Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Accord Type R.

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2005, 10:31 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Accord Type R.

I am 99% going to have one of these cars on Sunday. Any of you lads or lassies had any experience with them?

I have read reviews and they all seem to rave about the Accord but I am going from an Impreza so will it still impress me?

I think Marky-San got one and he raved about it.

Any input much appreciated.
Old 02 November 2005, 06:42 AM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

I had one three years ago before my P1. Was very impressed with it, especially the engine noise at about 5600rpm, vtec-tastic. I'd say the build quality was higher than my scoob, also had superb recaros. All and all a quality motor. I only got rid of mine because some **** ran into me.
Old 02 November 2005, 06:56 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

From what i have seen of these they are a lot of car for the money, they handle quite well for a big car and are reliable as can be.

A couple of years back me and a friend were in his modded vr6 which was pushing over 200bhp and we got behind an Accord Type-r on a country road, any way one thing led to another and we ended up having a pop with this Accord...which absolutly roasted the vr6, me and my mate were gob smacked , the accord made the vr look like a 1.0 metro.
Old 02 November 2005, 07:17 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

accord type-r

looks good, sounds good , goes good, handles good, nice to drive, nice to own

2.2 212bhp 0-60 6.7 0-100 in 16.7 top speed 147mph, personally i always liked them, one of the rarer type-r's pirates black is a nice colour, they also go well when running 50 shot of nos!
Old 02 November 2005, 07:20 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
they also go well when running 50 shot of nos!
So do most!!
Old 02 November 2005, 07:35 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

i was waiting for that but the b-series engines like low levels of nos and they really go well more so than most
Old 02 November 2005, 07:43 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

pirates black is a nice colour
Thats the colour I'm having, T reg, owned by an automotive developement engineer.

The seats I have heard lots of good things about, one of the main reasons I chose the Accord. I am too old and chunky for the Impreza seats now

Bloody 33 and too old for an Impreza!!

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2005, 11:38 AM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trem
I am 99% going to have one of these cars on Sunday. Any of you lads or lassies had any experience with them?

I have read reviews and they all seem to rave about the Accord but I am going from an Impreza so will it still impress me?

Your 99% sure you will be buying a car but have yet to even experience one....

The Type-R engines are race inspired, so expects very low levels or torque, the power band is in the high rpms. So in order for the car to go anywhere you will have to rev the nuts out of the engine and work the gearbox.

I had a prelude 2.2vti for 3 yrs, lovely engine (similar to the ATR), however I simply got bored or working the power and ended up in Turbo land...Twin Turbo that is

Other than that, lovely engine, excellent gearbox, great handling for the size. Shame about the crappy driving position and the horrible dash.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:44 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

I know what the driving of them is like. I have had a Colt Cyborg and they have to be revved to get anywhere, I did have a constant smile on my face though.

I am 99% sure because the Accord in question has been pampered and its the car I have been after. I am trying to be grown up yet young at the same time so I hope the ATR fits the bill.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:53 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Look out for worn syncromesh - one of the few weak points on the car.
Make sure you do some quick gearchanges at very high revs - especially 2nd to 3rd. Any crunching and they're on the way out
Old 02 November 2005, 12:01 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

I had one from new, only sold to get my UK300 in 2001.
It was Pirates Black and was great, build quality was excellent.
Bought it without trying it. Impulse buy and never regreted it

Wolf in sheep clothing and they are rare and now of course there are lots of mods and goodies for them. When I had mine there was virtually nothing available for them.

Go for it you won't regret it
Old 02 November 2005, 12:09 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

2.2 212bhp 0-60 6.7 0-100 in 16.7 top speed 147mph,

Nice handling and well made but I've not seen a timed road test that made those figures above.....
Old 02 November 2005, 12:19 PM
ak47mh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Trem

I currently have a ATR in pirates black and use to have a MY99 Impreza with TEK2 and decat. I can say the VTEC will take a bit of getting use to and you will miss the Turbo. Mine is a lot more torquey around town than some people make out and it pulls very well in all gears. To make rapid progress though you really have to get it to 5700revs to hear the VTEC kick-in which is a wonderful experience everytime you do it.

I would agree that the ATR is definitely more well built and the handling and brakes are spot on straight out of the box making it more of a drivers car. You definitely have to learn to get the best out of the Vtec to really shift, where the turbo and 4 wheel drive of the Subaru would spoil you. This can also be a downside when you want to shift quickly though and can get caught out with other smaller cars leaving you behind..

Plus, I rarely see any other ATR's around, where I see a Subaru every couple of cars..

Cheers,
Ant
Old 02 November 2005, 01:39 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

before I bought my MY99 wagon it was between this and an ATR and I have to say I loved the ATR for all the reasons stated above, the only reason I chose the Scooby was for the practicality of the boot, although the ATR boot is actually quite bit my wife did not see it that way. The other reason was I fancied some low down lazy power as I had come from an E30 M3 which behaves almost like a Vtec engine, not much until over 5000rpm...quality car the ATR, go get it!
Old 02 November 2005, 02:45 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
Nice handling and well made but I've not seen a timed road test that made those figures above.....
check in the back of evo, they timed one
Old 02 November 2005, 02:47 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

the worn synchros are on on pre 99 cars or 01 cars the facelifted ones had a stronger box ,

check for it done at honda as alot have had it done underwarranty
Old 02 November 2005, 10:46 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

check in the back of evo, they timed one
If we're talking about the Accord it was 142mph and 17.4 to 100 according to EVO mag - autocar didn't manage quite that fast.
Still haven't seen one timed at 147 mph

The Civic Type-R managed a ton in 16.9 though
Old 03 November 2005, 07:21 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike123
If we're talking about the Accord it was 142mph and 17.4 to 100 according to EVO mag - autocar didn't manage quite that fast.
Still haven't seen one timed at 147 mph

The Civic Type-R managed a ton in 16.9 though
let me put it another way, i've been in a friend of mines atr and he raced his mates ITR and a ep3 ctr and there was nothing in it, maybe just maybe the atr had the legs on the itr
Old 03 November 2005, 08:42 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

let me put it another way, i've been in a friend of mines atr and he raced his mates ITR and a ep3 ctr and there was nothing in it, maybe just maybe the atr had the legs on the itr
Agreed, they all look much of a muchness on paper so probably not a lot in it on the road - down to individual cars and transmission sympathy!
Old 03 November 2005, 09:28 AM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

its almost a sin to shift fast, the gearbox's in the type rs feels soo precise and nice
Old 03 November 2005, 11:32 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine had one in pirates black up until recently, gorgeous colour when the sun hits it. The VTEC can feel almost like coming on boost when your a passenger i.e not expecting it. The recaro's are second to none but the rest of the interior does let it down a bit, plain but functional.

Can concur with the VR6 story, we were travelling in convoy with a lightly tuned corrado VR6 on an 'A' road and when pushed the ATR pulled significantly on it.

Summary : Very reliable, quick enough, rare. Personal taste on the looks, to some it's just a saloon with a big spoiler (not unlike a scoob )
Old 03 November 2005, 12:51 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

pirates black goes to a dark purple hue in brilliant sunlight,

really nice colour, one thing to check for is the xenon lamps had a height adjustment problem, think these were sorted at the dealers

check out http://www.carsurvey.org for some useful reviews
Old 03 November 2005, 01:15 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

not really relevant but what the heck!!!!!

A couple of years ago a red atr appeared in the village where i live and it turned out quite a young lad had somehow got his hands on it ,and he was driving all day and all night like a total loon just for the hell of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway one day he came flying past me with a car full of youths in a bit of a dangerous place and i said to my missus "that car will be put through a hedge very soon"

Next day at about 11 o'clock at night we heard sirens going up the road ,,,i went outside and saw there had been an accident ,,there was ambulances ,police and fire engine,,all busily trying to extract 4 youths from a very bent and twisted atr.
Shame,,,,it WAS a nice car.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:41 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Never had an ATR, but I have owned a CTR, which is a similar sort of experience because of the VTEC thing.

You will have great fun in it, but you have to cane it to get the best out it, as the meat of the power`s right at the top end of the scale, instead of further down like the Scoob.

Good luck, but try before you buy, as it may not be for you after driving a turbo.
Old 03 November 2005, 02:07 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

the atr benefits from a LSD too,

would be a significant drop in performance for me to get one, but they are nice and certainly rarer, long term not sure if i'd get bored though

The ITR i drove on a 30min test drive about 2 years ago was fantastic, but had doubts on how long that feeling would last, and tuning them more is a very expensive and not that fruitful with results
Old 03 November 2005, 02:17 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

If anyone is looking for an ATR, I'm selling mine now due to a business venture.

http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/viewtopic.php?t=58260