Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A4 1.9TDi buying advice wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2005, 08:56 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A4 1.9TDi buying advice wanted...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Now I've sold my STi V wagon, I'm looking for an A4 1.9TDi (non-Avant version). I'm looking at a <5yr old model and < 60K miles.

What advice would you give me and things to look for on this car? Stuff like:

- service intervals
- cambelt service
- warranty length
- common problems
- ID-ing a grey
- clutch and turbo wear
- body rust/sealing/issues
- anything else?

TIA.

Matt
Old 17 June 2005, 09:49 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Can't remember when they introduced the PD 130bhp diesels in the A4, think it was 4 years ago so there'll be plenty of these around.

Standard service interval is 1 year / 10K miles. If it's a PD diesel you MUST / MUST use VAG approved 505.01 or 506.01 oil (from a dealer, or Millers / Castrol do a version). IIRC cambelt is 60K miles.

Warranty is two years factory and 1 year dealer. If they're rusty, it's probably had a bump and a bad repair.

Engines are robust, the most common problem is failed MAF sensor. Symptoms are loss of power and inability to rev over 3000rpm. Some people go through one a year, others have never had a problem (my Passat PD130 has had no trouble in 30K miles) -- VAG exchange MAF is about £70.

Clutches aren't a problem unless the engine is remapped, then it will slip. Turbos last well if you take the usual warm up / simmer down precautions.

Can't think of anything else right now -- apart from also looking at a Passat unless you've really got your eyes set on an Audi. Passat's bigger, more equipment and cheaper.
Old 17 June 2005, 10:33 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by brickboy
Can't remember when they introduced the PD 130bhp diesels in the A4, think it was 4 years ago so there'll be plenty of these around.

Standard service interval is 1 year / 10K miles. If it's a PD diesel you MUST / MUST use VAG approved 505.01 or 506.01 oil (from a dealer, or Millers / Castrol do a version). IIRC cambelt is 60K miles.

Warranty is two years factory and 1 year dealer. If they're rusty, it's probably had a bump and a bad repair.

Engines are robust, the most common problem is failed MAF sensor. Symptoms are loss of power and inability to rev over 3000rpm. Some people go through one a year, others have never had a problem (my Passat PD130 has had no trouble in 30K miles) -- VAG exchange MAF is about £70.

Clutches aren't a problem unless the engine is remapped, then it will slip. Turbos last well if you take the usual warm up / simmer down precautions.

Can't think of anything else right now -- apart from also looking at a Passat unless you've really got your eyes set on an Audi. Passat's bigger, more equipment and cheaper.
Cheers, most useful. I've gone for the A4 coz I like the look of them, especially in black. I've kept an eye on the Passats too, but the trouble is my mate has one and you can't have the same car as a mate...

Any idea on service costs for minor and cambelt?

Last edited by MattPiece; 17 June 2005 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old 17 June 2005, 11:57 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Dunno about cambelt service ... hopefully you'll find one with FSH so it might well have been done when you get it. A regular 10,000 mile oil drop / filter / inspection etc is about £90 for the Passat at a proper VW dealer.

The service items are really only oil & filter, air filter (£12 for the element) and the diesel filter (every 2 years) so an independent could do it cheaper I'm sure.

One thing to note is, the PD-engined cars can run "variable" servicing, which means service intervals can be up to 30,000 miles depending on usage. Personally, I'd go for a car that's been serviced on fixed intervals (every 10K) ....

Like any car with ABS, probably worth a brake fluid change unless the service history shows it's had one recently
Old 20 June 2005, 11:11 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Default Cambelt service cost?

I've stuck down a deposit on a black A4 1.9TDi at the w/e. Its coming up to the 60K miles service, which I believe is the cambelt one.

How much is this going to cost?!?
Old 20 June 2005, 11:23 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

My wife has just bought a VW Bora 130 TDi PD SE, which has the same engine as yours. I rang our local VW dealer to quote for a cam-belt change, & he said £350 all-in. Yours should in the same ball park.

Last edited by Tim Caddick; 20 June 2005 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 20 June 2005, 11:55 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Caddick
My wife has just bought a VW Bora 130 TDi PD SE, which has the same engine as yours. I rang our local VW dealer to quote for a cam-belt change, & he said £350 all-in. Yours should in the same ball park.
Cheers. Yup, its exactly the same engine. I'll ring my local Audi dealer and see how much of a Surrey premium they put on
Old 20 June 2005, 12:03 PM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Just a thought - I wonder if anyone has tried booking their car into a different VAG dealer & got a better price? For instance, has anyone taken their A4 TDi PD130 to a Skoda dealer, as the Fabia VRs & Superb run the same motor & paid a more competitive price, or do the dealers know to nip that one in the bud, or do they all have the same labour charges?
Old 20 June 2005, 09:56 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I brought an A4 TDi saloon for a guy that works for me, paid 14K for it when it was 12 months old, it's now 4 years old and has just clicked over 92,000 miles.

I know he hammers it to death, but to the cars credit it's never had anything more serious than an indicator bulb go wrong on it.

Even though it's quite heavily battered it's probably still worth 7-8k in p/x for another A4, can't go wrong really.