Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Owning an F355

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2005, 02:59 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owning an F355

Its been a childhood dream of mine to own a Ferrari, and as a kid and then as a teenager I always said my aim was to own a Ferrari by my 30th birthday.

Well, at the end of next March I hit 30, and, all being well, I may be fortunate enough to take the plunge of Ferrari ownership, if not for the long term then at least over next summer.

So, naturally I have some quesions.

I have driven a 355 flat out around Goodwood so i don't need convincing of its wonderful handling and spine-tingling exhaust note, but where I am lacking some info is in just how robust they are? I am definitely not your typical Ferrari poser, I like to drive my cars hard, whether it be on track, or b-road. Would a 355 stand up to 'hard' use?

What are the typical service intervals and costs?

Do they sell 2nd hand still? I noticed quite a few up for sale on pistonheads, if I buy it for the summer and then flog it on in the autumn / winter am I going to end up stuck with it?

Will people on the street look at me and think I'm a w@nker? Will other drivers cut me up and want to race everywhere? Will people scratch it on purpose any time I leave it lying around?

Also, does it have any luggage space whatsoever????

Maybe I should just forget the idea and stick with the CSL?
Old 28 October 2005, 03:06 PM
AC1
Scooby Regular

Sorry can't answer some of your questions but I think you should go for it regardless, it's every schoolboys dream, flog it after summer then get your CSL.
Old 28 October 2005, 03:09 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

My brother had a 360 spider and sold it after only a few weeks - one of the problems was the negative attention it attracted, particular venom being directed at his girlfriend in the passenger seat...
His was the traditional Rosso red - a gorgeous colour was not particularly subtle. His advice would be to go for a non-red colour (probably not yellow either), and probably not a spider.
Ferrari values are hugely dependent on mileage, and official service costs will make you wince.
Old 28 October 2005, 03:12 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

AC1, definitely leaning that way

Mungo, likewise, I was thinking possibly the metallic black, although the problem is that as there are less of them in these colours it is harder to find the 'right' one?
Old 28 October 2005, 03:16 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think re-sale could be a problem as most are probably either sold to garages or traded in. If you plan on selling on trader then you might find it tricky getting a good price for it.

If you really can afford it then go for it - not many people out there can say 'I owned a Ferrari for a bit', but I think you need to be prepared to spend big on running costs. I know someone who got a 348 at 19 and although insurance was a lot cheaper than expected (2400), the servicing was expensive. 2000 for a service and a couple of new tyres.
Old 28 October 2005, 03:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Ed,

I think you probably can afford it and I know that we talked about Ferrari ownership before we even had licenses. Find the right one, do the research and take the plunge. Even if it's for six months, you'll have owned a Ferrari!
(I'll still do you around Coombe though )

Jim
Old 28 October 2005, 03:39 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The red is called "resale red" for a reason. Check out the UK forum at www.ferrarichat.com
Personally I like the black and dark blue ones, but there's a guy on Ferrarichat who's been trying to get rid of a smoke grey one for over 6 months now. So if I get one (and I came close to doing it recently, but postponed until I could better afford the running costs) it will be resale red unless it's a very good price.
Old 28 October 2005, 04:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dark blue is a nice colour for them but Im sorry Id have to have a red ferrari 355. Im with the crowd who says if you can afford it go bl00dy well buy one....

Ive always dreamed about owning a RX7 and always been scared until this year I thought fek it and loving every minute. I seriously doubt I'll be in a position to own a 355 ever but one day, if I have the cash, **** it I'll be there spending the money on one I dont care if people think your a **** for driving one. its called jealousy mate

Id also be suprised if you really get seriously jealous people who would scratch it on purpose unless you peed them off, I thought the same when I got the rex yet I always get comments from people saying how its a gorgeous car when I park up in town and thats from people Id normally be worried about walking past it if you know what I mean.... Go for it, otherwise you'll be 50 before you know it and thinking why o why didnt I get one when I had the chance
Old 28 October 2005, 06:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NigelO used to have one, occasional poster on here, more often to be found on the Fiat Coupe Forum (FCCUK) as Nigel.

Easy to raise him, start a thread with slight anti Fiat Coupe bias !
Old 28 October 2005, 07:13 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

bloody in-game advertising
Old 28 October 2005, 07:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuchsrohre
bloody in-game advertising
It'll never pay!
Old 28 October 2005, 07:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The coolest guy I ever saw was the one who pitched up at the doctors surgery in a 355 'Competizione' when I was there once, it was steaming (had been raining), ticking and was very dirty, the tyres were knackered. The guy was in his scruffs and didnt do any kind of flouncing or backwards glance to see if anyone was looking, didnt even lock the thing.

Hardcore !
Old 28 October 2005, 08:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading an article about ferrari ownership on some of the older models, it was the service costs that got me minor = 1000 quid, major = 3000...... not trying to put you off or anything, no doubt a speciallist can cut that price down a little.....

Tony
Old 28 October 2005, 08:29 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Fragile but fantastic beasts, be prepared to dig very deep if you want to drive the car hard on the road and track.

Servicing costs, clutches, niggling little faults, tyres,exhausts and insurance etc.

If you are going to get one then you can clearly take the running costs.
I have driven them in anger on the road and track and they are most rewarding and exhilarating. Just beware that as they get older the more they cost to look after.

Go for it mate.
Old 28 October 2005, 08:46 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ed,

I take it the business venture went well!!

As for negative attention; these sorts of people will give you negative attention no matter what you drive as long as its better than theirs. You can't live your life like that. The Nova driver will try and race the Golf GTi driver and so the chain goes on.
Personally if I see someome driving a 355 I think they could have been sensible and bought a 911 but had a little more flair/passion.

If the running costs etc make sense for you, don't NOT buy it because of what jealous t8ssers might think.

ps have you ruled out the 996tt?

Last edited by Deep Singh; 28 October 2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 28 October 2005, 09:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I get really annoyed with people like that, why damage something so wonderful out of spite, if the put some effort in to life then maybe they could have one, but no, they wreck someone elses, at least 40 grand (or therabouts, not quite up to speed on prices) into a 355 brings pleasure to anyone who claps eyes on/hears it, 40 grand could easily be spent on some monstrous 4*4 or one of those hideous Lexus 2 seaters.

355 says, passion, good taste and enthusiasm more than any other Ferrari, too old now for the average Lottery winner, not flash enough for the footballers and way to ordinary for the average Arab prince. Cant think of a more 'Ferrari' Ferrari if that makes any sense ?

Go for it !
Old 28 October 2005, 09:43 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

My barber has just bought a 355 Spider, looks very nice it does in red with black leather

I remember reading an article somewhere on servicing costs and the 355 was quite a bit more than a 360, but if you want one and can afford it go for it!
Old 28 October 2005, 10:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

can you afford it?? if yes then f**king buy one and on the bottom of your number plate put on in big letters 'i'm f**king loaded' that should do it!!! if anyone gives you **** stick two fingers up as you roar past!

Life really is too short mate!#

as the Nike advert says 'Just Do It!'
Old 28 October 2005, 11:04 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

A bloke two doors up from me has bought one recently. The exhaust note is weird... so high-pitched. Isn't the cambelt change every 10k ore something, and owing to the design it's an engine-out job?

That's what I heard.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:17 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

It was the belt change I remember being loads more on the 355 than 360, can't remember where I read it.

Pretty sure it was some garage's website and they had all the standard servicing prices they cahrged for various models.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:39 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

A Ferrari mate, you`ll be "living the dream" (as Peter Kay would say )

Please tell me that you`re not going to let the thought of some jealous b`stard wreck what must be the ultimate dream of any motoring enthusiast, which is to own a Ferrari ?

Get it done mate, as I`m sure you wouldn`t be considering it if you couldn`t run the thing.

Good luck in finding what you want.
Old 29 October 2005, 01:08 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davegtt
Id also be suprised if you really get seriously jealous people who would scratch it on purpose unless you peed them off, I thought the same when I got the rex yet I always get comments from people saying how its a gorgeous car when I park up in town and thats from people Id normally be worried about walking past it if you know what I mean....
Well **** me, Ive come home tonight and noticed some little T\/\/AT has keyed my fooking car. to say Im pi55ed off is an understatement.... How long ago was it I said I never had any problems

Some cvnts gonna pay
Old 29 October 2005, 01:22 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Ed,

Why don't you join the P1 club run by Damon Hill? IIRC it costs about £12k a year and you get a choice of all the exotic cars, Ferraris, Porsches, Astons etc.

You'll lose more than £12k in depreciation alone on an expensive car.
Old 29 October 2005, 01:26 AM
big MO
Scooby Regular

Ed,

Going back to your first post. Get the F355, no matter what colour if you can afford to have it as a sunday driving tool. Daily usage will kill it and your wallet. Get a cheap run around too. Personally, if it was my choice for daily usage, I'd go for the CSL as you mentioned. If you can afford it, get both!!!! A pure dream.
Old 29 October 2005, 04:51 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1916v
My barber has just bought a 355 Spider, looks very nice it does in red with black leather
So, do you still want to buy a hairdresser's car??

Old 29 October 2005, 09:46 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

IMHO 355 prices have done their main depreciation, 360s are now doing theres.
I had a red/black 360f1 from November03 until May04 and loved every last second of it. Did 3000 miles.
Now I was incredibly lucky, I got it through a contact in the trade and sold it (< whisper mode >for more than I paid for it *chuckle* </ whisper mode > BUT I was very lucky. The car came from a main dealer not two months before I had it, it had numerous problems that should have been sorted under warranty but weren't, I had a problem with engine mounts sorted but come sale time, the ECU should have been changed (recall not done) and the clutch was very worn. Main dealers are sometimes not as 'trustworthy' as they should be!
If you are doing the deed - and you should - be very careful, do your home work, check all recalls have been done, ideally run it to a main dealer and pay them to check it over, could be a £300-500 well spent, for example, you'd find out how worn the clutch was!. If the car is in the slightest bit iffy walk away. There will be others.

During my ownership experience I bought it, insured it, taxed it, put a new battery in and fueled it, fueled it and continuously fueled it. Insurance was a very surprising 1050 through Liverpool Victoria and the battery was £60. I didn't service it.

Verdi are doing fixed price servicing now.
http://www.verdiferrari.biz/servicing.htm

I don't regret it for one second but I wouldn't do it again unless money really was no object.
Old 29 October 2005, 10:15 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Oh, I forgot about the Spider, now that is a bit of a playboy's toy, get one with a roof or you will look a complete tool, also getting a more subtle colour could help, they look good in that mettalic dark blue but getting away from the Ferrari red is difficult, so tempting but they do stand out a bit too much for daily use.

Dave, what car got keyed, surely not an old R5 turbo, cant imagine they illicit much envy nowadays from the average pleb ?
Old 29 October 2005, 10:57 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1916v
It was the belt change I remember being loads more on the 355 than 360, can't remember where I read it
The belt change on an F355 is an engine-out job, although some indies are now doing it by leaving the engine in-situ and removing the fuel tank.

On the 360, they solved this by putting an access panel in the rear bulkhead to give access to the belts without removing the engine.
Old 29 October 2005, 11:47 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It doesnt really matter, everyone will assume its a kitted up MR2 !

Quick Reply: Owning an F355