MY95 Ford Mondeo (1.8 GLX) running problem

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 05:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY95 Ford Mondeo (1.8 GLX) running problem

Just a quick one -

Decided that wifey's Mondeo would be a good starter for me doing some light vehicle maintainence.
So I decided to do a light service (oil, plugs, filters)

Drained oil
MAte fitted the oil filter (never done it before!)
Fitted the air filter
Fitted the spark plugs (he checked the gap too!)

Problem - running like a dog No performance, and runs "lumpy" on accelleration (for what there is in a 1.8!)

It's too dark to check it now, but my thoughts are some type of misfire (due to an incorrectly fitted (loose) HT lead.....

Any other thoughts?

I'm waiting for the "why didn't you take it to a garage?" remarks I just wanted to have a go myself, and learn something at the same time.

As it stands, as the car's not really driveable, Wifey's gotta use the Scoob tomorrow!!!

Some help or thoughts wouldbe extremely appreciated.

Thanks (hopefully) in advance,

Dan
Old 22 November 2005, 05:31 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

You haven't mixed up the spark plug leads, have you?
Old 22 November 2005, 05:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nah - definitely changed the plugs one-by-one

Dan
Old 22 November 2005, 05:39 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I've recently bought a '93 Mondeo 1.8. It was hesitating pretty badly on acceleration, especially when towing. Changed the leads and it's now a lot better. But make sure they're fitted properly, because when I first fitted them (nicked from a scrappy) it was running even worse. Re-fitted and they are fine.

A mate of mine who works on a lot of Mondeo's also told me about a vacuum pipe that runs down to the EGR (I think, not used to all this electrical malarky ) sensor. It has a plastic T-Piece in it that tends to split and cause rough running.
Old 22 November 2005, 05:40 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Are the plugs correctly seated, and are they the proper platinum type? They are those bloody horrible taper-seat jobbies which only require a tiny amount of torque to seat them in the head properly .... as above, the HT leads will be on their way out if they are the originals.

Fire it up in the dark with the bonnet open, you'll see the spark tracking if the leads are duff.

Might also be the hydraulic tappets have emptied out and are refilling themselves, or have got a little stuck. If you're sure the plugs & leads are OK then take it for a gentle short run (couple of miles) at NO MORE than 3K rpm and it should pump up the tappets.

The early Zetec motors in the Mondeos used to get niggly problems with the tappets, they DO NOT like starting from cold then being switched off again quickly. They like to warm up properly.
Old 22 November 2005, 05:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You didn't mention refilling the oil - I hope you remembered. If it's only started happening since the service it's either the leads, or you've overfilled the oil and the MAF sensor is all clogged up.
Old 22 November 2005, 05:52 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I've also hear they're more than a little fussy on the grade of oil they take. 5W 30 semi is what they run on, I think. Haven't changed mine yet! Another mate of mine who used to work for Ford said that he's seen a few cases of the wrong grade oil being used on them and the valves sticking open as a result.
Old 22 November 2005, 05:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add about the oil - put in enough (not too much!)

I'll have to recheck my HT leads, by the sounds of it......

Gave it a very gentle drive home (at about 2.5-3K revs)......

Any other thoughts, or does it look like HT leads?

Gawd bless Scoobynet - such a great source of info!!!

Dan
Old 22 November 2005, 06:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Oil grade should only afftect the cold running of the car - once warm and 10-15mins of running it should be fine - as it warms up, it thins out.

(80,000miles on my old zetec mostly on 10w40 and only had problems during winter...which 5w-30 didn't cure either - always worse after servicing too. And when given a bit of stick any missfire would clear itself. : ) )

As mentioned, they are picky on spark plugs. I've been through a few dodgy sets of platinums myself as well as accidentally using standard plugs. Plug leads do degrade internally (check you old spark plugs for any pitting around the base where the spark has bypassed the spark plug).