Alfa 147 1.6 Twin Spark

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 01:37 PM
Spankathon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa 147 1.6 Twin Spark

Hello all,

Anyone own, of have owned the above car. My wife is seriously interested in one and we have been to look at one. An 03 plate 3 door Lusso, optional alloys, CD, climate etc.... with 22K miles for £6.3K - I think this is a good price.

Does anyone have any advice on the car at all..? What to look for?

I know of the possible problems with the 'Inlet Cam Variator' which makes it sound like a diesel for a couple of seconds when starting from cold, has anyone ever fixed this, how much..?

Whats the cambelt change mileage? I have heard a few stories of cambelts snapping on Alfa's below 60K miles.

Sorry for all the questions, but I cannot seem to find any 147 forums are anything on this forum for this particular car.

Thanks in advance
Old 20 December 2005, 05:22 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spankathon
Hello all,

Anyone own, of have owned the above car. My wife is seriously interested in one and we have been to look at one. An 03 plate 3 door Lusso, optional alloys, CD, climate etc.... with 22K miles for £6.3K - I think this is a good price.

Does anyone have any advice on the car at all..? What to look for?

I know of the possible problems with the 'Inlet Cam Variator' which makes it sound like a diesel for a couple of seconds when starting from cold, has anyone ever fixed this, how much..?

Whats the cambelt change mileage? I have heard a few stories of cambelts snapping on Alfa's below 60K miles.

Sorry for all the questions, but I cannot seem to find any 147 forums are anything on this forum for this particular car.

Thanks in advance
what to look for? yeah look for a decent car to buy, stink cars, they depreciate like hell and basically just suck
Old 20 December 2005, 05:49 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

I had one for 3 years from new...absolutely loved it...really quick steering...lovely engine note even from the 1.6!! Great drive...

I was lucky mine didnt rattle or creek...although I did have a cracked radiator sheild which was replaced on warranty.... The guide mileage for cambelt is something like 70K if i recal correctly but mine snapped at 46K Luckily for me it was a warranty job!

Try and get one with leather seats and a bose system

It was a lovely little car and i miss it!! (just be aware that in can be a love-hate relationship with this car)
Old 22 December 2005, 03:46 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a 2.0 for over 2 years and found it very reliable with a lovely engine. It did loose a of value, but it was bought from new not 2nd hand.

As for things to look out for, number one is a good dealer to do the servicing. Mine was great but I've heard a lot of horror stories.

The only things I didn't like were;

1. Engine consumed about 1 litre per 1000 miles.
2. Clutch bite was a little too sudden.
3. Suspension, although very competent, was softer than I'd like in a sports hatch.

As for forums, I found http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ very good.
Old 22 December 2005, 07:03 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had both a 1.6 & 2.0 147. Very wel equiped cars, even in turismo spec.

My advice would be to buy a used 2.0 Lusso (heated leather/climate/17" alloys) with minimum 1 years warranty remaining - the extra 30 bhp makes a huge difference over the 1.6 with little impact on fuel economy

Also beware that the cambelt change interval has been reduced to 35k & costs £650 - hence stacks of 34k mile cars for sale on autotrader (as mine was!!)