Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help, problem with Audi A3 1.8T Sport Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2005, 10:12 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, problem with Audi A3 1.8T Sport Quattro

I’ll be well chuffed if any of you guys can come up with the answer to this problem. I’ve got a 99TQS and its running lumpy as anything, hard to start etc etc. Now, on the diagnostics machine it’s coming up with the following code:- PO341 (Camshaft Position Sensor, no plausible signal), I have changed the sensor but still the engine is running in safe mode, and the same fault code is still coming up. What gives?

It's not my car but a mates and he forwarded me the above text from his post on audi-sport.net. Anyone know what might be the problem?
Old 25 April 2005, 10:55 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Dont have a clue what the problem is, but after you have changed the sensor have you re-set the ECU?
Kam-Sorry about the duff help
Old 25 April 2005, 11:06 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Not sure, will find out. If not I assume we just disconnect the battery for a few hours and upon reconnecting the ECU has reset itself?
Old 25 April 2005, 11:10 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Right, just made the call and the ECU was reset after the sensor was replaced Anyone else got any ideas???
Old 25 April 2005, 11:11 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

This fault can be caused by the header tank coolant level sensor failing believe it or not. I had exactly the same problem with my Leon Cupra which is the same engine...
Old 25 April 2005, 11:19 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
This fault can be caused by the header tank coolant level sensor failing believe it or not. I had exactly the same problem with my Leon Cupra which is the same engine...
Is there a quick way of checking if the collant level sensor has failed? We dont want to order a new sensor, wait for it to come in, replace it and find it wasnt at fault.
Old 25 April 2005, 12:16 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Check your dump valve. Common problem on those engines.

If its gone, replace with a Forge recirculating one as it costs the same as the VAG part and is stronger!

Just an idea.

Had a similar problem with my same VAG engine....
Old 25 April 2005, 12:32 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
Is there a quick way of checking if the collant level sensor has failed? We dont want to order a new sensor, wait for it to come in, replace it and find it wasnt at fault.
Does your coolant warning light come on occasionally? if not this may not be the cause...
Old 25 April 2005, 04:30 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Cupramax
Does your coolant warning light come on occasionally? if not this may not be the cause...
Nope, coolant warning light does not come on. Surely if the coolant sensor is at fault it would be registered by the ECU via another fault code?

Just spoken to my mate and we are now looking at the wiring loom that is routed close to the turbo. Apparently this part of the loom weakens on cars 5-6 years old due to the high temps.

The car has been off the road now for nighe-on 9 months with all the major repair work done. The small gremlins we are now experiencing are really starting to frazzle the tempers of all involved. And we thought Audi's were reliable bullet-proof cars
Old 25 April 2005, 06:15 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

my moneys on the MAF sensor or one of the coil packs has given in, more likely the latter.

Mark
Old 26 April 2005, 09:04 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Well, except for checking the coil packs and MAF sensor we have checked all the above and still it runs on safe-mode. Anyone got any more ideas???
Old 26 April 2005, 01:46 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

to check coil packs, remove them, a broken one will be all burnt out. The early versions of these let go very regularly, if you do need to replace make sure you get the 'L' versions (product code ends in 'L')

Much harder to check the MAF without replacing it or lending one off a mate, but if it does come to this take your old one to Audi dealer who have a replacement policy on them, about £70 and your old one for a nice new one.

Mark
Old 26 April 2005, 10:28 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

take it to audi? I found them helpful when my audi had problems.
Old 27 April 2005, 09:06 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
take it to audi? I found them helpful when my audi had problems.
It's now booked in at AMD.
Old 27 April 2005, 06:12 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

does anyone have any good audi forums? Just bought a new A4 and would like some general advice, tips etc.

Cheers
Old 27 April 2005, 09:00 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ru$$Rip
does anyone have any good audi forums? Just bought a new A4 and would like some general advice, tips etc.

Cheers
Try here http://www.audi-sport.net/