Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

very fast vauxhall astra

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 09:26 PM
NEWBIEDOO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very fast vauxhall astra

on myway home from work today I was travelling on the A19, when a black vauxhall astra pulled out behind me. He was a bit too close to my rear end for my liking (ooo errr) so I decided to drop the scooby into 4th and put some space between us ( i drive a bug eye STI type UK ). Well this ****er not only kept up with me, he ****ing went past me on the inside lane.

Now either my car does not have 265bhp (or whatever it supposed to be) or this astra has had some tweaking. Unfortunatley I did not catch what model or year the astra was, but it had some aftermarket kit on it anyway.

This thing was fast, I was gutted coz as a new scooby owner you tend to think that nothign can touch you on the roads and that you can out accelerate most cars ( as long as they are not bonafide sport cars) especially a vauxhall Astra.

I tried to flag him down to find out what was under the bonnet, but he was'nt having any of it. Maybe because I am a big bloke, and can look quite menacing, so the site of me pulling up next to him, beeping the horn and gesturing for him to pull over may have made him **** himself as he would'nt even look over at me.

Love to know what was under there though.

So the moral of this story is...I need more power.

Steve
Old 30 August 2005, 09:33 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

could well have been a Calibra Turbo lump with mods, especialy if it was an older shape Astra, like a j-p sort of plate.
Old 30 August 2005, 09:41 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

if its a new style astra then yeh there quick not sure of power figures but i had one for two weeks hire when i was working up north, now bear in mind i had a 306 td at the time... this things went like **** off a shovel.... so glad to give it back after 2 weeks i can tell you btw thats was an astra turbo bertone nice car, **** brakes even ****ter handling at high speed...
Old 30 August 2005, 09:55 PM
NEWBIEDOO
Scooby Newbie

it was'nt a new shape astra, I bet he couldn't keep up with me on the twisty stuff though, surely they can't handle as good as the scoob?

Steve
Old 30 August 2005, 10:05 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

some of them Astra GSI turbos are well quick. Very tuneable engine but chassis is crap so impossible to get decent handling out of them. I have had tussles with three or four of them and on the straights they are quick. Soon as a roundabout appears they are history!!
Old 30 August 2005, 10:12 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

i used to own in fact still do own an astra, been a member on migweb and astr-sport sites while owning and to there meets ad some v nice cars , most likely a calibra turbo as mentioned before 200 bhp out of the box and easily tunable to 300 and handing wise i would have said if the suspension had been modded then i rekon itd give u a run for ur money on the twisty stuff , thing is i bet he's had to sepnd alot more moeny gettin his that quick than you have gettin urs as quick as it is ?
Old 30 August 2005, 10:14 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 30 August 2005, 10:27 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

its ok ive got a scooby now ! no need to fall asleep
Old 30 August 2005, 10:56 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

There are 2 mk 2 astras with over 400bhp/ ton in my local car club! v quick in there own rite. But they do have the nerve to say there car is cheap n quicker that everybody ealses, BIG but tho, one has cost 30 grand so far and bin through 2 engines and the other 40 grand!

White one = 30K
purple one = 40K
Old 30 August 2005, 11:02 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Christ! Who's building their engines? Swindon?
Old 30 August 2005, 11:16 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Purple one is running a calibre turbo stage 4 lump n the last time i saw it on a RnR when the turbo cam on it jus melted the tyres n cudnt gt an assurate reading! Ne car will go with that much C.A.S.H injection tho!
Old 30 August 2005, 11:40 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Has the purple one been in Max Power a while back???
If not it was one just like!!
Old 30 August 2005, 11:43 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Think so, hes a really nice guy actually, hes and accountant!!!!
Old 31 August 2005, 07:04 AM
Barry "cillit bang" Scott
Scooby Regular

another scoobie driver who thought he had bought a invinable car..........
Old 31 August 2005, 09:13 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Why did you not pull into the inside lane? If there was enough space for him to go round you in the inside lane, then why weren't you in it, allowing him to pass you on the outside?
Old 31 August 2005, 09:23 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barry "cillit bang" Scott
bought a invinable car..........
when did this new model come out?

and what additions does the "invinable" come with?

oh and aren't the new astra turbos 240bhp and front wheel drive - meaning he was probably putting more power onto the tarmac.
Old 31 August 2005, 11:10 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

My brothers 200bhp Astra SRI Turbo matches my 220bhp bugeye (infact beats it in third gear) - both been on rollers to confirm power and torque but his extra bhp per tonne has peed me off once or twice...
Its not too hard to "phase 2/3" remap of ECU to take them well over 240bhp which would traumatise a standard STI - add a few extra mods on top and you have the scenario you mentioned.
Because the average hot hatch bpy racer cant see beyond Seats and Foci they dont get the respect on the road they quite cleary deserve...
P
Old 31 August 2005, 11:57 AM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NEWBIEDOO
it was'nt a new shape astra, I bet he couldn't keep up with me on the twisty stuff though, surely they can't handle as good as the scoob?

Steve
PMSL the eternal cry of scooby owner who has just taken it up the @rse.

Seriously your car is not that fast, things are moving on hot hatches all have well over 200bhp these days, and the hadel pretty good too, probably well enough to keep up with any scooby on public roads.

Theses threads are just classic...

Make me laugh anyway...
Old 31 August 2005, 12:03 PM
Abdabz_Bro
Scooby Newbie

I do have a MKIV Astra SRi Turbo and I must admit, having a car that in standard form can keep up with/beat standard scoobs, civic R's, Leon Cupra R's, BMW 330's etc that everyone under estimates is a real laugh.

Speaking from experience though, my car does not handle as well as a 4wd, purely because 200 bhp through the front wheels makes for "interesting" cornering.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:24 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Why did you only drop it into 4th - Were you going that fast already.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:45 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Road racing eh? Tit. And not being in the inside lane and making someone undertake. Utter tit.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:53 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Had a simliar problem Friday night down the M25.........had some old 3 series M3 in my boot coming out of the tunnel so dropped to 3rd and waved goodbye.....

then the cheaky little ****** caught up and instead of dropping down I just planted it in 5th..........he was still with me at......ahem.......but then pulled over cause I couldn't be bothered with showing him up anymore........

why do that? get beaten.........catch up.....get beaten again......catch up.....??
Old 31 August 2005, 01:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

could be a gsi or sri turbo with mods. i think courtaneys do a hybrid turbo for upto about 300 ish, and a phase 4 cossavaux (cams, turbo, front mount etc) is around 280bhp. on rolling they'll batter you, off the mark they have no chance, cant get power down (tried this with a mate who has a cossavaux phase 4)
Old 31 August 2005, 06:05 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
PMSL the eternal cry of scooby owner who has just taken it up the @rse.

Seriously your car is not that fast, things are moving on hot hatches all have well over 200bhp these days, and the hadel pretty good too, probably well enough to keep up with any scooby on public roads.

Theses threads are just classic...

Make me laugh anyway...
I agree it brings a smile to my face. I wish i could have seen the your face as he went up the inside, i bet it was like chewing on a dog **** sarnie. But get it ppp'd it makes enough diff to stop this from happening in some cases.
Old 31 August 2005, 06:31 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Why did you only drop it into 4th - Were you going that fast already.
My thoughts too....
Old 31 August 2005, 08:32 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

I currently drive a Mk 4 Astra GSI Turbo which has a stage 1 EDS remap and Cat back exhaust. My last rolling road showed a figure of 241 bhp and 260 lbs of Torque. Since the remap I have been able to keep pace with many an STI and embarass quite a few WRX's.

People do tend to under estimate the Mk4 GSI\SRI Turbo's which is one of the reasons I brought one instead of a CTR\Leon Cupra R\ or Scooby.
Old 31 August 2005, 08:38 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

QOUTE:
I currently drive a Mk 4 Astra GSI Turbo which has a stage 1 EDS remap and Cat back exhaust. My last rolling road showed a figure of 241 bhp and 260 lbs of Torque. Since the remap I have been able to keep pace with many an STI and embarass quite a few WRX's.

People do tend to under estimate the Mk4 GSI\SRI Turbo's which is one of the reasons I brought one instead of a CTR\Leon Cupra R\ or Scooby /QOUTE

I can well belive it, i was looking at a turbo too b4 i got the scooby , just ive always wanted a scoob and i luv the sound, u wouldnt catch me trying to beat them since owning a vaux for sometime ive gained a respect for them.
Old 31 August 2005, 10:04 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ppp the sti