Mercedes E320 Cdi

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2005, 09:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes E320 Cdi

Hi peeps,

My old man is looking to go for one of these, it will either be new or within a year old

Anyone got one ???

Any pointers

TIA
Old 17 August 2005, 09:03 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Lookin at a new or year old model you're talkin the latest shape (W211), these are rocket ships as far as diesels go. Have a look at the comparison with the E320 petrol and you will be surprised, the diesel has the same 0-60 and top speed but with much better fuel economy (obviously) and is cheaper to buy to boot! There have been some build quality and electronic unit issues with the earlier ones, first production was march 2002, but these have mostly been ironed out with numerous recalls (check they have been done). The engines are of typical merc quality and will do stoopid high mileages, all in all a bloody good drive
Old 17 August 2005, 12:11 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

I have a year old (W211) Estate one. Pretty impressed on the whole. The dealers are so so though these days. Reliability / build quality fine. Had a couple of recalls on the electronic brakes but they are a precautionary thing.

I'd go for Avantgarde Spec like mine. I also added sports suspension and 17's. The E320cdi as of the last month or so has just been replaced with a newer engine (and there's a slightly better value sport pack than the one I cobbled together myself from the options list!). They look best in Silver in Black IMHO. Feels nice and quick.. Economy around 35mpg in reality when driven "properly". Spacious and well thought out interior.

If I was buying now I'd go for a 535d Sport Estate, but this wasn't around when I got mine (and costs more anyway).