Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Auxillary Drive Belt on a Focus...

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 12:29 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Drive Belt on a Focus...

Has anyone changed one of these?

I have a squeal coming from my engine when I accelerate at low revs (it's an 02 plate 1.6). The auxillary drive belt seems to be a common cause of this but i'm uncertain whether i'll be up to fitting it on my own...

Can anyone offer any tips or advice? At £10-£15 for a belt against £40-£50 at a dealer i'm keen to do it myself if possible.

Any advice greatly received

Kelvin.
Old 14 October 2005, 11:59 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin
Has anyone changed one of these?

I have a squeal coming from my engine when I accelerate at low revs (it's an 02 plate 1.6). The auxillary drive belt seems to be a common cause of this but i'm uncertain whether i'll be up to fitting it on my own...

Can anyone offer any tips or advice? At £10-£15 for a belt against £40-£50 at a dealer i'm keen to do it myself if possible.

Any advice greatly received

Kelvin.
Can't help with tips on fitting but regarding the purchase of the belt try Partco - their belts are made by gates who supply OE to a lot of manafacturers. If you want gates branded belt for added peace of mind ask them to get one from Ferraris piston Service who most partco branches deal with.

Where are you in the marvellous UK? I may have a contact if in either Morecambe, Cheltenham, Harrow, Slough, Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, DSwanse or Worcester - outside of those areas I'm afraid it'll be straight trade!

Paul
Old 15 October 2005, 12:35 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 1.6 zetec 02 with the same symptoms. Its worse when cold and as you said under 2k but gets better as the cars warms up but never looses the "chirping" noise at low revs.

I've heard its a common problem but not serious. If you get it fixed let me know what was involded as it does my head in.
Old 15 October 2005, 09:36 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

There's evidently two things it can be - the belt or the tensioner pulley. Tensioner pulley is £40-£50 and a pig to fit i've heard so I thought i'd try the easy option first

Thanks Paul for the suggestion - i'll give Partco a try. I live in Bournemouth unfortunately!
Old 15 October 2005, 11:28 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin
There's evidently two things it can be - the belt or the tensioner pulley. Tensioner pulley is £40-£50 and a pig to fit i've heard so I thought i'd try the easy option first

Thanks Paul for the suggestion - i'll give Partco a try. I live in Bournemouth unfortunately!
Gates also produce the idler / tensioner pulleys.

Paul
Old 16 October 2005, 03:02 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Did one last weekend but did so while changing the engine...

The worst thing was trying to route it correctly, Haynes manual was eventualy called upon. That said the fact we had half the engine bay removed at the time may have made things easier. I'd certainly DIY it anyway.