Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda civic handling woes (not type R)

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 02:24 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic handling woes (not type R)

I'm sorry that this concerns a rather boring vehicle (1.6 civic VTEC SE auto) but I'd be grateful for some feedback.

On slow wet/greasy roundabouts the handling is appalling though fun at the same time. At low speeds (sub 30mph), but pushing it, traction is easily lost and I've had the thing turn almost 360 on several occasions. Is it the tyres? They're mixed but decent quality* (185/60 R14s - michie energy front axle, pirelli P4000 rear, all with 4.5 -5mm of tread). One of the rears has a puncture so I'm wondering which pair to consign to the dustbin?

N.B. On the same r/a I can induce understeer in the impreza also at low speeds - the road surface is quite poor, certainly for grip. It's also not flat.

*One pair must be originals though, so 30K old.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:01 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Reading this I'm a little confused, but that not too hard these days !! Does the Honda understeer badly in all roundabaout or just this same one that your Scoob understeers on ? If so it could be as you mentioned just a low grip surface designed (well probably not)to slow you down.
Might be worth checking the air pressure in the Honda's tyre, saying that I got loaned a basic civic when my ex CTR was in for a service and I found that to be understeery. Possibly tracking badly out ?

Richard
Old 03 November 2005, 03:31 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Almost certainly the tyres. Michelin Energy are just about the Sh*ttest tyre for wet weather I know, they are usually only beaten by Pirelli's.

Throw them away and buy some Goodyear Eagle Ventura's.

Without a doubt the best wet weather tyre I've used. I had the exact same size tyres on a Pug 306, ditching Pirelli P600's with 6mm tread on the front, and some Dunlops with 7mm on the rear. I chucked them away because they were crap in the wet, particularly on dodgy road surfaces, and bought the new Goodyears, they are that good.

You might have to look around a bit to source the Goodyears, but I guarantee you they will be worth it, particularly with winter almost upon us.

Oh and don't be tempted just to buy a pair of the Goodyears and stick them on the front. Big Big mistake if you do. I made that mistake two years ago. It cost me a car........ Not the Pug 306. I bought the 306 to replace the one I wrecked.

Last edited by Reffro; 03 November 2005 at 03:36 PM.