Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

thinking about a nissan pulsar gtiR good idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2005, 12:03 AM
IwantAscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about a nissan pulsar gtiR good idea ?

hello chaps

ive got about 4k to spend on a car and im thinking about a gtiR, only thing thats bothering me is they all seems to be imports.

ive seen the odd uk sunny gtiR so whats the difference between the two.

the reason i want one is they put out proper power are quite light and they are four wheel drive but i dont know much about them and dont want to make the same mistake i did a while back by buying a mk3 supra with an engine that just loves to blow its head gasket.

im looking for honest views

thanks
Old 14 June 2005, 12:11 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

www.gtiroc.com

Think thats the address for the Owners Club... Probably best to have a wee look over there.

From what I've read, they run 2.0 Turbo Engines, but the gearbox and brakes are from the 2.0 NON Turbo GTi.. Once you fit a Paddle Clutch to them, more often than not, it will shatter the gearbox under constant hard launching.

There will be plenty of people over on the Owners Club that will point out certain areas to look out for when viewing them...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 14 June 2005, 01:26 AM
IwantAscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
www.gtiroc.com

Think thats the address for the Owners Club... Probably best to have a wee look over there.

From what I've read, they run 2.0 Turbo Engines, but the gearbox and brakes are from the 2.0 NON Turbo GTi.. Once you fit a Paddle Clutch to them, more often than not, it will shatter the gearbox under constant hard launching.

There will be plenty of people over on the Owners Club that will point out certain areas to look out for when viewing them...

Cheers,
Grant
cheers mate

had a good look at some videos over there, **** they really do move.
Old 14 June 2005, 03:00 AM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

If you want a pulsar, go for it, but a mate of mine has just picked a mint 95 wrx up in white for 3850, he is 23, 1 yr ncb high risk area, and pays about 1300 a year iirc insurance. if the iwantascoob is true, get one and dont look back!
Old 14 June 2005, 03:28 AM
IwantAscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob+Bike=Fun
If you want a pulsar, go for it, but a mate of mine has just picked a mint 95 wrx up in white for 3850, he is 23, 1 yr ncb high risk area, and pays about 1300 a year iirc insurance. if the iwantascoob is true, get one and dont look back!
the wrx is still firmly on the list.

am tempted by the fiat coupe 20vt but 2wd kinda puts me off and the fact that every one you see has dents all over it.

but a pulsar gtiR seems better than a wrx for the sheer fact that they are rarer.

southend saterday night, scoobys full of chavs all over the place like flies to burbury.

least a gtiR is more rare.
Old 14 June 2005, 08:15 AM
kain
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by IwantAscoob

am tempted by the fiat coupe 20vt but 2wd kinda puts me off and the fact that every one you see has dents all over it.

but a pulsar gtiR seems better than a wrx for the sheer fact that they are rarer.

southend saterday night, scoobys full of chavs all over the place like flies to burbury.

Don't go to Southend on a saturday night then. gtiR is just as chavvy as any other car. probably more so because they are so cheap.
Old 14 June 2005, 09:33 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IwantAscoob

So you're looking at a Fiat Coupe 20vt ****box, but you reckon that a 306 Rallye is a gay hairdressers car according to your earlier posts.

I think you should learn a bit about cars before buying anything.

GTiR is rare, but they look crap IMO, its a Nissan Sunny ffs.
Old 14 June 2005, 10:02 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

So you're looking at a Fiat Coupe 20vt #######, but you reckon that a 306 Rallye is a gay hairdressers car according to your earlier posts.

And it's still a datsun at the end of the day!!! An early scoob would make far more sense.
dave
Old 14 June 2005, 01:02 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mate had one , took it for a drive and it was mental !! but i wouldn't want to own one !! i think he spent almost £100 one week on petrol !!
Old 14 June 2005, 01:16 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

mate if you want a gtir go for it,tho there as much trouble as scoobys though probably slightly less expensive on parts this is a mates http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSCN0338.jpg
Old 14 June 2005, 04:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I owned a 1990 GTIR for 2 years and am coming up to having owned my MY00 Impreza for 2 years and out of the two I'd miss my GTIR more.

Cost more to run, repair, insure etc but was just loads of fun.
Old 14 June 2005, 04:24 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'd own one in a heartbeat if I had the room to keep it as a weekend car. My car is subjected to 700 miles a week and It'd be a bit financially crippling to put that sorta mileage on a GTi-R.
Old 14 June 2005, 04:24 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

No need for a paddle clutch unless you are pushing huge amounts of torque, i.e. 350 lb/ft plus(fair bit more than "Stage I"). An uprated cover with organic centre such as the Helix item would do.

My brother in law has had a couple of Pulsar's(he and my sister had one at the same time), they've been more reliable and better on fuel than his '94 WRX ever was, although maybe he just had an unlucky streak with the scoopyerpoo, I mean scooby :P

Biggest thing that went wrong on his one was the bit where the clutch pedal assembly attaches to the firewall cracking and coming loose which is a common problem on Pulsars, if the person who fixes it knows what they are doing they will repair it stronger so it wont go again.

Worth asking the previous owner if this has been done as it is a bitch of a job to do and not very cheap.

Brakes are a tad naff but thats nothing some decent pads and braided lines won't sort. Gab suspension, whiteline swaybars and camber kit is also recomended to kill the dreaded understeer

Last edited by Angry; 14 June 2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 14 June 2005, 04:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont bother with the Fiat, nice car but fragile, I had one and it drank oil and always felt like it was going to conk out, sold it and it did !
Old 14 June 2005, 05:30 PM
sti monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kain
Don't go to Southend on a saturday night then. gtiR is just as chavvy as any other car. probably more so because they are so cheap.
its a shame they are getting cheap, i know a few people with pulsars and they have owned them for some time now, and spent thousands on them. there seems to be a huge influx ATM with imports which isnt helping much. TBH give it a year and the cheapo pulsars (which are being bought by chavs) will either be either broken up for spares or ended up in a salvage yard. if you want a pulsar its a good time to buy as i can see the prices rising again as soon as the chav element has been disposed of.

same will happen with the scoobs but i see it being a while away!
Old 15 June 2005, 02:02 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I looked at buying gone before getting my WRX. At the time (about 2 years ago or so) GTiRs were avalable for less than Scoobs, and I think that's still the case. I think that as a sweeping generalisation the GTiR is seen as being less reliable than the WRX with many cars breaking clutches and gearboxes and pistons going on non-standard cars.
The vast majority are Pulsars (ie import versions of the UK Sunny) and are black, UK cars are more expensive due to traceable history and they run on UK fuel as standard.
IIRC the GTiRs I test drove felt a bit quicker than my 95 WRX prob due to the lighter weight but handling as std maybe not as good.
Since for a high-power 4wd hot hatch they are cheap by now a lot have been through owners that have not looked after them properly.
Buy a good one and keep it fairly standard and it's probably a good buy.
Old 16 June 2005, 01:19 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

I own a big power pulsar and i would highly recommend the pulsar .Get one through the GTIROC from a well known member and you should hopefully be buying a good one.Look for one with a big brake upgrade and also look for one with the whiteline handling kit/suspention mods as these are two areas that do best from uprating.Just make sure you do your homework properly and buy a good one,its just the same if you bought a dodgy scooby,it will still cost you.And dont worry about putting power through the standard gearbox ,a lot of the 4-500bhp pulsars i know are running standard boxes!All be it shotpeened.And finally,dont listen to people who have never actually owned one.Have fun.
Old 17 June 2005, 01:33 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
So you're looking at a Fiat Coupe 20vt ****box, but you reckon that a 306 Rallye is a gay hairdressers car according to your earlier posts.

PMSL,thats what most gtir owners say about wrx,s.
Old 17 June 2005, 04:44 PM
sti monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
PMSL,thats what most gtir owners say about wrx,s.
well i think the pulsars look hard as ****. i love the looks of these beasts, when you see one in the flesh its hard to realise that a small car could be running such big power! amazing machines. shame not a lot of other people relise their potential. the people who have never actually owned one or have an imaginary friend 'who used to have one' are the only people you will ever hear saying the boxes are crap . i know a few peeps running 350 - 400bhp and still with the std box
Old 17 June 2005, 04:53 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'd have one, but that still doesnt make them nice looking. I quite like the look of them, but you need to spend a few quid on wheels etc to make them look half decent.
Old 18 June 2005, 01:14 AM
IwantAscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I'd have one, but that still doesnt make them nice looking. I quite like the look of them, but you need to spend a few quid on wheels etc to make them look half decent.
well ive read through the posts and decided to go ahead.

erm if i was woried about the looks id go for a audi tt.(and before you say how on 4 grand thats cash i could finance a gay mobile any day of the week just not interested in this look at me ****), and when hairdressers in a 225 get blasted they will do just that.

when buying a car the sad thing is people will go as far as turning a suberb car down because they think it does not look that cute from certain angles, or that other people may look at it and say (erm not sure about the looks).

when will people understand looks means f**k all.

to many ppl now are worried about how they look getting out of there 645ci and walking into gucci, rather than how they feel driving a car.

image image image.

those who are not affected buy this image disease, i belive are true car fans.
Old 18 June 2005, 04:35 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

just get one, you will love it. hot hatches with good power a hoot Get a looked after one and you should be ok
Old 18 June 2005, 10:46 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Default Interesting things....

Originally Posted by kammy
just get one, you will love it. hot hatches with good power a hoot Get a looked after one and you should be ok
Did you know a GTIR is wider than a scoob? It's true!

I owned a UK Spec GTIR and it was unrelieable, but nice looking car.

Imports have cloth doortrims and electric folding mirrors, and an umbrella in a sleeve that you can see when then drivers door is open, comes as standard!

When theyre right they fly, but would advise internal mods before you take the power over 1 bar.

Upgrade the brakes and suspension as mentioned above, brakes make them bigger, just disks and pads wont do much, the standard size is tiny to fit inside the 14" standard alloys!

So as said above, try and buy a sorted car from a GTIROC member and you'll do fine .

Cal
Old 19 June 2005, 06:47 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I'd have one anyday! Quality looking big power etc... For 4k I'd pick one over an ancient scoob any day