Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Would you buy a volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 02:54 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a volvo?

Just out of interest really. Was wandering home at lunchtime and a couple came past me. There isnt anything in the volvo range which I would even consider, and hasnt been for years. I'm sure they are great reliable cars but they just dont interest me in the slightest. Not aimed at me I guess. Saab is kind of the same sort of car but there's have a bit more about them and appeal more in my eyes.
In fact the only volvo which came close for me was the estate T5. If someone offered me a mint low miler for low money then I would probably have one as a play thing but other than that nahhhhh I dont think i'll bother.

Gary
Old 12 April 2005, 03:29 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I think the new V50 is a great looking car.
Old 12 April 2005, 03:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Nearly bought a V40 as a family car, not bad specifications out there for £6k, turbo, leather, air con, sat nav, FVSH, alloys, etc, all on a 5 year old car!!!

Then I came to my senses and got a high mileage Forester S Turbo instead!!
Old 12 April 2005, 03:41 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I would happily buy a P1800. In fact, if I had a garage I'd probably have one now.
Old 12 April 2005, 03:45 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

I have a T5-R saloon and as much as it's a lovely car, very quick and has more gadgets and features than you can imagine it's Heavy and therefore with a heavy foot as i have it's THIRSTY !!

I'm trying to sell it at the moment as the price of Subaru Wagons is stupid and i fancy myself a bargain, probably about the same price as i want for my volvo maybe a little more, but i just know that the scooby will be less painful on the wallet due to the fact that it's much lighter and therefore the fuel economy should be much better.

But dont get me wrong if i had a family i would keep it, i think it's the safest car ive driven in a long time.
Old 12 April 2005, 03:58 PM
Pigshed
Scooby Newbie

I've recently moved away from 5 years of cloth cap volvo ownership .. 850 t5 estate auto with a black lab in the back (just about everything stereotypically wrong to historically scare any bikers) . It was great though, loads of space, throw anything in the back, always drove well, reliable - radiator, set of disks and pads, battery and a cv boot in 200k. reasonably quick too, stays with most things upto 100. Was even ok on fuel for such a big bus averaging about 33. Walked past a new V70 T5 in the car park the other day, was making me wonder about changing back, made my WRX PPP look like a tinny piece of junk .. Still the scubby sounds nice.... though the dog hates it - which is probably more a testament to how much better the scubby handles than the volvo did ... Strangely I don't think there's that much difference in weight between the 850 and the 5 door WRX .. and I know which one I'd rather be in a crash in. The only downside is that there seems to be a national bash the volvo campaign - you only needed to park at a supermarket for 10 minutes and you could guarantee someone would drive down the side of it or wack it with a door - must have been difficult to see ...
Old 12 April 2005, 04:00 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I had a T4 as a company car for three years -- I got it 'cos it was the pokiest motor with aircon under £20K, and really got to like and respect its abilities and long-distance comfort.

It ain't a driver's car but it was neutral and handled pretty tidily. And with a Kalmar Union bleed valve it was VERY responsive and quick -- as standard the ECU shapes the boost too progressively
Old 12 April 2005, 05:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a T5 Estate, great car, now have a Saab, I quite like Swedish cars. BMW's are probably better, but I couldnt get (and dont like the image) a 4 year old for 4 grand, even a Rover 75 would have been dearer.