Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MR2 mk1 mpg and ins

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2005, 12:24 PM
Tomos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR2 mk1 mpg and ins

My mate wont stop going on at me to get an MR2 mk1 for my 80mile commute (there and back, although il have a lift every other week)... i think i should get something a little more sensible, but i would enjoy something rapid for a change! So... i was wondering what the mpg is on them, and if it would be possible for me to get classic insurance on it with me being 21 and having 2years no claims. And if so, how much you reckon it would be!

Cheers

Last edited by Tomos; 06 September 2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06 September 2005, 12:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomos
My mate wont stop going on at me to get an MR2 mk1 for my 80mile commute... i think i should get something a little more sensible, but i would enjoy something rapid for a change! So... i was wondering what the mpg is on them, and if it would be possible for me to get classic insurance on it with me being 21 and having 2years no claims. And if so, how much you reckon it would be!

Cheers

Group 12 from memory for a '89 T-Bar model
MPG - expect around 30-32 day to day driving.

Depends on what you have to spend really. I might well go for a mk2.

We had on back in 97-99. Had trouble finding a nice one then!
Trouble is finding a good one we looked at 14 cars!, some parts only made by Toyota for example a throttle cables is/was £ 90.00. Toyota make them so can charge what they like for them.
Rear wheel arches rust like buggery and often filled.
need good quality tyres to help with the sometimes iffy handling, can swap ends in the wet and deffo on ice without any trouble. NO power steering on ours. Steering direct and precise
Engine is a 1.6 twin cam 125BHP, will not set the world alight these days but still fun. Early engines suffered from head failures - from memory, sorted after 1987 with a different head - blue lettering on rocker cover rings a bell.

Gearboxes a weak point. Check the headlights work smoothly and check for rust on the lenses.

Great fun cars if and i do mean if you can find a nice one.

I would be more tempted towards a mk2 for regular longer journeys as thay are more comforatable and have a more relaxed fifth gear.
Old 06 September 2005, 12:51 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a E Plate Mk1 MR2 (AW11) in the garage that I keep for "nostalgia" purposes, It gets about 30 odd to the gallon and insurance was £240 fully comp with RAC cover thrown in 76 thousand miles and in pretty good nick. I wouldn't use it for an 80 mile commute per day though.

I'd sell it but it's probably only worth £750 tops ..........LOL

Midlife.....