Need a car until March

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 12:55 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a car until March

Hi guys,

I think I have just sold my car (touch wood) and I am after an Honda S2000, but the insurance company want an extra £400 just for the 2 months remaining on my policy! So I think I may as well wait out the two months and start a new policy in March when this one expires as I will have a years extra NCB.

So I need some transport between now and March, I am not sure if I can put up with a banger for 2 months. I was thinking of a VW Golf GT TDi, but I only get £177 cash back with that car. If I get a car below group 10 insurance then I will likely get back around £250 from the insurers.

Obviously the car needs to be easy to sell on (yeah that's likely with the way the current car market is).

Any ideas? Or should I just buy a banger?

Cheers

Bren
Old 09 January 2006, 12:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

banger - old Mondeo or something

Dan
Old 09 January 2006, 01:25 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Might as well buy a banger for a couple hundred quid then if worst comes you can just scrap it
Old 09 January 2006, 01:38 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

what about a granada scorpio
Old 09 January 2006, 02:15 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Get yourself up the auctions and get a £100 special, you'll get £25 quid at the scrap yard when you're done
Old 09 January 2006, 04:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

For 2 months, hire a car, need to phone around though.

Or better still. Cancel your current insurance policy and get a refund on the remaining 2 months then you can go get an s2000 now
Old 09 January 2006, 05:29 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
For 2 months, hire a car, need to phone around though.

Or better still. Cancel your current insurance policy and get a refund on the remaining 2 months then you can go get an s2000 now
Would lose the years no claims bonus though, unless you have full no claims already?
Old 09 January 2006, 05:32 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Another one sucked in by the S2000s charms
Old 09 January 2006, 05:40 PM
EP82
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/modified-106-x...QQcmdZViewItem

what more could you want, massive exhaust and a demon tweeks sticker

Buy this then take it off the road and "WE" can use use it as a track car
Old 09 January 2006, 06:35 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy, any advice on the S2000's?

I am after a silverstone one with red leather (common I know but I think its the best colour combination), with the money I have looks like I will be able to get a 2001/2002. I am not sure whether to get a GT or not?

I will post a message on s2ki when I get chance.

And yes I will lose my NCB if I cancel the policy now so it's not worth it, by downgrading my car they will give me some cash back anyway.

Tim - that's a right shed lmao, found something else though. Never thought of the idea of track toy after. Nowhere to keep it though!
Old 09 January 2006, 07:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It is the most popular colour combo but I think thats largely because it's the safest and it looks pretty classy. I have New Imola Orange Pearl and in the flesh it looks utterly amazing. Be sure to try and see some other colours in the flesh first. IOP is the best I've seen the S2000 in the flesh and most s2000 owners I've met have said its jawdropping.

I personally wouldn't bother with a GT. You have to worry about storage over the summer and it prevents those unexpected winter roof down days and better yet the frosty roof down on a winter night moments. With the roof up the car is perfectly refined and acceptable and many report squeeking issues with the hard top. All and all I didn't feel it was worth it and I've never once wished I had one tbh.

Defo shoot for a 2002 car as they made a number of little adjustments that most people regard as an improvement. The glass rear screen is a particular improvement I feel.

You might also be better off trying to pick one up just now. Sellers will let them go quite cheap at this time of year and I've seen some desperate souls on S2ki trying to move them during this very cold part of winter. In two months interest in them will pick up again and sellers will hold out for a better price. What extra it costs in insurance you might save in the price of the car and the bonus is you get one now

Best advice I can give is to be careful to learn the car. The storys of it being a handful are in part true. If you are a good driver and respect it you'll be fine but if you drive like a cannon from day 1 you will have a 'moment' or 3!!

In fact I honestly think you'll realise that £400 difference in haggling power between now and March. Buy now I say and you'll also get some important winter driving experience.
Old 09 January 2006, 08:06 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice,

That maybe a good point, there does not seem to be that many cars for sale at the minute though. There seems to be a lot of early cars with low miles and newer cars with higher miles lol! What's that all about...

I have never driven one yet so I hope when I do they don't dissapoint me. Is all the power right at the top end and what about any low down grunt, I don't expect it to pull like a tractor but it would be annoying if you have to ring it's neck to make any progress in traffic.
Old 09 January 2006, 08:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just hire a car and not cancel your insurance?
Old 09 January 2006, 11:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They take a bit of getting used to but then they are a total joy. Low down they keep up with traffic fine but if you are in 6th going up an incline at 60mph then a modern tdi in 6th will leave you to 80mph but you'll not feel like you can't keep up with the flow of traffic.

I keep meaning to time a non-vtec 0-100mph. I'd guess it would be about as quick as a VTR or perhaps quicker to be honest. It certainly pulls comfortably enough but if you want to really motor then you have to work it. That is it's best feature though as working it is so rewarding and so much fun. Around town you'll never be lost for grunt