Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

On track again yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2005, 08:52 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On track again yesterday

It may not have been the 'ring' but it was good all the same.

Had 2 hours of one to one tuition on Mallory park yesterday afternoon. I thought it was going to be mostly theory and not much driving, couldn't have been further from the truth. I reckon I had 1 1/2 hours on track and emptied a full tank of fuel in the Leon Cupra R I was driving. So probably about 60 laps or more?
The instructor was very good. He had a look at my driving style and decided my two biggest faults were throwing the car into bends rather than driving through them and having an ON/OFF throttle, no in between. Took a few laps of listening and changing things then it all clicked and off we went. From his comments he said I picked things up quickly and my driving style changed from erratic to smooth and quicker.
Later in the afternoon we knocked in a 50 minute stint, about 30/35 laps without a break. The car handled it brilliantly, no brake fade, tyres didnt appear to go off just took it in its stride, very impressed. The scoob would have given up after about 15 mins.
There were loads of other cars on track, classics such as D, E and S type jags, DB6. Supercars such as Diablo, Noble, 911, Viper, Exige then a load of Caterhams, single seaters etc. I was pleased when Emma said other than the pax lap Radical and Cobra I looked the quickest car on track
It was a whole new sitaution for me today. With so many non track users out there the instructor had to keep a tight reign on me which he did well, fair play to him I say. It kept things safe
Anyway it was an excellent day, I manged to leave the car with knackered brakes, we didnt have any hairy moments, I got to drive a different track, overtook pretty much everything at least once and really enjoyed myself.

So a special thanks to the instructor, we may see him register on here in the next day or two, so eyes peeled and he can tell you a whole different story of how bad my driving was really

Took the oppurtunity to take a pax lap in the radical too, that was interesting to say the least.

A great day, much enjoyed, lessons learnt and I will definately take more tuition should the chance come about in the future.

Gary

Old 26 June 2005, 09:27 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

More vids next time please
Old 26 June 2005, 09:31 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

That sounds good. How much was it and who do you book through?
Old 26 June 2005, 05:25 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I didnt book it, it was a present for me so dont know how much either. I would suggest you go onto the Mallory park site and look at the Everyman side of things, they were the organisors. I think you have to give them a ring to chat about the one to one training. I would thoroughly recommend it though, loads and loads of laps....

Gary
Old 26 June 2005, 07:44 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Glad you enjoyed the LCR... good aren't they
Old 26 June 2005, 07:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Not the quickest car in the world but it sure held up to the hammering it got pretty well

Gary
Old 26 June 2005, 09:02 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Lol, nothing that a remap wont sort out...
Old 26 June 2005, 09:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I was impressed with it all the same

Gary
Old 26 June 2005, 10:11 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can also reccommend the Bill Gwynne Rally School at Brackley,I was there on Saturday due to my wife buying me a Red Letter Day Experience.
The instructor was first class and really enthusiastic and we were had no rev limits or speed limits as the instructor talked us through every bend and breaking point the Scooby was fab and I was glad it had rained recently as splashing through the puddles with the wipers going was brilliant.
The gravel surface was narrow and slippy and I even got into 3rd gear!!
Handbrake turns need more practice to be fliud.
I know there are lots of Rally Experiances out there but I believe at Bill Gwynne Rally School you actually learn something.
I now have my next few Birthday presents sorted as I am totaly hooked,but also hooked on the Ring after a recent visit,hope the Wife will be understanding!!!
By the way she had a passenger ride with the instructor and was very impressed and now thinks Schmacher has it easy.
Old 27 June 2005, 08:25 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I must admit I really have enjoyed the trackdays Ive done at Mallory.....you can book them through TSR for under 70 quid and no cost extra drivers. Good track for speed and a few tricky corners, no matter how many laps I did I still didnt manage to master the devils elbow with understeer or oversteer
Old 27 June 2005, 08:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Which is the devils elbow? The hairpin or the long sweeper. If its the hairpin its a very very very late turn in, you virtually have your front left wheel on the grass before you turn. The long sweeper just stick it at about 80mph sit in the middle of the track for the whole of the corner (steady throttle) and nail it late on the exit.

Your right though its a pretty cool small track.

The other thing the instructor told me was to forget every gear except 4th, other than the hair pin of course and after that get it back into 4th before the left hander prior to the start finish straight. Jobs a good un......

Gary
Old 27 June 2005, 10:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't need an instructor, didn't you see the bloody great signs telling you what to do and where? "TURN" etc.

F
Old 27 June 2005, 10:47 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

They made special ones for Gary.....20 meters before the turn in pont
Old 28 June 2005, 08:52 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Bringing it on ****'s ....... Before I was brave, but now im brave with knowledge

Gary
Old 28 June 2005, 09:32 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

What Radical was it Gary and what was it like?
Old 28 June 2005, 09:42 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

So, Gary - knock off 10 secs a lap on the 'ring now with the new found knowledge?? 8min 42 ????
Old 28 June 2005, 10:01 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CraigH
What Radical was it Gary and what was it like?
SR3 I think Craig. It was ok mate, didnt feel as exciting as your XTR4 though, although that may have been due to the driver and the circuit.

SeniorAP, no chance, the 8.52 was a one off, the car will expire before I get anywhere near that again so I wont even try.

Gary
Old 28 June 2005, 10:38 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
SR3 I think Craig. It was ok mate, didnt feel as exciting as your XTR4 though, although that may have been due to the driver and the circuit.

SeniorAP, no chance, the 8.52 was a one off, the car will expire before I get anywhere near that again so I wont even try.

Gary

"expire". lol.

Good wording.