Default VW Golf GT TDi (Mk5)

Opinions of anyone who has one please?

Looking at one so as to keep the Scooby as a 'fun' car
Old 12 March 2005, 07:56 PM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came very close to buying one mate.

Liked the great engine pull and the handling wasn't bad either.

Disliked the diesel clatter, grey interior and big price.
Old 12 March 2005, 08:16 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

The mighty VW Golf GT TDi PD 140 Mrk V Sport has the mightiest name since the mighty Subaru Impreza Sti 5 Type RA V Ltd,and the car is almost as mighty,a true giant killer

lots of reasons to like one if you have to get one as a company car,and i won't bore you my listing them,they really are very good as far as diesels go,and of course they are Scooby batterers if you catch a Scoob in fifth doing less than 60

I would say they are a million years away from the MkIV in terms of handling,vastly improved,and they steering feel is superior to the Audi A3 as well

some tips,sound system lacks powermmy advice is get the upgrade if you like music,the centre armrest is a must,as are the 17" wheels

there is a supposed 160ps 'GTi' diesel coming out god knows when,but for now the 140ps really flies,
Old 12 March 2005, 08:23 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

The only options that I am planning on adding are the centre arm rest and the black pearl effect paint. Not fussed aobut the 17" alloys or the radio really.

Was looking at the A3 but to get it up to a similar spec to the Golf is not cheap at all!
Old 12 March 2005, 08:29 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

nope,i looked at the same and gave up on the A3,just way to expensive,although the interior is marginally better

it does look good on 17s btw,its nice to look good when you flash past a Scoob

Old 12 March 2005, 08:31 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Indeed it does look good, but the sheer amount of speed bumps around here it will be nice not to motice them so much I can always add them later on anyway if i feel the need.
Old 12 March 2005, 08:40 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

I have averaged 39mpg for the first 4k,and i drive like a tit,you can get more out of it apparently
Old 12 March 2005, 08:41 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Now whats the difference between the Mid and the Hi computer??
Old 12 March 2005, 08:42 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Averaging 52mpg on a run all day, love it. So much so the Evo is going for a diesel too.
Old 12 March 2005, 08:43 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Seeing as I can order it online I am getting very close to clicking that button now!
Old 12 March 2005, 08:50 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

the Gti has the Hi computer,the GT TDi has the mid,I think,i have yet to find a dealer who has a clue what they are! to all intense and purposes the GT has the full computer as described in the blurb

try asking here;

http://www.uk-mkvs.net/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22
Old 12 March 2005, 08:52 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

ps i think i get lower mpg because i use Ultimate Diesel from BP,its very good
Old 12 March 2005, 08:54 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

OK the High Line computer is exactly the same as the Mid just a larger display...I think I will stick with the mid one
Old 12 March 2005, 09:05 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

there is a supposed 160ps 'GTi' diesel coming out god knows when,but for now the 140ps really flies
VAG are soon to be releasing a 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi which currently comes in 140bhp only, so that will almost certainly find its way into the GT TDi
Old 12 March 2005, 09:27 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

hmmm,thats better than i had heard,!
Old 12 March 2005, 09:39 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

And thats the order placed now...
Old 13 March 2005, 08:54 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Can I ask what kind of a deal you got and if the place you ordred from was any good?
Old 13 March 2005, 09:17 AM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Echo the above, the MkV has years ahead of the MkIV Golf that my GT replaced. Handling is better than the MY99 scoob I had and almost as quick point-to-point if sticking give or take to the law. The most frustrating thing for me is the acceleration, which lacks anything upto 40mph when it comes alive, for reasssurance you just need to check the rear view mirror

I do about 4k a month in mine and average 47mpg, thats 50/50 fast A road and motorway trips.. I cruise at about 85mph but if traffic is bad or I'm on the handsfree I've seen over 60mpg over a journey.

I'm dubious about all these scoob battering threads of that I am doubtful but I did frustrate an S2000 driver the other day to the point he pulled over

Within a month of getting mine I fitted a tunning box (owned by my company so can't ECU flash) which claims a 20% lift in bhp/torque, again dubious but it does see off other GT's and rev's far more freely.

Here some of mine, refelx silver, optional 17's, centre armrest and multi disc CD.

http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf1.jpg
http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf2.jpg
http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf3.jpg
Old 13 March 2005, 06:19 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

same spec as mine,and they aren't dubious Scooby bashing threads,its just indicative of the newer,slower,and girlier chav Impreza owner

oh and I'm popping in a Dragon tuning box,becuase i dont own the company and my company could well do a reflash,i cant control that,but someone with brains could at least take the box out before a trip to a dealer and put it back in gain after
Old 14 March 2005, 08:15 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

i have the 3 door in graphite blue pearl (pics to follow)
it is smooth, quick and economical
i dont miss my scooby at all
sorry fanboys but it doesnt add up anymore
i will be selling as soon as the new 170 bhp diesel appears
Old 14 March 2005, 08:22 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

i think its 160bhp,but it will still crush a girly Scoob
Old 16 March 2005, 11:46 AM
MY97_Toy
Scooby Regular

I have the 1.9 TDi 3 door ( Center Arm rest very usefull also I ordered the front fogs which look good). Next came the 19" RS6 Alloys and a Superchips Chipping taking 105 bhp to 147 ish and the result is great.
Old 16 March 2005, 01:23 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dba
I have averaged 39mpg for the first 4k,and i drive like a tit,you can get more out of it apparently
You said it!
Old 16 March 2005, 01:27 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixon
Echo the above, the MkV has years ahead of the MkIV Golf that my GT replaced. Handling is better than the MY99 scoob I had and almost as quick point-to-point if sticking give or take to the law. The most frustrating thing for me is the acceleration, which lacks anything upto 40mph when it comes alive, for reasssurance you just need to check the rear view mirror

I do about 4k a month in mine and average 47mpg, thats 50/50 fast A road and motorway trips.. I cruise at about 85mph but if traffic is bad or I'm on the handsfree I've seen over 60mpg over a journey.

I'm dubious about all these scoob battering threads of that I am doubtful but I did frustrate an S2000 driver the other day to the point he pulled over

Within a month of getting mine I fitted a tunning box (owned by my company so can't ECU flash) which claims a 20% lift in bhp/torque, again dubious but it does see off other GT's and rev's far more freely.

Here some of mine, refelx silver, optional 17's, centre armrest and multi disc CD.

http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf1.jpg
http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf2.jpg
http://www.kapfab.com/temp/golf3.jpg
What happens to your warranty with the tuning box?
Old 16 March 2005, 11:36 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

its shagged,but really you would be a bit stupid if you didtn remove it when taking it to a dealer for a warranty claim!
Old 17 March 2005, 01:38 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

My fiance has one of these for a company car and I've been driving it quite a bit. We added beige leather interior, 17's, centre arm rest, storage pack and mats I think.

The looks are great but it needed to grow on me though. The interior is really nice with the leather (beige) and it is a full trimming of the dash and doors not just the seats - they have changed some of the plastic trim and the roof to a beige also and it looks really classy compared to the grey standard and is much brighter.

Interior feels really well built and solid. There are a few rattles and noises though, not helped by the quite hard ride from the combination of sports suspension and 17's. It is like a tardis in side, can't believe how much space there is. I'm 6'2" and another adult could sit with loads of leg room behind me - the most I've seen in a car, even much bigger ones. Boot is large too.

After 5000 ish miles we are averaging 42 mpg I think and it is feeling noticably quicker at this point of running in.

It actually feels very fast, the kick in the back is probably more pronounced than my classic scooby - but it feels faster than it is when you look down at the speedo. The turbo seems to hit you from 2000 rpm or just under and it takes off. Almost too much torque for fwd, I nearly always get the traction control light flickering on changing into second and also when accelerating hard off a roundabout or similar scenario.
You do very quickly need to change gear if accelerating up to speed, the redline comes in no time and this detracts from the feeling that you are really blasting along versus the scooby. On sliproads or overtaking it definately feels a league below the scooby. Around town it probably feels a bit quicker, even though in reality it probably is not.
Below 2000 rpm it has nothing and I mean nothing. Infact it is quite easy to stall if you take off at low rev's, maybe I don't drive it enough to really be used to the clutch bite point which probably doesn't help. This really suprised me as other people with diesels I've heard saying how they can even let the clutch up in 4th without applying throttle and the car will still slowly pull away up to speed.

General handling and feel of the controls is good, infact great for a runabout. If you get too 'spirited' it can feel a bit front wheel drivey at times, understeer etc but the traction control usually minimises this. It has a very good turning circle too.

I don't know whether this is a problem with lots of modern cars but I find the visibility quite poor due to the size of the corner pillars. Both at the front when at junctions/roundabouts and at the back when reversing. Because of this I think parking sensors would have been a valuable addition if we were reordering it. My fiance tends to disagree with this point so it could be a matter of me not driviing the car enough to be used to agian.

Anyway that's my thoughs...

Last edited by Boost II; 17 March 2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 17 March 2005, 07:03 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

good write up,pretty much how i feel about it

as an ex-Scooby owner I was a bit nervous about moving up to the might of the Golf Gt TDi,but so far I've managed to to calm the razor sharp handling and rib rattling power
Old 18 March 2005, 07:44 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I am happy that I have made the right choice as a daily driver for me now this will also allow me to get the Scoob ready for some more 'toys' now too
Old 18 March 2005, 09:10 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

EXCELLENT WRITE UP
i agree with the poor visability and thankfully my car came specced up with the parking sensors which have saved me from many a prang!!
lovely car
Old 20 March 2005, 10:23 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

just looking at my next company lease car.

recently tested the leon fr 150 and a 9-3 150 vector sport. got an accord 2.2i-cdti executive til tomorrow when the golf 140 gt tdi arrives for a few days

so far the honda gets the nod, incl the all important wife vote to

but am expecting the golf to match it and its a bit cheaper although i'm assuming its not as well specced at the accord.

this is just for a motorway mile muncher.......got the STi for the weekends

Quick Reply: VW Golf GT TDi (Mk5)