Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault 5 GT turbo Intercooler question!

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 05:35 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renault 5 GT turbo Intercooler question!

Ive got a Renault 5 Turbo which im trying to modify to do trackdays, and was thinking of going for a front mount intercooler, but speaking to someone the otherday reckons that he gets loads of lag from it, so was thinking of going for a uprated intercooler now instead of the front mount, does anyone know which intercooler would be the best.
Old 31 May 2005, 05:43 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Standard i/c's are good as gold unless you're going silly on the boost. There's a fair few of us that do track days in gtt's on rtoc and the standard i/c always fair well at a bar of boost

Also, I run a fmic on my every day gtt and you don't get that much more lag at all, the difference is hardly noticeable. During the winter I run the boost circuit from the turbo straight to the carb, bypassing the i/c altogether (to stop the dreaded carb freeze) and I hit full boost at about 100rpm less than running with the fmic, and the volume of the boost circuit is about 10 times less
Old 31 May 2005, 06:17 PM
leewrx
Scooby Regular

i just sold my 5 which i owned for 5 years.

they are awesome little cars.most people have nothing good to say about them.but most of the **** who get hold of one,normally just turn the boost up without sorting the carb out and the charge temps. tuned properly they are awsome.when i was at the RTOC national day last year, one of the members done a 12.1 standing quarter mile.

that is the fastest quarter r5 to date.
here is the link to my homepage on the RTOC.

what do you think?
http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?Memberid=11254
Old 31 May 2005, 07:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

unless your running silly boost I wouldnt bother with a FMIC... improved the torque on mine massively but I was running 19psi with it and on a std turbo. personally anything under 20psi Id say stick with what you have... maybe even go for a charge cooler.
Old 31 May 2005, 09:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Got to admit the 5 turbo is a really good car, paid £900 for it and it had a brand new engine and gearbox, but the bodywork was a bit tatty, even standard the car felt quick, what other car can give you that same rush for under £1000, Still got quite a bit of work to do on it, but looking forward to it being complete.
Old 31 May 2005, 09:35 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Yep, you can't beat them for a pure fun car. People bang on about the 205gti and yes, it's a good car from what i've experienced. But the gtt offers so much more in the grin factor department imho

Where abouts are you scoobyboy? There's a few of us who take our gtt's on trackdays, usually down South(ish). Brands, Rockingham, and Snetterton which tends to be a favourite because rtoc members get a nice discount through www.uk-trackdays.com
Old 31 May 2005, 10:50 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Billgtt im in the West Midlands.

Ive got or going to fit the following over next few months hopefully.

Piper Cams
KTR 180 turbo
In car boost controller
Uprated head gaskets
Dump Valve
Stainless steal downpipe
Pace intercooler
Group A carb
Lightweight flywheel
Silicone Hoses
Scorpion Exhaust system
Pipercross Viper induuction kit
Uprated fuel pump
Roll cage
2 bucket seats
interior completly removed

Theres some other bits fitted or going to be, but cant remember from the top of my head, basically I just want a nice road/track car with not to much BHP, as I dont want to be fixing it every time I drive it.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:01 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

Well if ever you fancy joining us for any track days then feel free. Keep an eye on the message boards on rtoc to find out when/where they're happening

For track day use i'd personally spend my money on replacing the suspension components, brakes, etc than the engine. The standard engine will take plenty of abuse as long as it's in good nick. As long as your cooling and fuelling are up to scratch you should have no worries