E39 M5

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2005, 01:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E39 M5

Anyone got one ??

I am looking to purchase one as i have to get a car for the family as if the C class wasnt enough

So i think the way forward would be the E39 M5

I got a shot of one a few weeks back & they are pretty impressive

I am going to look over the forthcoming weeks !

Is there anything i should look out for ??

Does much go wrong with them ??

I am looking to get one as new as possible but would just like a few pointers

TIA
Old 02 July 2005, 01:36 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

stick the topic in here...

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/for...ics.asp?FID=18

There is a specific M5 forum somwhere........

nice one for sale here...(no connection to me)

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/topi...TOPIC_ID=31238
Old 07 July 2005, 02:30 PM
M5_POWER
Scooby Regular

If you could wait till Aug 14th, u could have mine.

But what you need and a must is bmw warranty and satnav/comms pack.

The warranty is essential, its brill covers everything, even has mot insurance. Its a must as things can go wrong and cost twice the price of scooby's to fix.

The satnav/comms thing becomes a problem when it comes to resale.

Comms pack is, tv, teletext, satnav integrated phone.

I have options such as eletric rear blind, side blinds, rear child seat boasters, glass elec sunroof and xenons.

But the most important of all is BMW warranty. You can then fix your service bill for the yr without worries.
Old 07 July 2005, 05:23 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Facelift models start from Sep 2000 I think and have grey dials, Angel eyes and jewel rear lights.
Do you want to swap your Porsche for the weekend to make sure you like it? ;D

I found a good FAQ on: http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ubbthreads/pos...rd=UBB8&page=1 If I can find it I will post it up. There is also a few guys selling there M5's on that board. If you want a look round mine feel free I live in Bothwell.
My one was for sale in the Sunday Times. It does not have comms pack but was 5k less than others I looked at for the same age, mileage. Mine also had warranty and had just had a big service.

I bought mine a few weeks ago from a garage just outside Stanstead and paid £17800.

X Reg Jan 01
6 months BMW warranty
6 disk changer + business CD
Sunroof

Old 07 July 2005, 06:24 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

very nice M5, jer. would be after one myself if i wasnt saving for an overpriced, boring flat! what were you driving before?
Old 07 July 2005, 08:13 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
very nice M5, jer. would be after one myself if i wasnt saving for an overpriced, boring flat! what were you driving before?
I have still got the scooby. It's a reddish blue classic MY98 and have had it for five years. The wife want's to swap it for a two seater soft top but I don't know if I can sell it. I have done 90k in it and just stumped up £2000 on a new engine and clutch.

Last edited by Jer; 07 July 2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07 July 2005, 08:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Jer - Nice car mate

I stay very near you , so might take a blast over & have a look at yours

I am looking for one as new as possible & might be looking very soon as the porker might be sold

I will pm you soon
Old 08 July 2005, 07:37 AM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

I've just done this (sti03 to E39 M5). Bought mine private with comms and warranty. Don't belive all you hear about the warranty; yes it is very extensive but also has loop holes when it comes to "fair wear and tear". I've allready had to bully my dealer into changing a front lower control arm. Mind you, if you're looking as new as possible this shouldn't be an issue. Despite this I wouldn't change it for anything. As fast as you'll ever need and better mpg than my scoob!
happy shopping, monkey.

p.s. gave my brother in law a fright in his C4 cab on the way to france last month.
Old 08 July 2005, 04:56 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

A friend has a very nice one in very dark blue or black, not quite sure which...
Will try and get more details if you like... PM me in interested, car is in Dorset. Where are you roughly?
Old 08 July 2005, 07:09 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

I had one! Fantastic car. Absolutely awesome in every way. Would do it again tomorrow if I wasn't doing so many miles per annum.

Get a 2001 model (2000 X-reg or later) with comms pack and a BMW warranty and you can't go far wrong!

Matt
Old 10 July 2005, 12:46 AM
Snowy_RA
Scooby Regular

I went from a WRX RA to an E39 M5. Early 2000 cars and older tend to use more oil than the later ones (mid 2000 plus) as they changed the piston rings or something like that. However the oil usage issue can still be pretty random with some early ones using no oil at all between services. Get one with Warranty.

Performance is odd really, I come from a background of many turbocharged fairly light cars that were all whoosh change gear, whoosh change gear and I flew through the box.

The M5 is like being in your front room on the sofa, however a very fast and deceiving acceleration at your control (you just dont feel it). It's only when your having a play with another car that you realise just how fast that speedo needle flies round the clock, and you soon leave most others in your wake.

It's a heavy car but it handles very well on sweeping bends, probably because of the massive amount of rubber availiable especialy on the rear (275).

There are not many cars in my opinion that do the full package better, it is an allround car.. you can take 4 people to a business meeting in the morning and go race round the track in the afternoon.
Old 11 July 2005, 10:54 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

What is your budget?

I was tossing up between an E39 M5 ('03) or a Audi RS6 ('03). I love BMWs particularly the E39 M5.

I was convinced the M5 was for me, but test drove the RS as a formality. Unbelievably (for me), I went with the RS6 in the end becuase it is 1. quicker, 2. better built, and 3. the E39 looks pretty dated now compared to the E60 and 4. Vanos problems 5. The RS6 sounds like a Spitfire!

Just my 2ps worth. The E39 is a great car.
Old 11 July 2005, 12:52 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

You could get an XJR cheaper. Fast, good handling, but not as good all round I reckon.

Mind you I've never driven an M5, just my dad's E39 528 - that's not as fast as my XJR but easier to live with... better ergonomics, bigger boot etc.
Old 11 July 2005, 12:59 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowy_RA
There are not many cars in my opinion that do the full package better, it is an allround car.. you can take 4 people to a business meeting in the morning and go race round the track in the afternoon.
...and max out your credit card for new tyres in the evening
Old 11 July 2005, 02:35 PM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Anyone got one ??

I am looking to purchase one as i have to get a car for the family as if the C class wasnt enough

So i think the way forward would be the E39 M5

I got a shot of one a few weeks back & they are pretty impressive

I am going to look over the forthcoming weeks !

Is there anything i should look out for ??

Does much go wrong with them ??

I am looking to get one as new as possible but would just like a few pointers

TIA

I've had my M5 since last October & quite simply its an awesome machine, I bought mine as we have a baby & it makes a great family car. Agree with Jer here though, the BMW warranty is ESSENTIAL (which I have just extended at considerable expense), as is the full comms pack (Sat nav, TV, phone & trafficmaster) for resale. Upgraded leather is desirable too (either Nappa Point, which my car has, or the Heritage type which is lovely too). The standard leather is a bit nasty to be honest. The other important thing to remember is that it is rare to view two cars with exactly the same spec, due the large number of options available, some have the above bits, but also cars with double glazing (pointless IMHO), electric blinds, steel or glass sunroofs, various leather colours etc are around too.
My car will be going up for sale shortly (W Reg, BMW Warranty, Full comms, Nappa, Glass sunroof, Xenons, PDC, upgraded concert stereo, tracker )if your interested......
Great cars, a true classic of the future.

Steve