Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Economical driving?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 06:37 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Economical driving?

With the massive hike in fuel prices recently im thinking of ways to to make my 80 miles round trip in my 306 DT to work easier on my pocket.

So what is the best speed to drive to work?
I have to do 60 miles on the motorway and 20 miles fast A road.
I work shifts so im never in the rush hour traffic?

My car is well maintained and tyre pressures are correct.

Any tips for economical driving?

Scott
Old 15 August 2005, 07:14 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Dont over-rev, but also dont labour the engine in too high a gear. I was always told accelerating up to speed "briskly, but not harshly" was the most efficient way to get up to speed. Keeping the rpm over 2k, but less than 4.5k seems best for me, but all cars will be differenty with their power delivery.

Plan well ahead, looking for lane obstructions, corners, junctions etc WELL in advance so you dont have to break for them then re-accelerate. You ideal is just drifting along with minimal presure on the accelerator. ie if there is a red light ahead, lift off slightly and coast towards reducing speed till it changes so you dont have to stop or loose too much speed then re-accelerate.
When travelling at quiet times, I amuse myself by setting challenges like never having to stop completely anywhere through the town, or never changing down below 4th gear on a certain stretch of road. This promotes looking ahead and planning well in advance for red lights etc etc.

Seemingly, travelling 10mph slower on the motorway gives a significant %age increase in economy. I cant remember the figures quoted, but its true - I have noticed a decent improvement travelling at 70 rather than 80. 50 - 60 is supposed to be the ideal cruising speed, but is a bit too slow for motorway conditions.
Old 15 August 2005, 07:20 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Smoothness is the key.

& agree with above
Old 15 August 2005, 08:32 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Stop being such a homo and get on with it, you have a diesel- what more do you want, a friendly 'hand-shake' when filling your car up

kam
Old 15 August 2005, 08:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I drive at 90mph with the windows down, the roof down and often holding 4th gear so that I can toast the car in front holding me up as soon as he moves over - essentially its not different from taking a fiver out my wallet every 2 miles and letting go of it.....but hey, its fun, I get fresh air and chicks dig it
Old 16 August 2005, 09:19 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Don't exceed the speed limit, don't use your brakes, and use you eyes to anticipate things going on ahead.

If you are on the motorway, select your speed, accelerate up to the speed, and then slowly lower the pressure you are pushing the accelerator with, until the car just holds that speed, and than keep your foot fixed in that position. Sounds easy but it takes practice, not to keep stabbing at the throttle. If you are going uphill press a wee bit harder, again just to maintain your speed, and keeping looking at least a 1/2 mile ahead, so you can roll off the throttle if you need to slow, never use the brakes.... With practice you'll be able to go for 75-100 miles without touching the brakes, even in moderate traffic.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:11 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Wink cheap fuel

Don't forget diesel engines also run on "vegetable" oil with a suitable additive (not sure what it is but you should find it via the web :- found below

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

but don't forget that "offically" there would be a duty to pay. I think you can mix and match the fuels.

ray t

Last edited by Ray T; 16 August 2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 16 August 2005, 01:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Sod the driving on eggshells malarky, get some red diesel
Old 16 August 2005, 03:28 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Red diesel!

I would like to but how oftern do the C&E check for red diesel?

Scott