Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Do you need to be a brave 'un to buy an RX7?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 12:34 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to be a brave 'un to buy an RX7?

Just been wondering......

I've always fancied owning one of these, but not sure if I have the bottle to live with the "fragile" wankel engine and the high likelyhood of a rebuild or replacement engine being on the cards.

Almost EVERY RX7 advert says "new engine at 30k miles" or "full rebuild at 40k miles"

Not to mention the fact that the replacement engine bill usually runs into several thousands!

Still cracking looking cars though!
Old 20 April 2005, 07:41 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Early RX7's.....well.....early rotary engines suffered from rotor tip wear, but this problem was ironed out long ago and most engines are reliable if properly looked after.

I had a 1984 RX7 and it had done something like 75K miles with no problems, other than carburettor diaphragms.

If you can stomach constant oil top ups....due to the "total loss" system (oil lubricates the rotor tips) and heavy fuel consumption, they are good motors.

They sure do look purdy!!
Old 20 April 2005, 08:30 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Funny this as i was only discussing this yesterday.
A good buddy of mine had an RX7 and i swear he used to have the engine out every other month and all in all i think he had it out over 6 times in the time he had it and he jokes to me now that he could remove the engine inside 45 minutes he was that used to doing it.

He told me yesterday that a guy on my street had a new shape model and guess what??? he had the bonnet up and was whinching the engine out.

He loved his car but got crap fuel consumption and all the problems with the engine he told me he would never get another!
Old 20 April 2005, 08:47 AM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

< Calling Robertio >

Robbie has one - sure he'll be able to give you his thoughts if he still frequents SN.
Old 20 April 2005, 12:15 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I had one, a '93 Type-R twin turbo, and althou they are very cool cars, sound brilliant, and go bloomin quick, they cost a lot to run.
I used mine as an everyday car, and was modded, and got approx 15MPG on average, a lot less when pushing it.

Handling is excellent, ive got an S2000 now, and its really poor at communicating what the rear ends going to do in comparison. The RX7 I felt happy pushing EXTREMLY hard through the twisties, as you always felt in control, the S just doesnt have the same level of forgiveness, so a very good RWD setup on the RX.

Servicing is a lot, approx £450 for a major, a little less for a minor, and my engine blew within the first month of ownership, costing £3200 to put right.

Overall, I miss a lot about the car, but you have to put a lot of money into them, though a rebuilt one should last upwards of 50k miles, and there are a few rebuilt ones with warrenty about, so safer bet.

The main problem is modding. The tips are put under more force with more compression being produced in the engine, as they skate around the drum, so putting a big turbo on there, Induction, ECU, etc, all contribute to a shorter life span. The main worry though is overheating, that blows the engine pretty quick, as does lack of oil, tips wearing, and water seals between the drums faling (as mine did), and dett'ing. Each of those problems results in a full rebuild, so in comparison to boingers, they are quite fragile.

Im glad I had the chance to own one, they are very special cars, and ill never forget the sound with full exhaust, induction etc spinning at around 9000RPM, its incredible!! but after a few months, and many thousands of pounds later later, I decided to get something slower, but a lot less to run.
Old 20 April 2005, 06:51 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

I believe there rather reliable, reliable in so much as you know exactly what milage the engines gonna go at.
Old 20 April 2005, 06:52 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I'm still around from time to time

It's only worth having one as a second car, great to drive, but frail. I think on it as a Caterfield with a roof.

I've had mine 2 1/2 years now and in total the car has now cost me >40k (actual purchase cost was 9k, so it's certainly not been cheap to have around). To be fair a large percentage of my costs have been brought about by trying to make the car as quick as it's fuel consumption would lead you to believe (currently over 350bhp@rear wheels, should be 100 more but having a few probs at the moment).

I've been through my fair share of engines, current record standing at 11.5k miles from one, but ever optimistic I'll get more than that from the current example.

As a road car it is really good, quick enough as standard and handles really nicely. Aim at 40k from an engine (yes 60k should be possible, but...) with an average of high teens to the gallon (expect single figures around town or when driven enthusiastically). Tyres last for ever, but servicing is frequent: 2k miles between oil changes and change plugs every second one IMHO. Can't be used for frequent short journeys without risk of flooding the engine.

Track use is where it should excel, but the brakes are not even close to being up to the job, and suspension (in my cars case) is too soft. Then there is the shift buzzer that spends all it's time making noise. Consequently you'll have to spend quite a few pennies to make a track friendly example.

Mod wise I'd say Apexi PFC, silenced midpipe and water injection then leave it alone. Will give a noticeable performance increase without pushing the car too far. Any more than this and you start breaking things. At this point the car will easily walk away from most things on the road.

As a second car there is little to beat it, but as an everyday form of transport I'd always recommend an S2000.
Old 20 April 2005, 08:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely car but 40 grand gets you a lot of 911 that will just need servicing.

I think I may just start taking these on, I mean go for it and there is a good chance it will expire !

Will the RX8 go the same way ?
Old 22 April 2005, 05:25 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

no cause they dont have twin tubbies & their ports are more tip friendly.
check out http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/index.php for anything you wana know!
Yes they can be temperamental but they are awesome cars i have no thoughts on changing mine just keep modding if i get bored (never), or sumin breaks lol
Dont think you find much of a biogger head turner & it is a good package with a 2nd car IMO as eg i'm paying less on insurance for a mondeo & a RX7 than i was on a UK scooby & it's quite nice having a "sh!tter" you can leave without worrying about door dings etc....
If you get one of cheap k ones kicking about you maybe in for BIG bills & i cant say they aint bloody expensive to run but above does sound quite extreme, you can get a nice triple rotor engine rebuild for circa 20k lol
Anyway i bloody luv mine & wouldn't swap it for anything (unless i could sell it for more & buy/mod an even better RX7 lol)
Si
Old 22 April 2005, 05:30 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

PS just to tease ya away from the doom & gloom scare stories my baby:
Old 22 April 2005, 06:58 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

<batman voice>

Its the car, chicks love the car......

Old 23 April 2005, 09:33 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

lmao although the misses did say she needed a sports bra when i was chasing scoobies round the twisties the other weekend lol
Si
Old 23 April 2005, 09:44 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

From what has been written above they sound erm, well not good.

I have read the above and thought to myself how the hell do you put up with them?
Old 23 April 2005, 10:41 AM
rs125
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

I have read the above and thought to myself how the hell do you put up with them?

Until you get behind the wheel you will never understand !!
Old 23 April 2005, 01:14 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_si
lmao although the misses did say she needed a sports bra when i was chasing scoobies round the twisties the other weekend lol
Si
This comment is meaningless without pictures!!!
Old 23 April 2005, 01:40 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Daiscooby in Muppets has one, and he seems to get on ok with it.
Old 23 April 2005, 06:08 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

It's great to read about a car with worse fuel consumption than a Scooby!

I was thinking, if it's the rotor tips that fail every 50k or so then why not replace them before the engine blows. Or did you mean that by re-building the engine?

It's one hell of a car though!
Old 23 April 2005, 09:21 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Rotor tips being on the inside of the engine it is an engine out, strip down job to get to them. There are not many parts to a rotary engine so it makes sense to replace the other consumables while you are there (so becoming a full rebuild).

You could decide to go through this every 50k miles and be £3k (or so) poorer each time. But there is no guarantee your engine will get to 50k miles, so your hand might be forced early. Alternatively your engine might have gone on to 80k, in which case you will have gone through a rebuild which was not really required. Entirely up to each individual owner and their outlook.

In standard form the fuel consumption for cruising off-boost is not much worse than a scooby, just on-boost or town driving really kills it.

As for how to put up with one: great difficulty. Wish I'd bought a 996 GT3 Mk1 and been driving around in it instead, but as time travel hasn't been invented yet I'm just making the most of my choice. My car will be available in September should anyone fancy living with a properly prepared example
Old 23 April 2005, 11:09 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_si
PS just to tease ya away from the doom & gloom scare stories my baby:
Holy excessive ventage Batman

Only joking mate very nice if not a little on the lairy side
Old 24 April 2005, 12:45 AM
dij
Scooby Regular

so they have a fragile engine,well the scooby dosent exactly have the worlds most reliable engine.
40k 50k rebuilds arent uncommon on scoobs either.

As far as fuel consumption goes,I rarely get more than 18 mpg from my scooby (or any of the ones I had before),usually less when booting it.

The RX7 is still rare,different,well built(even if the engines do go)and a joy to drive.
You have sit in one and just rev it at least to start to apreciate it.

If you can afford a second car,if you can find one in good condition pref with a rebuilt engine,then why not.

If I could trust a rwd(or me driving it),and rear seats werent an issue,then the batmobile would be number 1,IMO.

serious peice of kit scooby si .

Last edited by dij; 24 April 2005 at 12:52 AM.
Old 24 April 2005, 10:59 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

pmsl cheers, yeah the rebuild figure is normally quoted as 3k at circa 60k but as with any car depends on so many things, & can be other things which go not just tips although i like to think of that as a good thing lol. The thing IMO you have to appreciate is yes they can be slightly temperamental but in addition to the fun side of the engine in a hello v tech rev stylee but with the power of a skyline. I dont think it's fair to think of them as expensive cars to rebuild/run, using the skyliner comparison again they're far from impervious to needing a rebuild as well but erm i think for 3k you'd be lucky to get the oil changed (OK slight exaggeration but you get the gist)
Also relatively cheap to get a serious contender, again this is all relative & it's not exactly like the word cheap should ever be used in relation to any performace car, but for example later this year at TOTB if we get some of the nicely tuned FD's (3rd gen RX7's) out we should see some of the big boys who've spent many times more getting an education in rotor power
OK i'm boring myself now trying to make out it's a nice cheap run around with more perforamnce than F1 car but hoppefully you get the idea.......
Si
Old 24 April 2005, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone seen that video of an old RX7 doing a ten minute burnout before exploding ?

I shall see if I can find the link.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:22 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Robertio

I still haven't seen this motor of yours.....and your STILL having problems?!

Guy down my way has one and funnily enough i THINK i seen it yesterday. Not sure of the colour of the guy's i've heard of, but the one i seen yesterday was gorgeous. Sky blue, carbon bonnet and stunning kit on it. Very .
Old 24 April 2005, 12:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Just remembered my mate has an old RX7 sat doing nothing, might be a good project, its mingin though, looks like a before shot from Pimp My Ride, 1984 model.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:40 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Robertio

I still haven't seen this motor of yours.....and your STILL having problems?!

Guy down my way has one and funnily enough i THINK i seen it yesterday. Not sure of the colour of the guy's i've heard of, but the one i seen yesterday was gorgeous. Sky blue, carbon bonnet and stunning kit on it. Very .
I'll be at Crail next Sunday (first thing as I'll have to leave before 12 to get up to Aberdeen for the football) so may see you there? Hopefully the boost issues will be sorted by then as I'm looking for 120 terminals.
There are quite a few kicking around up here now, so don't know the blue one, there are another 2 blue FDs I know of, but one is in The Garage having just had an engine rebuild and the other is from Edinburgh the area.
Old 24 April 2005, 01:02 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I might pop up. Prolly be too busy i'd imagine though, otherwise i'd have thrown mine on too.
Old 25 April 2005, 12:35 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

that video was quite impressive if somewhat painful to watch dont think many cars would sit there for so long on the redline while going nowhere till it cooked those yanks are funny folks eh lol
Si
Old 25 April 2005, 12:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone got the link, I drew a blank.
Old 25 April 2005, 05:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

i was actually thinking of a different one where a couple of yanks sat in a 3rd gen RX7 without engaging a gear just sitting there on the red line parked up till the engine blew which took a silly amount of time considering they're so fraggild
Did a quick search & i think you actually mean this gen 1 RX7 now which i hadn't seen before:
http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/vi...e_burnout.mpeg
Si
Old 25 April 2005, 05:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Thats the one !
Cheers

Well worth a look

Quick Reply: Do you need to be a brave 'un to buy an RX7?