Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Golf GTi test drive

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 11:36 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Golf GTi test drive

Tried a Golf GTi 2.0 FSI turbo manual yesterday.

I wanted to consider this as a daily driver, as the the FSI fuel consumption and high compression are appealing. In terms of paint quality, it was better than the BMWs we looked at. Interior build was a bit of an assortment of cheap plastics compared to the Mark IV, boot space less practical than an Impreza.

The manual gearbox had a fairly light shift most of the time but was sometimes a bit stiff. Clutch was light, brakes nice and progressive compared with older VAG motors.

Excellent torque off idle - it will pull cleanly in 3rd gear from 1000 RPM, and very little lag. The only time it catches you is from a junction where you don't give the engine enough revs it will bog down. There didn't seem much point in going beyond 5500 RPM, but as the peak power is at 5100 RPM that is not surprising.

Traction quite good on smooth roads, you could feel it fighting for traction in 1st gear, traction control didn't interfere too much, and the steering remained uncorrupted, although not full of feel.

Road/tyre noise more than expected at speed but not irritating.

Wheel travel seems limited and I am trying hard not to compare with a rally replica, less still a modified one.

On the standard 17s and suspension the tyres lost contact with the ground too easily for a fun back road blaster, and then it landed awkwardly with an unpredictable shimmy from the back end. Any Ford from the last five years I've driven and owned would be better here, even the Mark I Focus. I thought that it would be leagues ahead of the Octavia vRS given the independent rear suspension and newer chassis, but it felt only similar.

A standard WRX down the same road would steamroller it and keep the tyres on the ground. Obviously gives you a few more options LOL.

So overall, nice car for smooth roads, but a bit too much road noise and the sporting looks/promise/spec did not live up to the expectation.
Old 19 June 2005, 12:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just how high is your bar john
Old 19 June 2005, 05:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And you forgot to mention the hideous "pumped up polo" looks

Simon.
Old 19 June 2005, 10:06 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

ive tried one too,and was quite impressed by the torquey delivery and how quick it felt,went round corners without drama or much involvment. at the end of the day though i felt the drive reflected its looks,subtle and solid but unmemorable. i prefered the a3 with the same engine but four wheel drive,slightly less involving but with superhuman grip levels to compensate,and a much nicer interior in my opinion.
Old 20 June 2005, 04:07 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

you are just talking yourself into a subaru-nothing else will do
martin
Old 20 June 2005, 05:24 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I think if you have a scooby and you want a daily driver the GTTDI would be a better option
I've driven both as my mate works at a dealership and the GTTTDi is a very nice car
Old 20 June 2005, 08:19 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by john banks
Tried a Golf GTi 2.0 FSI turbo manual yesterday.

I wanted to consider this as a daily driver, as the the FSI fuel consumption and high compression are appealing. In terms of paint quality, it was better than the BMWs we looked at. Interior build was a bit of an assortment of cheap plastics compared to the Mark IV, boot space less practical than an Impreza.

The manual gearbox had a fairly light shift most of the time but was sometimes a bit stiff. Clutch was light, brakes nice and progressive compared with older VAG motors.

Excellent torque off idle - it will pull cleanly in 3rd gear from 1000 RPM, and very little lag. The only time it catches you is from a junction where you don't give the engine enough revs it will bog down. There didn't seem much point in going beyond 5500 RPM, but as the peak power is at 5100 RPM that is not surprising.

Traction quite good on smooth roads, you could feel it fighting for traction in 1st gear, traction control didn't interfere too much, and the steering remained uncorrupted, although not full of feel.

Road/tyre noise more than expected at speed but not irritating.

Wheel travel seems limited and I am trying hard not to compare with a rally replica, less still a modified one.

On the standard 17s and suspension the tyres lost contact with the ground too easily for a fun back road blaster, and then it landed awkwardly with an unpredictable shimmy from the back end. Any Ford from the last five years I've driven and owned would be better here, even the Mark I Focus. I thought that it would be leagues ahead of the Octavia vRS given the independent rear suspension and newer chassis, but it felt only similar.

A standard WRX down the same road would steamroller it and keep the tyres on the ground. Obviously gives you a few more options LOL.

So overall, nice car for smooth roads, but a bit too much road noise and the sporting looks/promise/spec did not live up to the expectation.
I'm enjoying a Golf GTI at present. Not sure I'd agree with your review. It is a car that does need a bit of time to learn how to drive - not just a day or so. It is damn quick and the handling is great. The engine is one of the best Ive had. It does need a fair few miles to loosen up.

Ive had 9 odd Scoobies and for driveability would always take the GTI and totally disagree it would be steamrollered by a std WRX. I have no traction problems and dont find it fights for grip. Maybe there were some problems with your car.

What I would say about it is that as a day to day car its the best Ive ever owned, which is high praise as in the last 6-7 years Ive had 25 odd cars. When I get back from a trip abroad, the GTI is a welcome sight.

It also looks great and has superb residuals.

There are downside

Suprised you didnt pick up on - It lacks any character. The loan Polo 1.2 had a better exhaust note. I wouldnt park it up an night and then 30 minutes later go for a blast like I would of in one of my old cars such as a P1, M3 or even R32.

I'm on the look for something to replace my GTI.

Jonathan
Old 20 June 2005, 09:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I don't mind lack of character if the car performs well. If anything, something with a bit less "character" than a Scooby would be nice.

We tried a Mk V 140 TDi when the lady was after a company car, tried the Octavia vRS afterwards, and since the company are paying the fuel it was obviously a more performance orientated car, but usable every day. The new GTi didn't seem to have a huge amount over the old vRS in the way it drives to warrant the difference in price. I thought the 2.0d 163 BMW engine was in a different class so that you would always know you'd bought second best with the 2.0 VAG unit, but the VAG stuff is cheaper. Idles better, revs better, runs smoother.

I'm not sure what there would be to learn to drive on the GTi, I found the same with an RS4 and every VAG product I've tried. They simply don't respond well to bumpy UK back roads. Doesn't take a genius driver to realise that if you can brake later and then take off camber bumpy corners flat out in a car that accelerates better that it might be a bit more competent on that particular road than in one where the tyres are leaving the ground and it feels like you are going into the hedge when you land... sorry, I'm no driving god, but some cars give you clear messages to back off, taking some air far too easily is a good one LOL. The only way around it is to go slower, which means that during a short drive I reached the limits of this car's suspension travel and learned that it was unpredictable in circumstances that other cars are not.

I can understand feathering the throttle to the available grip and traction in a corner in a 2WD car particularly, what I can't understand is that I should need to lift off before I run out of bottle That just means the car doesn't have the chassis to impress me.
Old 21 June 2005, 02:40 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

I'm on the verge of ordering one as a 2nd car (just shy of £18K for an EU import) .. Can't decide on what colour I like best.
I tried to talk myself into another Scooby or an Evo but I think their image has taken too much of a battering. Also considered 2nd hand Boxsters or M Coupes but the Golf wins out from a practicality point of view.. For my £18K I was struggling to find much else that floats my boat, new or 2nd hand without going for something too impractical, unreliable, hairdresserish or expensive to run.
Old 21 June 2005, 05:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Greg, for £19k I went for an S2000 when faced with a similar dilema to you. It's not as impractical as you might think but only being able to carry one passenger can be a pain. Still preferable to a golf IMHO and I take your point re scoobys and evo's - a real shame.
Old 21 June 2005, 05:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Image is over-rated Think I'll just ignore it all and get on with choosing a car I like to drive.
Old 21 June 2005, 06:05 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Not that fussed what people think either but from a residuals point of view the rally replicas seem to be starting to struggle. Agreed the S2000 is a good option.. Very reliable and (other thean the insurance) cheap to run I hear. Ideally would like something with back seats, however small though, so the nippers can come along too every now and then. Basically what I'd really like as a fun car is a 2nd hand 996 911.. I just can't quite afford one yet Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way!
Old 21 June 2005, 06:14 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Well I drove a saxo vts and a classic shape scooby so I've set my stall out with regards to my opinion on image not mattering. I would say though that the S2000 is recieved much better by friends, family and other roadusers than the other two which is refreshing. Oh, and its rather nice to drive too john
Old 21 June 2005, 11:00 PM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

Ive also got a GTi as my daily driver, admit its a fantastic car and does need learning as chins said above. Found myself considering chipping it until it got afew miles under its belt and loosened up nicely. I liken it to a shrunken down M5, whereas something like a clio cup would be an M3.

Also agree that the car doesn't make me want to go out and drive it, but then CSL is always more tempting when the sun is shining to be honest! Its great if you happen upon a good road but you never go "hunting" in it
Old 22 June 2005, 12:09 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

John, I too have test-driven a GTi, and would support your comments made, as I also felt the handling/suspension to be limited on bumpy back-roads. In fact, my previous car, a Civic Type R felt more composed over the same roads. To be honest, I returned from my (lengthy) test-drive feeling "so what?" if you get my meaning.

Then on the other hand, on returning from my test-drive in a WRX, I promptly ordered one, which I`m "over the moon" with.

Just my tuppeny`s worth.