Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2005, 06:27 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very impressed with Evo 8...

...and I haven't even driven one yet.

I've always thought of myself as being a Scoob guy, but after having looked at the Evo 8 today, I think I may be moving

How anyone can slate the Evo as having naff plastics is beyond me - the car seems a lot better put together than my MY03 WRX. The doors shut with a satisfying clunk, the trim seems harder wearing and the full car just feels 'right'.

Even me old man said he'd have one if he had the cash - and he hasn't done over 50mph for the last 20 years

Daren't drive one until I am ready to sign - otherwise I will buckle and the wife will kill me

Is the 260 looked down upon as being the poverty spec model? What's a good price for a new (260) 8? The dealer price is £23k or so. Can anyone recommend a good dealer that will give me a decent price for my Euro 53 plate WRC Blue WRX with 6k miles. Was offered £12,750...think that's a fair price from a dealer...but not sure!!
Old 02 March 2005, 06:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

260's are now available for under £20 as dealers have droped the prices. Essentially the 260 has a lot of the same hardware, and spend £2k on it (ok - bye bye warranty) and you can get over 300 bhp from it.

And yes its considdered a lesser model

Price on yours isnt that good IMHO.

MB
Old 02 March 2005, 06:53 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

James
I bought an EVOVIII GSR (280hp) model about 3 months ago and haven't looked back. I looked at a new 260 at the time but really wanted the "full fat" version, so I ended up buying a low mile year old one. It is now a better spec than a FQ300 version and should be putting out around 320 bhp (full Magnex exhaust inc decat, HKS intercooler hard pipe kit). It really is a better package than the scoob. Try and sell your scoob privately, at that sort of price is should sell real easy and there are some real bargains about in the EVO world. A 1750 mile VIII FQ300 on a 04 plate has just sold for £21500, the guy had it for sale for ages!!!!
And yes the 260 is the poverty spec model, but easily tunable to 320-340bhp.

Ah, fancy seeing you here DBM
Old 02 March 2005, 06:54 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

What do you think is a fair price for mine? Having trouble getting definate answers about this

'cos it's an imort it's not worth sh*t, mate'
Old 02 March 2005, 07:02 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if you can get 12750 for it, i think thats good money at the mo. Cars only worth what someones prepared to pay.
Old 02 March 2005, 07:36 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

I ended up with the Evo because I thought it'd be a good idea to test drive one and 'get it out of my system'. Had the opposite effect, and ended up buying the bloody thing.
Old 02 March 2005, 07:39 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that price is about what i got from a dealer for a similar trade in !!

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2005, 07:50 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Just noticed it was an import

Only one place my money would be going on a new car

If I had £30k

MB
Old 02 March 2005, 09:34 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I was dissapointed by the EVO 8 GSR, felt slower than my EOV 5 and slightly less 'special'. The interior was naff, but who cares, the STi is nothing to rave about.

Bought a new STi, but sometimes I wish I had waited for the FQ340.

Having said all that, had more fun tonight in my £2k GT4 than either going around corners sideways
Old 03 March 2005, 07:43 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Test drove a evo 260 the other day. Two things put me off, apart from the power but for £1750.00 you can up that to 330bhp. The 5 speed gear box, after driving Sti's and an MR340 going back to 5 speed could take a bit of getting used to, and call me daft but the way the number plate rolls round the bumper. I have alway liked the look of the "bike number plate" on the front.
You can get a pre reg one for £19,995 or a ex demo for £19.000 spend £2k and you've got a 330bhp evo.
Old 03 March 2005, 08:41 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt

I've always thought of myself as being a Scoob guy, but after having looked at the Evo 8 today, I think I may be moving

How anyone can slate the Evo as having naff plastics is beyond me - the car seems a lot better put together than my MY03 WRX. The doors shut with a satisfying clunk, the trim seems harder wearing and the full car just feels 'right'.

Even me old man said he'd have one if he had the cash - and he hasn't done over 50mph for the last 20 years

Daren't drive one until I am ready to sign - otherwise I will buckle and the wife will kill me

Is the 260 looked down upon as being the poverty spec model? What's a good price for a new (260) 8? The dealer price is £23k or so. Can anyone recommend a good dealer that will give me a decent price for my Euro 53 plate WRC Blue WRX with 6k miles. Was offered £12,750...think that's a fair price from a dealer...but not sure!!
Just remember after market tuning will blow your warranty. The 260 has a diddy spoiler, the proper one is nearlt 2k IIRC.

Don't know what a 260 drives like but I imagine it is similar to an Sti. The running gear is actually Evo7 so comes with a 5 speed box as opposed to the standard 6 speed on the more powerful models.

As far as trim quality is concerned, IMO the dash is a lot nicer than a Scoob, better put together and all that, however the standard cloth seats are not as nice as the Subaru in terms of quality. The leather ones though are very nice .

If you are easily swayed, don't take out an FQ, cos you won't want a 260
Old 03 March 2005, 04:05 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

My Scoob is going at the weekend, really sad to see it go but having bought a Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 and found that even though it is 2 years older than my Scoob it feels much better put together with the satisfying clunk when you close the doors I have decided that when this car is going it will be an Evo next, probably an 8 but will have to check out the prices of the 9 when I'm ready.
Two things putting me off the Scoob are the amount you see around now and engine probs.
Mine being the only VR-4 in North Wales really pleases me!!

Dave
Old 03 March 2005, 05:45 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Don't let the snob appeal and attraction of a six speed box stop you buying a 260, the 5 speed is a much nicer change, less obstructive, and, as others have said, you can mod it relatively cheaply. Speak to the dealer about mods, some are quite tolerant.
Old 09 March 2005, 08:02 AM
Eddy T
Scooby Newbie

Had 2 Scoobs in the past. Test drove a 260 and 300 'just to get it out of my system' and bought the 260. Didn't plan to, couldn't resist it. Especially at £20K for a brand new one. Don't regret it at all. 260 is easy to live with if you only have the one car. FQ300 is lovely if you have something else for the Tesco run and commuting.
Old 09 March 2005, 04:54 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

There is a red 260 with 4,000 miles on the clock being sold for £16,000 over at the MLR at the moment.
Yes, I really did say £16k
Old 11 March 2005, 12:44 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

same as all things material, so glad others have the same outlook as I, so away with all this its worth ? becouse of? this? and that! ...no its not ...

Originally Posted by Neilo
if you can get 12750 for it, i think thats good money at the mo. Cars only worth what someones prepared to pay.
Old 11 March 2005, 02:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Danny B
There is a red 260 with 4,000 miles on the clock being sold for £16,000 over at the MLR at the moment.
Yes, I really did say £16k
Something that looses value quicker than a scoob

Now, before you go the evo route, look at the MY03 JDM cars onwards, i think you may be pleasently surprised

Tony
Old 11 March 2005, 07:04 PM
PhilGEvo
Scooby Newbie

cant say much about the impreza as ive never owned one, on my second evo now and love it to bits. there seems to be alot of u chaps comming to the dark side, more than ever now with the 260 model, like people have said a little spent and u have got reliable 300 bhp +. i would probably go for the older gsr of fq mind, thats just my opinion.

PhilG
Old 11 March 2005, 07:15 PM
Jason Knowles
Scooby Regular

Next year im going to seriously look at an EVO,got04STI at the moment,if subaru bring out a 2.5 STI i will probably get that if they dont i think im going to get the EVO 9 340 or what ever their new top version is. JASON
Old 13 March 2005, 11:58 AM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PhilGEvo
cant say much about the impreza as ive never owned one, on my second evo now and love it to bits. there seems to be alot of u chaps comming to the dark side, more than ever now with the 260 model, like people have said a little spent and u have got reliable 300 bhp +. i would probably go for the older gsr of fq mind, thats just my opinion.

PhilG

i have just sold my scoob and am moving to the DARKSIDE currently looking for a 6 gsr dont think i can stretch to a mak. the appeal for me is that at the moment just about everywhere you go you see scoobs and want something different.

had a drive in evo 8 yesterday my first drive in any evo and really thought it was easy to drive although the ride is firm it is bearableand it felt smoother on acceleration than the scoob
Old 13 March 2005, 06:14 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

I've driven an Evo 260 and a non-PPP '04 STI (hence without DCCD-A) back to back.

Yes, the five-speeder in the Evo is a nicer change than the STI, but you do miss not having 6 ratios.

The STI without PPP is a lot more peaky in nature than the 260 Evo. The Evo's acceleration is much more linear, while the standard STI give bugger all below 3.5k then all hell breaks loose. Not a rewarding experience.... As most people on here state, the PPP makes the STI into the car it should have been out of the factory (emissions notwithstanding...).

Also drove the MR-340 Evo on the same day (as well as an '04 PPP STI - yes, I was busy that day ). There is no comparison between the 260 and 340 Lancers.

The 260 feels much weaker out of the box (as you'd expect), the 5 speeder isn't much nicer to use than the 6 speed in the 340 and the 340 feels much more 'honed'. The handling on the 260, while quite 'benign' is much less sharp than the AYC-assisted 340 and, for some reason (I'm not an Evo anorak), the ride in the 340 seems at least as good, if not better.

The 340's ride is also significantly softer than the VIII FQ-300 (yup, driven a couple of those as well). This is good because, with the FQ- 300, the problem can be that, at 'moderate' speeds on choppy road surfaces the ride is so damned hard that it actually causes your right foot to vibrate on the throttle. And, 'cos the response is so instant compared to an Impreza, this makes the car surge..... Daft, but true....

As for the '04 PPP STI, well loads of fun, much more character than the Evo - largely due to the flat four burble. Oh, and the fact that it's a helluva lot more of a handful to drive fast than an Evo.

For Terminator II fans, the Evo, especially the MR-340, is Robert Patrick to the Impreza's Arnie....
Old 14 March 2005, 08:19 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
For Terminator II fans, the Evo, especially the MR-340, is Robert Patrick to the Impreza's Arnie....
ooh, love that quote, know exactly what you mean
Old 14 March 2005, 08:52 PM
wheelie_sti
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Jamesemt

Have a look here matey, pm me if you need any more info on the move ..

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=394206

wheelie_sti
Old 14 March 2005, 08:59 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

on n on and ariston.
Old 14 March 2005, 09:00 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

with the FQ- 300, the problem can be that, at 'moderate' speeds on choppy road surfaces the ride is so damned hard that it actually causes your right foot to vibrate on the throttle. And, 'cos the response is so instant compared to an Impreza, this makes the car surge
couldnt agree more HB, but apart from missing that burble I'm glad I made the choice I did, but on another note, baseing the very basic Evo on a STI isnt really fair IMHO

heres my EVO VII Dyno Result

------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net

Old 14 March 2005, 09:14 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
ooh, love that quote, know exactly what you mean
I write 'em for a living mate....
Old 14 March 2005, 09:17 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
heres my EVO VII Dyno Result
Phil - does that line ever stop rising....??
Old 14 March 2005, 10:06 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

wish he'd have taken it to 7k to see what happened , then again, there could've been a loud & expensive BANG

---------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net

Phil

Last edited by MadGrip; 14 March 2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 14 March 2005, 10:12 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
wish he'd have taken it to 7k to see what happened , then again, there could've been a loud & expensive BANG

---------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net

Phil
Easy 400 bhp on a half decent day Phil.... That's pretty serious you know....
Old 14 March 2005, 10:19 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

need to get it verified, going to conrads place when he gets his RR installed just to check because although it feels quick I think that figure is a little bit high.. enjoy looking at it though

feel free to ask for a go on Thursday, would be entertaining to be a passenger for once

edited to add : I saw you snooping around my site...GET POSTING

Phil
-------------------------
www.UK-Performance.Net

Last edited by MadGrip; 14 March 2005 at 10:33 PM.