RenaultSport Clio 182

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2005, 01:42 PM
Gobert23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RenaultSport Clio 182

Afternoon folks,

After much searching and many a missed deal, I think I've found a car for me! It's a brand new RenaultSport Clio 182, with the Cup suspension kit and spoiler pack... Even the other half approves! (must be a catch somewhere?)

Anyway, having read many a review (Evo, etc) I think this is about the most bang I'll get for my bucks.

However, before I put pen to paper and sign away my life, any tips from existing owners?

Apart from warming it through nicely, should I pay particular care to anything? Known faults?

On a related note... can anyone recommend a paint treatment/protection for a new car? The last thing I want is stone-chips on my new toy.

Many thanks

G
Old 26 September 2005, 01:49 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gobert23
Afternoon folks,

After much searching and many a missed deal, I think I've found a car for me! It's a brand new RenaultSport Clio 182, with the Cup suspension kit and spoiler pack... Even the other half approves! (must be a catch somewhere?)

Anyway, having read many a review (Evo, etc) I think this is about the most bang I'll get for my bucks.

However, before I put pen to paper and sign away my life, any tips from existing owners?

Apart from warming it through nicely, should I pay particular care to anything? Known faults?

On a related note... can anyone recommend a paint treatment/protection for a new car? The last thing I want is stone-chips on my new toy.

Many thanks

G
The only tip i can give you is if YOU like it then go for it if it feels right.

Great car, rated buy the motoring press, you like it and you can afford it - the missus also approves so what are you waiting for??

Enjoy it, wicked motor.
Old 26 September 2005, 01:52 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

G

I have had one since March (got 2nd hand with 4.5k on the clock) done 5k in it & no problems at all. Have a look on http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/ some good info & someone was recomending a paint protection product that they had done.

Cracking cars with excellent handling and 30mpg to boot .

If you don't mind me asking what are you paying for it. target price for a full fat cliosport with cup packs should be around 12k with the Tropy for 12.8-13k. Might be worth considering a low mileage 2nd hand one as well as these are available private at 10k or less

cheers Simon
Old 26 September 2005, 01:56 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

used to have a 182, cracking car for the money, cant speak highly enough of um...

paid 11k new, sold for 9.5k 12 month later, thats the kinda depreciation i like!
Old 26 September 2005, 02:12 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Had a 172 last year! Like driving a go cart! High revs on motorway, and had a pulley seal go, costing £500 to get sorted! French crap Im afraid! Dunno about the 182 though. I personally wouldnt touch one with a barge pole and I'd go for something with a better build quality, but each to there own, and good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Old 26 September 2005, 02:23 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Pay a bit more, get a Civic Type-R.

Pay what you're gonna pay, get the 182.

Pay a bit less still and get a 182.

All good cars - buy what YOU want.
Old 26 September 2005, 03:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gobert23
Build quality. Its terrible. I had a 172 and on the day I picked it up it squeeked & rattled like mad. Dealer didn't want to know either. I had it back & forth to the dealer over 10 times for various ill fitting parts (dash). Worst car I've ever owned cos of build quality. Couldn't wait to get rid.
Old 26 September 2005, 04:08 PM
Gobert23
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, I though about a Civic Type-R, but the servicing costs for Honda have put me off...

Yes, the 3-year warranty is appealing, as long as I don't have to keep going back. 12K services appeal as well, as I'm only doing about 8K a year.

The only thing that I found a bit strange was the driving position, which was a bit "sit-up-and-beg", but I guess I'd get used to that...

For £12K I can't think of much else... A Fabia vRS might've made the grade or a SEAT of some sort, but then I'm not going to get the leather/alacantara, etc.

I was offered the Trophy for £13K, but the 182 is more practical (sad, but true...)

Things I need in a car...

A back seat (that'll fit a growing 5 year old...) and boot (enough for a shopping/suitcase).

Leather interior woudl be nice...

Air-con...

Plenty of torque...

Sub-£12K, but has at least 2 years of warranty in the price.

Less than 3 years old.

G
Old 26 September 2005, 04:16 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Build quality. Its terrible.
Occasionally a car is but most are fine.
Use the search function as there have been endless threads on this fine car