Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf GT TDI re-map

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2005, 11:28 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf GT TDI re-map

i've got the above car and i'm thinking of having it re-mapped, spoke to jabbasport who seem switched on guys, anyone had this done by them and if yes are you happy?
Old 23 September 2005, 11:31 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

My mate had one of these, and I had it for a day or so and I must say I was impressed to say the least being its a TDI, but did feel it needed the suspension sorted

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
i've got the above car and i'm thinking of having it re-mapped, spoke to jabbasport which seem switched on guys, anyone had this done by them and if yes are you happy?
Old 23 September 2005, 11:52 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

mines a GT model and has got the optional sports suspension so handles ok, the re-map is what i'm most interested in.
Old 24 September 2005, 06:16 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my fabia VRS done by them today, it's the generic one (as opposed to custom), it's quoted as being 180bhp @ 320lb/ft (rolling road not included)
Driving back home on the A1 there's a lot more smoke on boost and wayyyy more mid range and top end - i'm not sure if all diesels smoke a lot more when chipped?
For the money £320 it was a lot cheaper than most (Revo £499 + vat + fitting) and more torquey and with Jabba being so well know in the VAG world that was what tempted me
Old 24 September 2005, 07:13 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

How long does it take them to do the mapping?
Old 24 September 2005, 07:37 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

they quoted me £400 and said my car would be about 190bhp and they would dyno run it before and after to compare figures, most he said has put out about 185 to 200bhp which sounds good especially since its going on the rollers too for that money
Old 24 September 2005, 08:12 PM
RB5#111
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just to add my two pence worth

First of all Dave i would think carefully about going the Revo route.
I have heard a few stories about turbo problems with Revo'd cars as the Revo map may increase boost pressure.
The PD engines run high boost pressure anyway, my Fabia VRS is over 22psi standard :O

Jabba are the leaders in VAG TDI tuning and i would consider them as the top choice, i hav'nt got mine done....yet! but reading on forums everyone seems very pleased after being Jabba'd.

Robby - Are you the chap who posted this on Briskoda ?
Anyway..yes they do smoke more as the map alters the amount of fuel going in.
Are you pleased with the map, considering getting mine Jabba'd in the new year.

Matt
Old 24 September 2005, 08:53 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

You may also want to speak to JBS Auto Design they know their VAG onions and now do a custom code remap that is said to be the mutts nuts. Can't remember their address at the moment, google will find it for you.
Old 24 September 2005, 11:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

RB5 - yep i'm the chip/ smoke poster from Briskoda
after driving home (140miles A1, M1) i can honestly say the drive has changed significantly mid range/ top end, it pulls a lot stronger (6th gear feels like 3rd), it's the smoke coming out which worries me a little but then it is a diesel so i should expect some?
Dave - the £400 you were quoted sounds like the custom chip, this is supposed to be better as it's tailored to you and your car (ask for economical/ bottom end/ mid/ top end or max power), this takes a while as it's done on their rolling road.
I had the generic chip which is their proven program downloaded via serial port, i wa told it'd take upto an hour but i was there for almost 2 (was chatting with other customers in lounge so didn't notice time) - i got this at a group buy price on Briskoda at 10% discount (paid £292.50) which was to good to miss
Old 24 September 2005, 11:40 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

yes thats right mate it is a custom map that he offered me, he said they'll put the car on the rollers then re-map it to give the best the ecu can give, had my last impreza tek 3 mapped which is the same sort of thing and gives excellent results so i'm keen to have that sort of re-map done again
Old 25 September 2005, 09:48 AM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
i've got the above car and i'm thinking of having it re-mapped, spoke to jabbasport who seem switched on guys, anyone had this done by them and if yes are you happy?
Jabbasport have a reasonably good reputation with loads of happy customers, only general comment is that their rolling road is optimistic to say the least...

Revo are also a very good option, with thousands of remaps running in the UK, this is the option I chose for my PD150, and have never looked back.. (cost a straight £499 as the dealer wasnt VAT registered).. Despite what the non-believers say, 185+ Hp and 390Nm torque make it a quick car.

What I can say is that whoever you choose you wont look back, as it totally transforms the car..

Few more comments from this current thread:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=457014
Old 25 September 2005, 12:13 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
RB5 - yep i'm the chip/ smoke poster from Briskoda
after driving home (140miles A1, M1) i can honestly say the drive has changed significantly mid range/ top end, it pulls a lot stronger (6th gear feels like 3rd), it's the smoke coming out which worries me a little but then it is a diesel so i should expect some?
Dave - the £400 you were quoted sounds like the custom chip, this is supposed to be better as it's tailored to you and your car (ask for economical/ bottom end/ mid/ top end or max power), this takes a while as it's done on their rolling road.
I had the generic chip which is their proven program downloaded via serial port, i wa told it'd take upto an hour but i was there for almost 2 (was chatting with other customers in lounge so didn't notice time) - i got this at a group buy price on Briskoda at 10% discount (paid £292.50) which was to good to miss
I had a remapped BMW 330d, excellent car and WRX quick on a motorway but smoked like I had a bonfire in the boot.

It was great for getting away from enemies a la James Bond
Old 25 September 2005, 12:45 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
i had my fabia VRS done by them today, it's the generic one (as opposed to custom), it's quoted as being 180bhp @ 320lb/ft (rolling road not included)
Driving back home on the A1 there's a lot more smoke on boost and wayyyy more mid range and top end - i'm not sure if all diesels smoke a lot more when chipped?
For the money £320 it was a lot cheaper than most (Revo £499 + vat + fitting) and more torquey and with Jabba being so well know in the VAG world that was what tempted me
dats savage torque man
Old 25 September 2005, 12:55 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
dats savage torque man
not bad - i think standard is aroung the 210lb/ft which isn't bad

on the way home from Jabba i er went along the private runway (ahem) pushing between 85 and 115 for quite a while and still averaged 53.6mpg (according to obc)
Old 25 September 2005, 01:18 PM
vader
Scooby Regular

nice one, i am always tempted to get MY TD done, but its the emissions come MOT time
Old 25 September 2005, 02:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vader
nice one, i am always tempted to get MY TD done, but its the emissions come MOT time
yep thats whats bothering me - the emmisions, but thats 18 months away and i wont have the car by then
Old 25 September 2005, 03:00 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vader
No smoke problem with the Revo map, plus with the Revo you can just plug in the SPS device and set back to standard in a few secs... You can do a similar thing with custom code too but via a lap-top...

Chris
Old 25 September 2005, 05:07 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Jabba also increase boost and fueling, if you have a custom map just ask them to take away the last few percent at the top end to reduce the amount of smoke.
Old 27 September 2005, 11:38 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

For emissions testing, don't they hold the engine at steady revs? 2,500rpm??
If so, there shouldn't be much smoke as the engine won't be under load...err I think
Old 27 September 2005, 01:46 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
You may also want to speak to JBS Auto Design they know their VAG onions and now do a custom code remap that is said to be the mutts nuts. Can't remember their address at the moment, google will find it for you.
Depends where you are based, but don't exclude Star Performance in Fife. I got my Octavia vRS done by them and am very happy.
Old 27 September 2005, 02:07 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I had my vRS Revo'd. I was never going to get to Jabbas place so was best choice. Having said that the switch to put back to standard also was nice (although more money!!!). Mine is absolutely excellent - as you say much more mid range and power throughout the range. I dont have much smoke except the very top end. And anyway it's quite fun leaving people coughing my black smoke if I really go for it. Fuel consumption is marginally better as I change gear less and dont have to push for the performance. Overall I am well pleased by Revo.

Jabba also boost pressure of course, otherwise how would they get the results ? I dont really see any difference. I have heard very few problems on the Skoda Forum and Seat forum with Revo either.