into the outside lane?
b) Not bother?
c) Indicate and move into the outside lane whatever?

3) You're in the car that was outside and behind the car in the inside lane, but you had to brake and the car on the inside lane, which didn't, undertook you. That car is coming up on a slower moving vehicle and indicates to change to the outside lane.

Do you...

a) Accelerate hard to close the gap so that the car can't move out?
b) Accelerate hard to close the gap after the car has started changing lanes?
c) Slightly ease off the accelerator and allow the car out into the gap? Maintaining your safety margin?

4) You're in the car that was originally in the outside lane, in front of the car in the inside lane and the other car in the outside lane. You've watched (1) in your mirrors & after having to brake in the outside lane notice the car on the inside has moved up behind you and is approaching a slower moving vehicle and will probably need to move into the outside lane. You have never met the people in the car that is behind you in the outside lane. You see him begin to indicate.

Do you...

a) Continue at your original pace, maintaining your safety margin?
b) Start to slow down so that the gap between you and the car behind is reduced and not allow the car on the inside space to move in?

5) You're in the car that was originally at the back in the outside lane. You are still at the back in the outside lane. The car that was in the inside lane is in front of you in the outside lane.

Do you...

a) Just continue with your journey and wait until the car in front goes back to the inside lane when it is safe to do so?
b) Move briskly into the inside lane, acclerate and attempt to undertake the car in front?
c) Move briskly into the inside lane, acclerate and attempt to undertake the car in front, then when you can't, undertake the car in front of that.

6) You're in the car that was originally in the inside lane, back in the inside lane and behind the car that was originally in front in the outside lane.

Do you...

a) Try and repeat 5b)?
b) Try and repeat 5c)?
c) Just continue with your journey, keeping safe distances from the vehicles in front and moving to the outside lane when necessary to overtake slower moving vehicles in the inside lane?

7) You're in the car that was originally in the inside lane, back in the inside lane and behind the car that was originally in front in the outside lane. All the vehicles in the outside lane are force to brake suddenly and hard to avoid hitting the car in front. Inside lane continues. As you sail up the inside for the next 1/4 mile.

Do you...

a) Laugh manically and gesticulate rudely to the car that was originally in front of you you in the outside lane?
b) Laugh manically and gesticulate rudely to the car that was originally behind you in the outside lane?
c) Smile wryly to yourself and continue on your journey?

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 12/4/2001 11:48:30 AM]
Old 04 December 2001, 11:51 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got those "M11-north-of-J8" blues?
Old 04 December 2001, 11:54 AM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Puff, can I have a little diagram, please!

c, a, c, a, a, c, c but then I'm pretty mellow and have to drive the M25 twice a day where the fourth lane is always full. I feel completely justified to do 70 on the nose and undertake anything that happens to be too stoopid not to moved over back to the inside. What's more I even get there before all the stress monkeys, most days.
Old 04 December 2001, 11:59 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can you repeat the question please?
Old 04 December 2001, 12:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

there's one option you are missing;

do you:
Put your headlamps on full, and you foglights, accellerate towards the 'prey' in front flashing,gesticulating and using the horn until they move out the way and let you pass, and if they don't bump them until they do!

of course I'm only joking and would never do that. I'm pretty considerate so I'd keep the distance and let the cars in and out in front of me, and move in if some ***** behind does the above mentioned. then I'd maybe pull out and eek out revenge on the chap maybe
Old 04 December 2001, 12:14 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Cool

cacaacc

But then I'm fairly mellow and I do too many miles (12,000 in the last 9 weeks!) to get stressed. Helps that my travel time is paid for & its fine by me if I have to spend an extra hour in the car listening to tunes rather than being in some meeting!
Old 04 December 2001, 12:17 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

1c
2a
3a
4a
5a
6c
7cBTW - if you do 3a then the rest of the questions don't matter

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2001, 12:24 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

MOTORWAY DRIVING??? oh no i dont do that.

I only drive my 600BHP cosworth around the schops at night picking up 12 year olds and wheel spining to look well ard.
Old 04 December 2001, 12:58 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

1 c) if the driver is good looking, or seems reasonable enough
a) if the driver is obviously dawdling or smoke is pouring out of the exhaust

In all seriousness, I'd say this depends on where the car in the inside lane is in relation to me - if they are reasonably far ahead I'll drop back and flash them out, otherwise I'd pull forwards and let them get in behind me - if I have to brake to let them in everyone else behind me has to brake and that's how congestion starts.

2 a) Indicate - but try to move over without undertaking other cars - this will just be seen as jumping the queue to get round the slow moving vehicle in the inside lane

3) Same as 1, unless they were blatantly trying to jump the queue to get past the slow vehicle - if they're doing that they can bl@@dy well get in behind me.

4) a) If they're behind me, I don't care what they do - just as long as it doesn't involve driving in my boot

5) a) Deliberately undertaking like that is for BMW driving sales reps.

6) Lost where we are by now - am I in the inside lane moving out, the outside lane moving in, or has the whole thing got too much for me and am I really in the services tutting at the slow service at Burger King?

7) Always laugh manically at anyone who has tried to jump a queue and has failed.

I like multiple choice - did I pass
Old 04 December 2001, 01:02 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Four foot one.
Old 04 December 2001, 01:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Question

Yes, all of the above....

Seriously though, indicating on a motorway IMO should only be done when manoeuvring - i.e. informing people of your manoeuvre, not telling them your intent! if someone on the inside lane wants to move to the outside, but theres a queue of cars in the outside lane coming past then there is no room for that someone! so don't indicate! (IMO) wait for a gap, then indicate and move!

Indicating when there isn't enough room to manoeuvre creates confusion and stress! all IMO!

Discuss

Justin
Old 04 December 2001, 01:55 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Should've said that the traffic on the inside lane is going at roughly the same speed...
Old 04 December 2001, 02:00 PM
JohnS

What's a Motorway Luckily I only need to drive on them every couple of months.

My answers would be:

1 - c
2 - b (I wouldn't change lanes, and just sit behind the slower vehicle in front, unless I was in a great hurry when I'd move safely into the outside lane when there was a suitable/safe gap)
3 - c
4 - a
5 - a
6 - c
7 - c

My view is always to drive in such a way that you don't p*ss off anyone, or be discourteous to anyone. If other cars see you cutting people up and/or driving aggressively, then you'll get the same treatment back again (bit of a viscous circle). If you drive safely, and courteously, then you'll find that most other drivers give you more room, and will allow you to change lanes more easily when you need to etc.

I did an experiment a while back, over many identical 300 mile round trip, mostly on duals and motorways. The difference in time between driving faster and more aggressively (hassling people in front to get out of the way), watching out for speed cameras and slowing down for them, and then accelerating hard past people when they finally did move over, and sitting at a steady 70 - 75mph, mostly in the inside lane (still passed much more traffic than passed me), was about 10 minutes in each direction.

Driving in the latter style, I arrived much more relaxed, and had used significantly less fuel, and had an extra 10 minutes to relax and listen to some good music Nowadays, I simply leave the house 10 minutes earlier, and have a relaxing time to my destination.

Old 04 December 2001, 02:57 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

I'm on limited brain power today.
Basically I would drive in a responsible fashion in such a way as not to endanger myself or other road users.
Sounds a really gay thing to say. But if there is some **** driving badly you just wanna be as far away from them as possible. Either in front or drop back a few lengths.
If somebody has got it in for you they won't let it go until they feel they have "won". Drop back, let them win and add 40 seconds to your journey (maybe play some Pink Floyd ). You can normally overtake them later when they have forgotten about trying to kill you.

Mark
Old 04 December 2001, 03:12 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to t Quality Assurance Report.
But:
c
b
c
a
a
c
c
Old 04 December 2001, 03:37 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

I got lost after the 4th question so I think I would have to say pull off at services to have a coffee and work out whats going on!
Old 04 December 2001, 06:40 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sounds like Jay m A is a Jay 1 a

Where's the harm in requesting room to move out, Jay? You could be there all day, the majority of the time I tend to wait for gaps to avoid disapointment so to speak, but I don't see any any harm in requesting....sorry repeating myself.

boultsy