Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Turbo charging a Mk1 MR2

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2005, 10:53 AM
ando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Turbo charging a Mk1 MR2

I'm looking for a new car after I get rid of the FTO. Now I've ALWAYS wanted a mark1 MR2, and as the supercharger one is rarer than rocking-pope's poo I was wondering...would it be cheap/practical to strap a snail onto a standard (decentish amount of miles 60k or less), MR2?

As always gents, thanks in advance...
Old 26 October 2005, 01:05 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I can't see it'd be cheaper than buying a Mk2 tubby, although I appreciate they're a different beast to the Mk1.

Try asking on anally retentive owners club they might be able to help.
Old 26 October 2005, 01:34 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

its better to turbo charge the 4age as you will see better power gains over a supercharger(people usualy turbo or twin charge it super+turbo, but that kits is rare and extinct). Its a strong engine and relatively low mileage so it should be ok as long as it has decent tune.
Old 26 October 2005, 01:42 PM
philz
Scooby Regular

The best place to ask is at http://twobrutal.co.uk/TBforum/

They have a specific section about fitting the 3SGTE engine into the Mk1 but also look out for Paul Woods on there as he's done a V6 swap too. He's an absolute genius when it comes to all things MR2, he'll point you in the right direction.
Old 26 October 2005, 06:18 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Years ago i put a Garrett T3 off an RS Turbo on a 4AGE..but was in a AE86 Corrolla.Had to fab up the manifold and used various Samco's to do the pipe work for the cooler and the intake.Used a Series 2 RS turbo cooler and mounted in the bumper from what i remember.
Had to lower the compression though,we did this by means of a thicker headgasket,which was imported from Japan through Adrian at Fensport.
Had to put oil dump from the turbo into the sump and make up oil feed pipes and water pipes for the turbo cooling.Oh had to make a custom downpipe too..
We had to use a MAP sensor of somethig else too..but i cant remember what it was for the life of me..
Overall,results were mixed but good..When we did this,and im talking about 1987-1988,there was hardly no import bits at all in the UK.No mappable ECU's,It was a play by ear kinda affair!!.There is loads more stuff available now so i reckon it may be a little easier to do the conversion..
We did it on the cheap because we had little cash but wanted big powerslides,and a Cosworth was really the only other motor that fitted the bill,but was serious cash at the time.
Unfortunately,the car was thrown into a field at around 80mph and virtually destroyed,but a good 3 months was had!!

Ehhhhhh,when i was a lad!!!
Old 26 October 2005, 08:42 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

fen sport will drop in a superengine for 1100k another 500quid on that you got yourself a sub ton 190bhp car

or they will drop in a 1.6 20v for 1300
Old 27 October 2005, 01:49 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys... not something I fancy doing myself, going to see if I can buy one of these MR2 "1.5" myself. Ralph, do you know any contact details for fen sport?

Really appreciate all the replies, always wanted one of these old schoolers, but I want something with a bit of a wild side

Trending Topics

Old 27 October 2005, 04:43 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Can get a bit hot in that tiny bay, but some have fitted the air inlet/fan assy to both sides.

Fantastic car to drive, had 2, one 90k then bought one 1 year old at 15k. Thing is, they felt exactly the same to drive, just less tappet noise. Get a post 87 (i think) car, better brakes and larger diameter rear shocks that gave a better controlled rear end (beter inlet & ECU too)

Turbo's on small,light cars can ruin the declicacy of the handling, the super option is better, but what about the 5 valve head 4A engine ?

Oh and the link's http://www.fensport.co.uk/. Good company

Last edited by Gary C; 27 October 2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 27 October 2005, 05:15 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

ive seen numerous 3s-gte engine conversions too
Old 27 October 2005, 08:34 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Found a chap to do the full conversion for me! £3k, sounds like the perfect toy for that price!

http://twobrutal.co.uk/TBforum/showt...=8541#post8541

Well made up

I'm saving my coppers...