Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi S3's

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 12:10 AM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S3's

Hello could I please ask you guys what your views are of the above car. There seems to be a real mix of people with different cars on here not only scoobs!! Plus there also seems to be an air of intelligence which I find lacking on several other car forums!! Any comments whats-so-ever!!!
Old 05 December 2005, 12:27 AM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

Oh bum ive put this in the wrong part of the forum, please could a mod move it to other marques, sorry!! Cheers!!
Old 05 December 2005, 10:03 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

My wife's got one and they're well built cars which handle exceptionally well. It's the 210 version, so not the quickest, but she wants it chipped so it will be quicker.

My one word of advice to you is to not let someone sell you a 225 when in fact it's a 210 - there's a bit if a misconception about this - the 225 was only available on the 02 plate onwards - anything earlier is a 210. You do a search on autotrader and everyone with a 210 sells it as a 225.

If you want to check, call Customer Services at Audi as they'll tell you what the bhp is, and give you details on the service history etc etc.
Old 05 December 2005, 10:25 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

just to add to the above you will find a few 51 plate 225's, but as above has said 02 was the definate plate change for the 225.

the 225 is also one insurance group higher than the 210 and it made a huge difference to me when i was getting insurance, 25% difference in premium between the 210 and 225 for me.

There is a sticker in the spare wheel well which gives you the engine rating but its in Kw/h, i think the 210s are 159 and the 225 are 165.

Excellent car, very well built as expected, good standard equipment levels and many have lots of extras. i love mine. Chipped they are a good match for Sti's.

Downsides are backseats, not much room at all, and access to the back is pretty tight due to the recaros being pretty large. Boot not that large and not deep at all.

Mark
Old 05 December 2005, 11:46 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Good advice, 225's have the engine code BAM and 210's will either be AMK or APY and as NWMark says this will be on a sticker under the boot carpet by the spare wheel. Dont get caught by people trying to sell off a facelift late 2001 car as a 225.
Old 05 December 2005, 04:53 PM
Northern Scoob
Scooby Regular

My mate bought one of these as a cat d write off (vandal damage) finished now it is really smart - ive tried swapping for my scoob but he wont have it (wants money aswell - cant understand him )
has been chipped exhaust etc and is around 300bhp, fast as **** - not as in your face as imprezas but justy as quick - think its the full black leather that makes it feel more luxury too.

hes sellin it if anyone is interested around the £8k mark got about 60 thou on clock on an X could be mistaken tho

phil aka northern scoob
Old 05 December 2005, 05:39 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Decent cars though not nearly as much fun as the scoob. I had a 210 version but they tend to be gutless after 4500rpm. Good low down torque means they pull like a train at 2000 which is good for everyday driving but ultimately not very exciting. They rattle like **** as well with their wooden suspension(based on rather unspectaculsr mk 4 golf) Plenty of standard kit and a nice car but not much to get enthusiastic about. A chipped S3 is no match for an STI in fact you would need to chip it up to about 265bhp to have a hope of staying with a WRX as they are heavy. Not permanent 4wd either its the haldex (4 motion) system so a bit cheeky sticking a quattro badge on it when it doesnt have the quattro drivetrain. Rear wheels only receive power when front loose grip so handles more like a front driver than you would expect.

Good car, great for the bird or wife, but you should look elsewhere for a fun car.
Old 05 December 2005, 06:15 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
A chipped S3 is no match for an STI in fact you would need to chip it up to about 265bhp to have a hope of staying with a WRX as they are heavy.

Careful! You might just start something here......
Old 05 December 2005, 06:44 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by sgcooby
They rattle like **** as well with their wooden suspension(based on rather unspectaculsr mk 4 golf)
I think you'll find its round the other way. The A3 was introduced in 96 and the Golf mk4 in 97. Plus the A3/S3 had independant rear suspension which the Golf apart from the 2.8 4motion didn't have.
Old 06 December 2005, 07:48 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
I think you'll find its round the other way. The A3 was introduced in 96 and the Golf mk4 in 97. Plus the A3/S3 had independant rear suspension which the Golf apart from the 2.8 4motion didn't have.
Its still a poor chassis and not a great setup whatever format. The haldex 4wd isnt exactly great fun either. If they could have fitted in the quattro drivetrain it would handle a lot better. On the plus side they are very easily and cheaply chipped etc but the one thing that annoyed me when i had mine was no matter what you did you would never get one to sound nice. Now with my scoob all you have to do is change backbox and it sounds fantastic. Dont get me wrong i liked my S3 and it was far better on long journeys for comfort etc but it was never exciting to drive. Plus you have to deal with Audi service staff who are a total bunch of tossers. Audi aftersales is worst i have ever come across, as soon as you leave the showroom after buying car they want nothing else to do with you and they make that quite clear. Had to visit Audi for warranty work ( a lot as they do have a few problems ) and nearly on every occasion i had to take the car back in again as the problem was not sorted first time. At least te S3 has a better image than the TT though.
Old 08 December 2005, 12:31 AM
jonesy172
Scooby Regular

Cool thanks for the comments fellas!! i know that the haldex makes it abit boring but it can be 'chiped' to make it basically a different car with more of a rear bias.

Does anyone know of any common problems that occour with them? (have to excuse the spelling ive just got back from the pub quiz!!lol sorry!!)
Old 08 December 2005, 09:42 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Common problems are the same as most 1.8T's. Coilpacks, coilpacks and more coilpacks, check they've been replaced. I believe VAG have extended the warranty on these to 5 years now after mega amounts of failures about 18 months ago, they certainly have on SEAT's. Also MAF's are known to give problems if you use oiled induction kits so watch for modded cars. Pollen filters can cause water leaks in the front passenger footwell if incorrectly fitted. As long as its been regularly serviced there shouldn't be anything major. Dependant on what engine the car has cam belts are due from between 60k to 80k on the later ones, not sure on the exact figures. You cant "chip" the haldex as such but there are tuners who supply a complete modded controller unit.
Old 08 December 2005, 10:10 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

You cant "chip" the haldex as such but there are tuners who supply a complete modded controller unit.
See here

An uprated haldex fitted to an Octavia 4x4.
Old 08 December 2005, 10:16 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Common problems are the same as most 1.8T's. Coilpacks, coilpacks and more coilpacks, check they've been replaced. I believe VAG have extended the warranty on these to 5 years now after mega amounts of failures about 18 months ago, they certainly have on SEAT's. Also MAF's are known to give problems if you use oiled induction kits so watch for modded cars. Pollen filters can cause water leaks in the front passenger footwell if incorrectly fitted. As long as its been regularly serviced there shouldn't be anything major. Dependant on what engine the car has cam belts are due from between 60k to 80k on the later ones, not sure on the exact figures. You cant "chip" the haldex as such but there are tuners who supply a complete modded controller unit.
Hardly a major issue they only cost £18 each from a dealer, I buy them for less than a tenner- compared to the other parts on the car this is nothing- my last service including a new tyre cost me £1100.