Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VTi or Primera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 08:48 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VTi or Primera GT?

I seem to have narrowed it down to 2 cars at last, but I still can't decide , so I thought I'd consult the great car oracle of Scoobynet

It's the GT hatchback, and the VTi civic 5-door hatch, both on around an R or P plate, and for around 2 grand....

At the moment, I'm leaning slightly more towards the Primera, cos in that age of car, I feel that a less tuned engine may have more life left in it (?). It's also bigger, and looks better imo, but I do quite fancy the VTEC stuff

Any thoughts?
Old 17 May 2005, 08:54 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Primera GT - everytime!!!!
Old 17 May 2005, 09:29 AM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Whats the spec on a Primera GT? I'm more familiar with Civics, so would sat one of those but don't really know how it compares...

Old 17 May 2005, 09:38 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

My brother had a Primera GTe, and when looking for a replacement tried a Civic Vti. He was very non plussed with the Civic and eventually went for a Volvo T4. He still has a softspot for the Primera though.
Old 17 May 2005, 10:01 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I had a 92 K 3-Door VTi (1.6 158BHP) (7/8 years ago) . Loved it to bits. Grinned everytime I hit the Vtec.

Seems to me, you either love VTEC or you dont. Personally I never had anyone in the car who understood the slightist thing mechanical who didnt smile the moment the engine note changed for the first time and it just kept revving.

I personally enjoyed the high revving nature (and the fact that when you didnt want to blast around you had a perfectly normal, high MPG engine.) Took me quite a while to fully get used to the lower down grunt/turbo lag of my first impreza not to mention the fuel economy. (had an early UK '94 with the bigger slighlty laggier turbo).

Now rebuilding my MG Midget with a high revving A series to get back the lost art of high revs
Old 17 May 2005, 10:20 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a prelude 2.2 vtec and a primera eGT.

both cracking cars. the primera was probably my favourite of the two. good engine (not as good as the vtec but not far off), good chassis and was very reliable.
Old 17 May 2005, 10:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think this will be a choice to make up on your own

I'd go for the Primera for the good handling and comfort
I'd go for the Vti for the outright speed and acelaration

Given the choice I personally would go for the Primera, as I know I would tire of the Vetec characteristics.
Old 17 May 2005, 10:54 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Not had a vtec civic. I've had two primeras, though, and really liked them. Decent to drive and highly reliable... they were both the 120-odd bhp 2 litre, though not the 150 ish GT. Never let me down despite years of abuse and scant maintenance... I've got a soft spot for them too, tbh.
Old 17 May 2005, 05:20 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

i had a Primera GTe a few years back, and i'm still fond of it now.

i gave it some hard driving for 3 years and 40000 miles and it never missed a beat - and when i bought it it had 60000 on the clock. so reliable.

great free revving engine and fantastic handling for the size of the car but not the most glamorous car.

not driven any VTEC but i'd have another GT though.

Mic.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:32 AM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Interestingly enough, I drove both of those cars when I was looking for a runabout car to replace my Astra.
The Civic Vti ( if it's the same model I looked at with 167bhp?) is quite a bit faster than the Primera Gt but I didn't think it handled as well. The Primera reminded me of a big Saxo Vts (my wife had a T-reg VTS in the past ) in that it felt like it just wanted to corner and didn't "feel it's size.
The Honda had to be wound up more to go, but when you got past 5000rpm it really wanted to shift - felt much quicker than the Primera - and the engine sounded great.
I didn't think it felt as good to drive overall as the Primera though so I ended up with an R-reg GT. Very pleased with it
Old 19 May 2005, 01:46 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

If you go for the first shape of Primera eGT (1992-1996 ish) then the red line is set at 7500 rpm. Not quite a Vtec but not too far off. Much better handling car IMO but a bit bigger overall and probably not as quick in a straight line as the Honda...
Old 19 May 2005, 02:06 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

A lot of my m8's drive the 'E's' they think they are great. I borrowed one in January and it was a good car, cruised okay on the M way and not shameful round bends.

All they have ever bust is drive shafts
Old 19 May 2005, 06:49 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by SupaMiniCupa
Whats the spec on a Primera GT? I'm more familiar with Civics, so would sat one of those but don't really know how it compares..
150 bhp, and around 8 point something seconds I think

The Civic's 160odd bhp, and slightly quicker.....

I'm thinking towards the GT now tbh. I'm not hugely keen on the way the civic looks, although the primera's hardly an exciting looking thing either

My problem now, is finding one.... I can find Almera GTis all over the place, which I believe have the same engine, and are also cheaper, but I could do with the space, and the ability to tow a boat or fit my windsurfing stuff into.

Anyone know of a goodun?

Ta!
C.

...that said, I may be persuaded if I see a decent VTi though
Old 19 May 2005, 09:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Never owned a Primera but a mate used to sell them and reconed the GT was brilliant.

Had a 1.6 and 1.8 VTI, wrote the 1.8 off. they are tough cars!

The VTI's are well screwed together, never had a problem.
I Used to get around 30mpg, 25 horsing them
Handling damn good as are the brakes
engines are bulletproof as long as they are serviced regularly. put 60K on the 1.6 and the 1.8 had 80k prior to the accident. Never a problem.

performance is brisk. Had my 1.6 off the speedo showing 8K revs racing an intergrale so i recon good for around 140. will hit just over 60 in second!

The good thing is that they are anonimous, Police and chavs seem to leave them alone.

1.8 VTI's have LSD as standard or at least mine did.

TBH the 1.6 is freer revving but the 1.8 has more torque.

Thye gearing seems a bit high at first, you just need to get used to it, approx 18MPH per 1000 revs so at 80 it is around 4.5K revs. It does drione a bit and seems high but you just do get used to it.

They do not loosen up until aroud 20K miles

Paul

Last edited by The Zohan; 19 May 2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 20 May 2005, 05:55 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

They do not loosen up until aroud 20K miles
I sold mine with 100K+. Was just getting into its stride

I loved the anonymity. Used to give people a surprise that was for sure.
Old 22 May 2005, 07:33 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

In know I said I'd narrowed it down to 2 cars, but I went to look at quite a nice Almera GTi today, which is at a good price, and I can part ex it as well

I did look at the Primera as well, but just comparing the 2, the primera is a bit on the big side for what I need it for, and the boot's bloody massive. What it is really, is that I need some more space, and a good, reliable and quickish car, to replace me justy...... Seems to fit the bill anyway.

Anyone had the Almera GTi then?
Old 22 May 2005, 08:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an R Plate Primera GT ..... excellent car, did everything right - but it didn't inspire me at all, sadly.

I bought it at 6 months old for £13k and came from 7 years with a Calibra (which I loved) ....... I never did love the Primera, although it did everything very well.

I never had a grin, never looked back at it ..... I P/Exd it after 18months for the Impreza Turbo - and then the smiling began again!!

At £2k the Primara GT is a Steal!!

Pete
Old 23 May 2005, 11:01 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Put a deposit on the Almera Part ex the Justy, and cash for the rest... Should have it by the end of the week

Just need to get to the bank now
Old 23 May 2005, 11:39 PM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

My last car was a 97 Primera GT, loved it, handled superbly, a good exhaust, induction and advanced timing saw almost 180bhp at relatively little expense - great car. Here's a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...10227_copy.jpg

Upset a good friend with a old '89 Hartge tuned 535 by showing him a clean set of heels on occasion, suprisingly capable motors, very reliable too.

Last edited by Baggers; 23 May 2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 02:51 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Franx
In know I said I'd narrowed it down to 2 cars, but I went to look at quite a nice Almera GTi today, which is at a good price, and I can part ex it as well

I did look at the Primera as well, but just comparing the 2, the primera is a bit on the big side for what I need it for, and the boot's bloody massive. What it is really, is that I need some more space, and a good, reliable and quickish car, to replace me justy...... Seems to fit the bill anyway.

Anyone had the Almera GTi then?
I've had an Almera GTi for about a year and a half now. Great fun to drive. What did you want to know?

Andrew
Old 24 May 2005, 09:20 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Andrew Timmins
I've had an Almera GTi for about a year and a half now. Great fun to drive. What did you want to know?
One thing I wondered, is whether or not the rear strut brace can be removed - with a view to putting more stuff in the thing with the seats down etc... I don't mean permanently - just to get the bike in the back and so on.

Or will the handling go to ****?

What age is yours anyway? Been ok?
Glad it's not just me anyway

Looks nice there Baggers Hope mine scrubs up as well as that
Old 24 May 2005, 10:26 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

One thing I wondered, is whether or not the rear strut brace can be removed - with a view to putting more stuff in the thing with the seats down etc... I don't mean permanently - just to get the bike in the back and so on.

I would think that taking the strut brace out would be awkward, could be worth asking over at http://www.almeraownersclub.com/ someone is bound to know.

My Almera is a '99 V. It has been excellent, I'm very happy with it. Ride is firm but not uncomfortable, handling is . No understeer in the dry and you can get the back end to slide out and steer on the throttle with a bit of practice. Firm suspension works against you in the wet though. The engine is at its best over 4000 if you want to make rapid progress but is also quite flexible if you want to take it easy.

No problems to speak of, just a new centre and backbox in the time I've owned it and that only cost £90 including fitting.

I owned a '95 Impreza Turbo for five and a half years before getting the Almera and much as I loved owning the Impreza I haven't missed it half as much as I expected to. Hope you enjoy your Almera GTi as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:32 AM
bloke
Scooby Regular

I had an Almera GTI before my scoob...one of the few cars I miss, and in IMO better steering than the scoob...

One of the points I wanted to raise with you was the strut brace, but I guess you've already spotted it. As I remember it is bolted in place but I never tried to remove it myself.

Sometimes think of getting another as a trackday car
Old 26 May 2005, 09:49 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow morning............

and saying goodbye to the Justy

Should be good