Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

porsche 911 sc

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 04:35 PM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsche 911 sc

Considering a number of very different cars as my next purchase. everything for very sensible (mondern nearly new turbo diesel from ford, VW, Seat or Skoda) to very risky (Elise, 911, maserati, integrale, M3, etc)

does anyone run an old 911 as their everyday driver? You can pick up a nice 911 sc from the early 80's for 10K. Whilst they cost a lot to maintain and insure the upside is very very low depreciation.

Any comments or advice welcome.

Thanks.

Martin.
Old 28 September 2005, 04:45 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

10k gets you a 1988 era car. the "supersport". Miles better than an SC IMO.
Old 28 September 2005, 05:04 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You don't want an SC (3.0) - you want a later 3.2 with G50 gearbox.
Old 28 September 2005, 05:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic Impreza has equal performance, superior handling and reliability, and half the price. And a chav reputation.

Early 80s 911 has ****e driving position and hedge-seeking power, so I'm told.
Old 28 September 2005, 05:31 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Looked at 3.2 supersport before got my Elise. Nice motor but had difficulty tracking down a decent one for my budget of £12k. Lots of tatty ones out there with mega miles on them. Put me off a bit and frankly I didn't have time to waste at weekends driving the length of the land trying to find a good one.

Buying an Elise was a much easier task.
Old 28 September 2005, 06:08 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

I've got a 3.2 Carrera for sale that I've had for the last 4 years and it's only done 50k miles ! insurance £300 fully comp
Old 28 September 2005, 06:30 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Rallycool, I'd like the details on the 911 please.

Si.
Old 28 September 2005, 06:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id avoid the SC if I were you; even the later high output version isnt that much of a drivers car. The Carrera which replaced it is a much nicer car to drive and its a lot quicker too. The G50 gearbox is certainly sweeter than the transmission that it replaces, but this is down to the clutch more than anything. If your budget is tight then Id look at an early 3.2 and I wouldnt rule out a left hand drive model either as youll get even more for your money.

You really need to have the car looked over by an expert, though Id advise you to steer clear of normal car inspection companies as I can tell you more things to look out for here than theyll be aware of. Remember that even fully galvanised 911s are succumbing to corrosion; Ive seen an SC cabriolet that was corroded so badly that it wasnt worth repairing. The trouble was that this only became apparent after the car had a substantial interior fire.....

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 28 September 2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 28 September 2005, 08:11 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.2 engine and box
£188 insurance
Drives like this on the limit:

Terrible as a daily driver!

Graham.
Old 28 September 2005, 08:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Classic Impreza has equal performance, superior handling and reliability, and half the price. And a chav reputation.

Early 80s 911 has ****e driving position and hedge-seeking power, so I'm told.

LOL.

I'd always opt for a 80's 911 over a classic scoob...you can't compare them: A 911 is "alive". Scoobs are totally detached to drive and nothing more than a pumped up mondeo - Anyone can drive them, even limps wristed girlies with no muscles in their left leg drive scoobs. A classic 911 can't be driven by anybody. Some may think they are ****e because of that, I think its what makes the car, and makes it demand the respect it deserves to put the extra effort in driving it well and properly (otherwise you WILL end up in a hedge )

Plenty Scoobs finds themselves in hedges too (and lakes) - driver error...can't be the car can it?

Anyway, back to the advice. yes you can live driving one everyday. But they may not be everyones cup of tea...especially if your used to modern cars with PAS, ABS, feather light clutches and easy going syncros.

Bad bits:

The clutch is heavy especially early cable versions, gearbox is notchy and can be reluctant, ideally needs heal and toeing to get it work at its best otherwise it can a bugger...later G50 box much better, but not perfect ). No PAS, steering is very direct and can fight back at you (trick is NOT to fight it - otherwise you'll end up with aching arms). But this depends of massively on tyres, pressure, geometry and bushes (new tyres can literally transform the feel). Not an easy car to work on and service

Good bits,

Torque, anygear, any revs it'll pull - not many cars out there that can do that. Brakes very hard pedal but progressive - turbo brakes (or supersports) are an ideal upgrade if you do have a habit of cooking them. Steering very direct very positive. Very good handling...but must be respected...they do oversteer on lift off! Relatively good MPG (especially later EFi - LE/KE-jectronic not K-jetronic) but the noise they make is so addictive, so it can suffer . A good one, driven right isn't tiring or hard work, although your left leg can get a bit tired in stop start traffic jams. Parts are quite cheap considering (cheaper than scooby <cough rip off> parts ).

Ideally, buy as new as you can, post 86 is best as you get the bigger engines and better gearbox. There is alot of very tired and abused cars out there, which means you have a daunting task on your hands...check out the "Porsche Club GB" always some for sale on there. The bad ones are horrid to drive. Watch out for smokey engines (usually valve stem seals), juddering clutches, rubbery or imprecise/wandering steering, gearboxes can be notchy and uncoperative...but should never crunch and should be fairly quiet. Also fumes from the heater (leaky heat exchanger). Oh and must have decent tyres otherwise it'll do what Brendan say and become a hedge seeking missle (driven one in the wet with Avon ZZ1 tyres...NEVER again! )

IMO £10K is too little if you want a good one. Unless it's a really old car (70's), and more often than not it will need some money spent on it.

Would have one tomorrow if I had the spare cash...I sorely miss our '87 Supersports

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 September 2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: tyres
Old 28 September 2005, 10:27 PM
Scooby Regular

AliB:

That sums it up nicely
Graham.
Old 28 September 2005, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Cheers, it's nice to be reassured that I'm not typing a load of crap

Nice Porker btw - still got it?
Old 29 September 2005, 07:07 AM
Scooby Regular

Yes, just got it back on the road after a 2 year latoff while I mess with my Sti V3.
Forgotten how 'crude' it is, but it is my ex hill climb car so turbo torsion bars, bilsteins, nylon bushes etc, BUT, a very charismatic car.

My wife and 20 year old daughter will not allow me to sell it!
Goes like stink in wet or dry and is so simple it hurts.

Graham.