Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MG ROVER 75

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2005, 02:02 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MG ROVER 75

What does anyone know about these, i know people think they are crap.My mate at work is looking to buy one, so any info would be helpful. Reliability, engine choices(best one) and all the usual stuff. I will pass any remarks on to him, cheers.
Old 23 October 2005, 08:36 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the few decent cars that mg/rover made in the last 10 years. Maybe actuall THE only decent car that they made over the last 10 years
Old 23 October 2005, 09:35 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I quite fancied one of these myself. Especially the ZT-T. Read a lot of good things about them and really reasonable prices. Only thing that put me off was possible scarcity of parts. Don't know if that's still the case though.
Alas
Old 23 October 2005, 09:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Alas
I quite fancied one of these myself. Especially the ZT-T. Read a lot of good things about them and really reasonable prices. Only thing that put me off was possible scarcity of parts. Don't know if that's still the case though.
Alas
Couple of car mags had new engines fitted before the 15k service. Big oil consumption too. I'd have had one if the car was dealer warranted but not now
Old 23 October 2005, 10:01 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Best of a bad bunch but that said - the rest really were bad!! I know warrantys can be bought and ex - MG / Rover dealers will be able to provide repairs and spares. Caterpillar logistics bought X-part which was rovers parts distribution division and as far as I am aware their are few if any problems with supply of spares. Can't comment on trim / internal fittings but I would look into availability before purchasing.

Good luck - as above the zt-t is a cracking work horse, ex-boss had one and loved it!!

Paul
Old 23 October 2005, 10:07 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments so far, i will pass it on. Anymore will be good though.Hi gingerboy, i see you are from nr cardiff, i worked on the millenium stadium and spent 8 months in caediff on cathederal road. Cracking town and cracking birds too,ermmm not that i noticed of course.
Old 23 October 2005, 11:07 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The diesels have the 2.0 litre BMW engine (though not their latest version), came with a standard 115bhp I think, though 135bhp versions are available. Tuning them was possible too - my brother's company car ZT-T CDTi was running at 180bhp (ish).

Petrol ones - best was the "190", though being a big car, it wasn't that fast. Sounds very nice, and was claimed to out-handle the Impreza, in one car mag. Best to avoid the 1.8T as that was "rough as nails" according to my brother! The 160s are cheap to get hold of, though a little slow...

No real problems to speak of; one car survey scored them as #1 most reliable car. Handling is good - quite a firm ride. Inside is lovely, very comfortable and well put together.

My brother's one had the full kit on it too, with pimp-tinted windows, cruise control, HK CD player, air con, auto-wipers etc etc...

Really nice cars tbh.

Last edited by Duck_Pond; 23 October 2005 at 11:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2005, 04:38 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

One of the guys at work has a zt,and as said before,its better than a jag inside and has a quality feel to it.If you can get over the stigma of it being a Rover then you can get a lot of luxury car for pretty reasonable money.
Old 24 October 2005, 06:07 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Seems all positive so far, but which is the one to go for? Diesel (but sounds like it could do with a re-map) or the 190 V6, but what would that be like on the juice? and what sort ofperformance do the two engines have, as well as economy.How can you tell the 160-V6 from the 190-V6, as they are both 2.5 litres.

Last edited by webby v7 slipperwagon; 24 October 2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 24 October 2005, 06:56 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

260bhp RWD V8 ! yum.
Old 25 October 2005, 02:43 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

The 160 and 190 are badged as such. Depends on the criteria for purchasing one, as to which model to buy. If you want performance, get the 190. Economy get the CDTi or budget get the 160.

The 260 is a beast, but isn't mind-blowingly fast - more of a grand tourer. Does sound very good though. Economy? What's that then? A strange one too - looks better in the Rover guise than the MG, but only has an auto box then.

Best bet is to look at something like Parkers for the performance claims. I think the V6s use a bit of oil, but then what performance normally aspirated car doesn't?
Old 25 October 2005, 06:59 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
The 160 and 190 are badged as such. Depends on the criteria for purchasing one, as to which model to buy. If you want performance, get the 190. Economy get the CDTi or budget get the 160.

The 260 is a beast, but isn't mind-blowingly fast - more of a grand tourer. Does sound very good though. Economy? What's that then? A strange one too - looks better in the Rover guise than the MG, but only has an auto box then.

Best bet is to look at something like Parkers for the performance claims. I think the V6s use a bit of oil, but then what performance normally aspirated car doesn't?
Economy is an issue as such, but the cdti seems a bit underpowered, with only 135 bhp. And it is quite a big car. Would expecting 30+ mpg on the motorway seem a bit hopeful with the V6, I once had a 328i touring and that used to do more than 30 mpg on the motorway at about 85 ish.
Old 25 October 2005, 09:20 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Economy is an issue as such, but the cdti seems a bit underpowered, with only 135 bhp. And it is quite a big car. Would expecting 30+ mpg on the motorway seem a bit hopeful with the V6, I once had a 328i touring and that used to do more than 30 mpg on the motorway at about 85 ish.
My 328i is giving me 31-32mpg on short & medium runs which is pretty good for such a heavy, powerful car.
Went to look today at a ZT-T 160. Was not too impressed although originally I really liked them. Open the tailgate & water runs in, back seat although leather was really cheap as in lift a corner and only small metal bars/springs holding it on. Did not have the oomph or the stability of my BMW and seemed a lot of road noise. lots of other trim issues. I was really disappointed in the one I saw today. Also on a personal note was very low to get into and I know my knees would not be able to cope. Wife had a Z3 before which I had to use for a week and ended up at the physio's as my knees totally could not cope with the low car. Ended up just about kneeling in the road when I got out
Old 26 October 2005, 08:15 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Is the rear load area bigger than a new age wagon?
Old 26 October 2005, 08:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has a ZT 190+ and my uncle a ZT260, they both really rate them, have drive my dads and its a lovely drive, as the previous poster said, not mind blowingly fast but certainly not slow, 8 secs to 60 isnt going to trouble Evos and Scoobies but thats not what its about, the ZT260 is quicker but still not that quick in these days of 500 bhp M5's and the like but its still a very very nice car with a decent turn of speed. The 260 cost 15 and a half with delivery miles.

Looks a proper grandad wagon as the standard 75 but the ZT is imho much better looking.

The back of the V8, cant argue with that !

Some solid engineering under there,

Old 26 October 2005, 08:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

I Trust your in full posesssion of your pipe an slippers....
Old 26 October 2005, 08:37 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
One of the few decent cars that mg/rover made in the last 10 years. Maybe actuall THE only decent car that they made over the last 10 years
why dont you look up the thread titled zr 180 which was actually meaning zs 180 and youll see everyone said it was a brillliant drive and you know what, it is ,,which is one of the reasons why i aint got my scoob anymore!!!!
Old 26 October 2005, 08:39 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
Is the rear load area bigger than a new age wagon?
Big rear load area. Seems a low roof though.
Old 26 October 2005, 08:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yawn, pipe and slippers, old mans car, could be worse, you could be driving the red Sharan in the background !

I will pass that on to my dad (58 today), dont think he will be arsed as when he wants relaxation he uses the MG, otherwise he gets on his Fireblade.

I suppose the 75 is the proper Pipe and Slippers motor, the MG ZT comes with some sportier slippers and an aerodynamic titanium pipe.
Old 26 October 2005, 09:49 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
My dad has a ZT 190+ and my uncle a ZT260, they both really rate them, have drive my dads and its a lovely drive, as the previous poster said, not mind blowingly fast but certainly not slow, 8 secs to 60 isnt going to trouble Evos and Scoobies but thats not what its about, the ZT260 is quicker but still not that quick in these days of 500 bhp M5's and the like but its still a very very nice car with a decent turn of speed. The 260 cost 15 and a half with delivery miles.

Looks a proper grandad wagon as the standard 75 but the ZT is imho much better looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...O/IMG_1262.jpg

The back of the V8, cant argue with that !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...O/IMG_1263.jpg

Some solid engineering under there,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...O/IMG_1261.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...O/IMG_1259.jpg
Is that underside shot, with bilsteins the V8 model
Old 26 October 2005, 09:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep, thats some kind of damper for the rear axle assembly, should imagine its to damp out any hopping from the LSD working.

It has been mentioned that the V8 one may be receiving a supercharger at some point, gives over 400 bhp.
Old 26 October 2005, 11:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

actually My last rover was a P6 3.5L S Manual..

De dion rear end.........liked a pint or 12.....:eeeK: