Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The 911 red mist...

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2005, 04:36 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 911 red mist...

Have had a Porker 993 TT for some time now.

Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed that the porker attracts so much negative attention its unreal. I dont drive agressively but at least 2-3 times per week I either get a car sitting 3 feet off my chuff on the motorway, with a line of cars in front of me,or similar incidents. I dont provoke any of it.
In fact my brother drove the car the other day - and said he noticed immediately other drivers were reacting diffferently to him - tailgating, overtaking dangerously etc and he only drove it for 30 mins!

Have driven in France and Germany - totally different reaction - every one seems to love the car.

Seems like the green eyed monster is taking over in this country.
Old 01 May 2005, 04:55 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

i think its the same with most performance cars mate.the offenders usually drive a passat/golf td/big gay mondeo.probably something to do with car envy or having a small *****.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:32 PM
TRF
Scooby Regular

as above, i get it and mine is only a WRX. I just stick to the limit when someone starts acting the **** and let them get on with it.
Old 01 May 2005, 05:40 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

notice it most when driving the 'work horse' (old leggy turbo estate).....................obviously isn't allowed to cruise at autobahn speeds - have noticed mainly "executive" types with a slightly better rep-mobile are the worst offenders!!

had it the other morning with a rover75 (obviously p**sed cause he can't afford the Jag!!) - 6.00AM on the way back from the airport, all because i went thro' a ticket barrier before him (he got stuck in another slower queue??!!)..................proceeded to cut me up and show me how "fast" his car was..................

sad to say it was fairly easy to sit behind him!!
Old 01 May 2005, 06:41 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

I get hassle too in my Leggy, i don't know why but like TRF says i just let them get on with it. I hate traffic light merchants etc.
Old 01 May 2005, 06:42 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

mmm.... I drive an Exige a fair bit, and I find it cuts both ways, in that people either are really polite because they like the car, or realise they'd just make themselves look idiots by cutting you up, or you get the tossers like the old flat capped git in a battered Renault 5 who tried to force me into the kerb at a traffic merging point at all costs this morning, revving his 1.4 to death in the process. Needless to say I gave way and let him have his glory before he dies of a heart attack soon.
Old 01 May 2005, 07:04 PM
M5_POWER
Scooby Regular

Seems like the green eyed monster is taking over in this country

Hi, I have to admit i always, always go after a 911 turbo only because i want one, and when i had an M3 i always try to get an M5 in the mood.

I have done this just to test just how quick they are, not in anger at all.

But yes beware the rep man, i was forced to drive a laguna MK2 diesel for 3 years and yes you can get very jealous.

But mate in most case they wanna race you.
Old 01 May 2005, 09:12 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

I drive a 996, a leary looking one at that (metalic viola and GT3 kit). I have to say, I rarely get any bad responses to the car, no more than in any other car. I have noticed it a bit more when driving in other areas though. I think with this being an afluent area, exotic cars are more of an everyday sight and so people aren't so peed off/ jealous.
I drive the car like I just stole it too. Not in an angry or dangerous way, just hard and ofter (Ooh er)
It gets loads of attention on a daily basis, most of which is positive.
Also, I don't give a flying **** what other people think of me or my car.
Old 02 May 2005, 02:16 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Agree dont care what other people think but when you drive the car every day negative attention becomes a real pain - and plod are certainly more interested in you - been pulled twice in 1 year.
Old 02 May 2005, 03:00 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

have had zero negative reactions from owning a lotus for 3 years, only positive

probably not anger you are experiencing but people just want to get a good look at a nice car normally and maybe see you give it a good thrashing

As for tailgaiting that seems be be standard in the UK
Anyway its their car that will get pebbledashed by yours if they are tailgating
Old 02 May 2005, 03:56 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

Social envy is a disease in this country

You need to decide on some balance between freedom to act on your own choice, and friction caused by how other people react to that choice
Old 02 May 2005, 04:27 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Getting tailgated on the motorway at sensible speeds?
Just run your offside wheels onto the rumblestrip and kick up a load of the dust and grit that accumulates there.
Watch them back off as you give their bonnet a Hammerite finish.

Usually works
Old 02 May 2005, 04:35 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

had it the other morning with a rover75 (obviously p**sed cause he can't afford the Jag!!)
Old 02 May 2005, 08:52 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx

wasn't you was it James...........................LOL
Old 03 May 2005, 06:35 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should start driving like a loon!

I only get that from tossing nova boys and max power drop outs who havne't even bolted on their halford bits properly, I normally pretend I haven't noticed them, then loose them on a tight corner or round about.

If that doesn't work, carry some tools!
Old 03 May 2005, 08:38 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by porkerboy
Have had a Porker 993 TT for some time now.

Over the last 6 months or so I have noticed that the porker attracts so much negative attention its unreal. I dont drive agressively but at least 2-3 times per week I either get a car sitting 3 feet off my chuff on the motorway, with a line of cars in front of me,or similar incidents. I dont provoke any of it.
In fact my brother drove the car the other day - and said he noticed immediately other drivers were reacting diffferently to him - tailgating, overtaking dangerously etc and he only drove it for 30 mins!

Have driven in France and Germany - totally different reaction - every one seems to love the car.

Seems like the green eyed monster is taking over in this country.
England all over.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:27 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

you got a f00king quick car, drive it like its supposed to!!!

these people just wanna see just 'how' quick your car is, they're not expecting to win or even compete. i do it to ferraris/porkers etc.. in my Sti, dont expect to win, just interested to see how much i get whipped by, by cars i one day dream of owning!

wanna cruise at 70 get a fooking diesel!!!
Old 03 May 2005, 12:20 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Why should everyone who owns a performance car feel obliged to thrash it everywhere, just because the idiot glued to their rear bumper wants to 'have a go' ? It's that mentality that gives road-going performance car culture a bad name.
Old 03 May 2005, 02:38 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Why should everyone who owns a performance car feel obliged to thrash it everywhere, just because the idiot glued to their rear bumper wants to 'have a go' ? It's that mentality that gives road-going performance car culture a bad name.
Well said that man.The track is the place to thrash performance cars.Always has been.
Old 03 May 2005, 03:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to get all manner of hassle of other drivers 'wanting a go' in a MK2 Golf GTI, lowered, nice wheels and a loud exhaust, really tidy but nothing too ott but literally everyone wanted a go, even a bloody Lambo Diablo once, think it was the exhaust note that was the red rag to a bull.

Round here Porsches are so commonplace it would be very time consuming to wage a personal vendetta, if anything I let them out more to have a nosey.
Old 03 May 2005, 08:22 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

I've got a 911 and have noticed more bad attention with this car than other sporty stuff I've had in the past
People see a 911 and think your some kind of softy city type, which is bollocks because I'm a sparky.

Sod'em, drive it like it's stolen(when it's safe to do so)
Old 04 May 2005, 10:33 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

It used to wind me up no end, but now I just let people get on with their own stuff. I drive a 996 Tubo & wherever I go I get hassle from all sorts, though have to say Golf Mk4 drivers, Rover drivers & BMW 3 series (debadged to hide the fact its a 1.8) are the worst. More & more too it seems.....Mini drivers, not S's but just standard Cooper drivers, most of them drive inches from my bumper....yawn.
I just let them all get on with it....I mean the last time I checked a 318i couldn't do over 190mph, so nothing to prove.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:34 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

I switched in Dev from MY02 WRX to '99 996 C2 and have to say I've seen quite the opposite. In the scoob I would have people all over me - but in the porker its different.

Infact the whole 996 experience is just plain different - not better or worse than scoob - just different.

Actually - mine was a stock MY02 and lets not kid ourselves - its a shed load better. In comparison to an STi with PPP there isnt that much between then.

But a porker is just plain special (at least in my book!)

T.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:48 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
you got a f00king quick car, drive it like its supposed to!!!

these people just wanna see just 'how' quick your car is, they're not expecting to win or even compete. i do it to ferraris/porkers etc.. in my Sti, dont expect to win, just interested to see how much i get whipped by, by cars i one day dream of owning!

wanna cruise at 70 get a fooking diesel!!!
I dont want to thrash the nads off my car everyday when some ****** in a nova etc says I have to, by being 3 feet off my chuff!! Would be nice but would lose my licence in a matter of days.

Driving a fast car doesnt mean you have to drive fast - you cant in this country
Old 05 May 2005, 12:14 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by porkerboy

I dont want to thrash the nads off my car everyday when some ****** in a nova etc says I have to, by being 3 feet off my chuff!! Would be nice but would lose my licence in a matter of days.

Driving a fast car doesnt mean you have to drive fast - you cant in this country

yeah, can understand that.

if i want someone in a 'clearly faster than mine' car to give it some, i'll let them know i'm up for a bit of fun with a quick weave or something, i'm not one of the ones that stick up your *** for 40 miles trying to annoy you into going for it, if their not up for it i leave em to it.

used to always get annoyed when i saw people in scoobs driving slow when i had a saxo. realise now i have the STi, you just cant drive these cars to the limit all the time, just not possible, where as a Saxo/Fiesta etc.. you pretty much can! not talking past schools etc.. before anyone gets excited!

think when people who love cars, such as myself, see a car of their dreams, they want to see what it can 'really' do. they probaly feel like the owner isnt appreciating something that they'd give anything to own.

Just chill and be smug, you have porsches for gods sake!!

Wez

Old 05 May 2005, 06:38 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
yeah, can understand that.

if i want someone in a 'clearly faster than mine' car to give it some, i'll let them know i'm up for a bit of fun with a quick weave or something, i'm not one of the ones that stick up your *** for 40 miles trying to annoy you into going for it, if their not up for it i leave em to it.

used to always get annoyed when i saw people in scoobs driving slow when i had a saxo. realise now i have the STi, you just cant drive these cars to the limit all the time, just not possible, where as a Saxo/Fiesta etc.. you pretty much can! not talking past schools etc.. before anyone gets excited!

think when people who love cars, such as myself, see a car of their dreams, they want to see what it can 'really' do. they probaly feel like the owner isnt appreciating something that they'd give anything to own.

Just chill and be smug, you have porsches for gods sake!!

Wez

Well put
Old 05 May 2005, 08:55 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Was forced into showing an E36 M3 driver just who had the superior german sports car. Was about 10 mins ago going up my favourite bit of straight, 2 mile dual carriageway. He was stuck right up my chuffer when there was a car in front of me and there was clearly no where for me to go.
Soon took the smile off his face though at the next stretch of 2 mile carriageway.

And yes, I felt very smug that I owned a Porsche
Old 06 May 2005, 04:56 PM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

I don't have anything as quick as a porker or even a scoob but I still get satisfaction from speeding off from a tailgater when the car holding me up moves over - I abhor tailgating in any form. Repmobiles seem to be the worst - but a blast of MIVEC and the banshee scream of the 5Zigen exhaust and I'm off with them feebly trying to keep up

Re: some of the other points - I think a lot of ppl KNOW they won't win but want to hear a Porsche/Scoob/Evo etc at full chat so they push u till u think "I'll show you!!" Showing restraint may be mature - but screaming off at a rate of knots can also be fun in a controlled way Anyway - I only have an FTO but 200bhp NA can still cause a good few cars to decrease in my mirror fairly quickly...my next step is a scooby tho Gotta hav 4 drs as I have a baby now...seemed a logical progression!
Old 06 May 2005, 05:03 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pmacFTO

Anyway - I only have an FTO but 200bhp NA can still cause a good few cars to decrease in my mirror fairly quickly...
What like?fiat pandas and stuff.
Old 06 May 2005, 05:38 PM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
What like?fiat pandas and stuff.

Hehe Not biting....

Quick Reply: The 911 red mist...