Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Is the Mercedes A Class a good car ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2005, 09:50 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the Mercedes A Class a good car ?

As Above, Is the A Class a good car.

I was looking for a A160 Elegance or Avantgarde ?
Dont really want the Diesel model if i can help it. Only if people think its the only way to go.
It would have to be the face lift model.

So feed back please
Old 08 November 2005, 10:30 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Mrs Dunk had a A160 Elegance (manual) for a few years. It was fine for local trips for her & Dunk jnr (height helps putting kids in) without being a full sized MPV. We got rid when Jnr 2 arrived & need more space (mainly boot). Build quality for the class is average, but is poor in comparision to other Mercs. The ride can be a bit harsh in comparision to others. Running costs using an independant were sensible.

D
Old 08 November 2005, 10:32 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

The later models certainly have a lot less warranty issues with them. Are they good cars - yes, I think so (I'm a Merc mechanic - so I'm biased). Are they exciting cars - not even slightly.
Craig
Old 08 November 2005, 10:35 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Just looking for a A-B car with the odd 50 mile trip on the motorway.
Old 09 November 2005, 10:23 AM
big MO
Scooby Regular

A practical mini car. No faults during Mrs's 2 year ownership and pretty good on fuel as she didn't tank it then. It's an A Class and a city commuter. Don't expect too much from it by way of handling.
Old 09 November 2005, 10:45 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

As stated earlier pre-facelift models suffered from various issues, namely rear radius arms and rear springs. Most of the suspension problems came out of the fact that Mercedes had to modify a lot of components after failing the 'elk' test.

The later cars will almost certainly have had these problems sorted now and are better looking to boot. Go for an Avantgarde if your budget stretches, you will get a very well specced car for your money.

They are a fairly capable little car in the A160 model, you're bang in the middle of the model range which went : A140 A160 A170cdi A190 A210 (quite rare) so a good choice.

One of my colleagues has A classes as company cars and regularly does trips from here (Bucks) up to the north of scotland in his which he says is quite comfortable.

Any questions drop me mail, i'll try my best to answer them (i work for mercs shhhh)!
Old 09 November 2005, 11:00 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

my dad has a W reg CDi A Class. He likes it, i HATE it!

it is pretty fast, and does mental mpg figures around 60 combined and he he's done huge mileage and not that slowly either.

i think its very ugly and the seats & suspension are very hard (i find it more bumpy than my blobeye). not to mention expensive- he paid over £17 grand for a "classic" ie steel wheels etc.

he had a £1000 service when it was just out of warranty too, which he wasnt happy about - i thik it was suspension work or something
Old 09 November 2005, 11:26 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

I always laugh when someone comes on asking about what is obviously going to be an A - B or wifes car and everyone starts the "handlings not great, not that quick, bit slow in the 1/4 mile....ect"
The A class is good at what it is made to do. Its not a race car so anyone looking at one isnt going to expect it to be !
My mother is on her 3rd. She likes it a lot, this one is the CDi and is a nice car to drive, plenty room and a nice driving position. Hers is the Avantgarde and is indeed well spec'd although I would say the alloys with the lower profile tyres do lead to a harsher ride (to be expected). My one comment on the derv engine is that in a car of that size, I do find it rather noisey but I s'pose with the mpg figures it returns there has to be a bit of a sacrifice somewhere.
Old 09 November 2005, 11:28 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Work colleague of mine was desperate to buy one, but ended up getting a Golf instead. She was really unimpressed - I think it was something like "cheap interior, unpleasant to be in the back seat".
Old 09 November 2005, 12:48 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Brother in law has one, but not my cup of tea.

One thing I've noticed is that they're consistently bad in many of the surveys, e.g. http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/01/6.html

where it's 143 out of 150 odd or so (the Impreza comes out 26th IIRC)

There are many better cars for the money, e.g. a Focus. I can't see the USP of these things, you're just paying for the badge.
Old 09 November 2005, 07:28 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

If you think A Class's Are expensive, Check out Audi A2's

Jesus
Old 11 November 2005, 11:50 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Whether or not it is a good car, surely the "overall" package should be considered i.e. customer service, cost of repair, running costs etc.

I'm not saying all merc dealerships are the same but I do know that they still receive poor reviews when it comes down to aftersales customer care, whilst they will more than likely make you feel very special regarding the sales of said A class I would ask if possible, local owners of merc's (family, friends & work colleagues) how they rate the dealer in question when it comes to after sales care and servicing / repairs etc.

You may be lucky and have an excellent dealer on your doorstep but if not "buyer beware"! Several cooleagues have mercs as company vehicles and whilst they like the cars, I cannot say the same for the service they receive when it comes down to servicing or warranty work.

Also servicing can be on the steep side compared to other brands to say the least, so unless money is no object I know I would be having a good look around at other alternatives - unless of course your other half really set on the A class.

Then of course their is the "scrooge" standard spec, unless your happy to have a bogo std model with no extras take a look at the price of specing one of these beasties up with all the toy's - very scary when you consider what could be had for the same money!

If room and build quality are what you are looking for what about a Golf plus? Again though you may or may noy have the same issues with aftersales service dependant on the dealer. What about a Skoda Fabia VRS - afterall it's economical, goes well, handles well and allegdly Skoda are the dogs doo dahs when it comes to customer service / satisfaction - certainly in the top 10!!

Good luck

Paul