Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

right,so how many Scoobs have been battered by......

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 12:14 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default right,so how many Scoobs have been battered by......

diesels?

if you add up the number of times someone has said "I got mullered in fifth by a Corsa 1.5 DTi when i wasn't concentrating" you would think Scoobys were slow or something,or are the newer chav owners of Imprezas a bit pouffy on the road?

me old mate Docjock has never been twatted by a diesel,so whats going wrong?

by the way my VW Golf Gt TDi will batter any Scoob made pre 1994 in fifth uphill at 50mph,concentrating or not

I politley suggest that this silly diesel infatuation is banned forever from this bbs,its getting silly,even though I have a diesel myself and used to own a Scoob,its all about saving on fuel bills,which is girly.

drive faster ffs or the chavs will totally take over

Last edited by dba; 07 February 2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07 February 2005, 12:29 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

LOL... Well said.

BTW, I for one aren't bothered about being overtaken.
Old 07 February 2005, 06:21 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I'm sometimes "mullered" by TDis on the motorway - when I'm proceding at a speed that won't get me nicked, they come flying past. Sometimes spot them on the hard shoulder later, meeting up with their mates with the blue flashing neons. Very few people are driving flat out on any roads, so it's all a case of who can be bothered.

Having said that, I've never seen a diesel as anything other than a mobile road block when I'm "pressing on".
Old 07 February 2005, 06:26 PM
scoobyjohn2000
Scooby Regular

a mate has got a 306 hdi and i must say at a steady pace there wasnt a lot in it at top end i pulled away at about ??? but close???
Old 07 February 2005, 06:34 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dba
diesels?

if you add up the number of times someone has said "I got mullered in fifth by a Corsa 1.5 DTi when i wasn't concentrating" you would think Scoobys were slow or something,or are the newer chav owners of Imprezas a bit pouffy on the road?

me old mate Docjock has never been twatted by a diesel,so whats going wrong?

by the way my VW Golf Gt TDi will batter any Scoob made pre 1994 in fifth uphill at 50mph,concentrating or not

I politley suggest that this silly diesel infatuation is banned forever from this bbs,its getting silly,even though I have a diesel myself and used to own a Scoob,its all about saving on fuel bills,which is girly.

drive faster ffs or the chavs will totally take over
That's one year of manufacturing then.
In other words you'll get mullered by any scooby after that ?

Nah - Diesel's don't rev, stink, sound like tractors and are for people
who wear slipper !!!
Old 07 February 2005, 06:54 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

right,so you all agree with me

so why has the 'other marques' forum become home to saddos like me that try and justify diesels because they save a bit of money on fuel? and then try and convince everyone 'they are built well' or 'are a bit nippy'

lets face it,being 'fast' in forth between 40 and 50 is just as sad as cardigans

everyone who claims to have seen the light after selling an Impreza should get a life,diesels are ****,i know,i've got one,

but anyway,i will still try and batter a Scoob everyday if only so i can revel in the inevitable thread that will appear here 'blimey,a Golf pulled away from me until we got to 120 and i pulled away over 3 miles by at least an inch'
Old 07 February 2005, 08:32 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

seriously thinking of a focus tdci but to replace my 1.6 zetec, more economy and a bit more performance

todays diesels are good but theres nothing like the sound of a scoob howling away at 7,500rpm
Old 07 February 2005, 09:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they have a point to proove, they want a petrol, love petrols but are forced into diesel ownership.

Brand new 530D BMW had a go at me the other day, comes up behind me at some lights and at the last minute goes to the outside lane, I gave it absolute death and it was dead even but had to let him in as it went to one lane lest he demolish the oncoming traffic which your average BMW driver would rather do than concede, anyway, quite pleasing that a Rover 200 can keep a 30 plus grand uber Diesel honest, suspect however that given a longer straight he would have started dissapearing into the distance. Pretty quick cars considering the market segment they are in, I think I may leave the new twin turbo 535D well alone and I suggest all but the most commited and modded Scooby drivers do the same, you will in most situations have your **** handed to you on a plate, then the BMW driver, already very smug will go into smugness induced coma and die of terminal smugness.

At least they haven put the twin turbo motor in the X5 yet, it will happen and yet more ego's will be damaged, oh yes.

Oh and you should see the **** around here in his V10 Toerag, he is heading for a very big crash, chucks it around like a 205, the laws of physics will at some point call time on these antics, probably on a wet night just before new tyres are due.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:25 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Must admit when I had my Scoob I never got battered by anything in the year I had it, however I dont now either in my Golf Tractor!!

Gt Tdi 150 plus £385 from Jabbasport =

I know theres no flat four barble, and a whole load less traction (thought prob less understeer!), but theres still fun to be had!

Chris

(who never usually secomes to posting in these type of threads!!)

Last edited by Christ; 07 February 2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:29 PM
IPKIS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp

todays diesels are good but theres nothing like the sound of a scoob howling away at 7,500rpm
Especially in 5TH just nudging the rev limiter
no diesel is taking that
Old 07 February 2005, 09:48 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

"I think I may leave the new twin turbo 535D well alone" - I would too at 270 bhp and 400+ lb/s torque

I've been really impressed with some diesels - there are some cracking cars out there. 330D is another stunning example.

"Nah - Diesel's don't rev, stink, sound like tractors and are for people
who wear slipper !" - punkie my friend - that statement shows you up to be tad ignorant. I've lapped Nurburgring in a very well driven 330D (thanks Matt ) which managed to overtake the M5 Ring Taxi. Underestimate them at your peril.

Still not keen on the rattle or the smell and lack of revs, but they are getting better. The good ones - the new Jag twin diesel and the Honda version are very good cars.

Chris
Old 07 February 2005, 09:50 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

pull.....................back..................... Chris....................you.....have............b ecome..........

dilusional..................get back in an Impreza!!!!
Old 07 February 2005, 09:54 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Don't worry I'm not buying a diesel (although if I'd opted back into the company car scheme - that would have been the only choice) - I'm just open to the fact that there are some very good diesel cars out there......
Old 07 February 2005, 10:00 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

yep,and me,sadly had to opt back in,but....................doesn't mean i will join the weirdos claiming Octavia diesels are faster than M3s
Old 07 February 2005, 10:01 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dba
yep,and me,sadly had to opt back in,but....................doesn't mean i will join the weirdos claiming Octavia diesels are faster than M3s
I know of one that is faster round the 'ring than many M3s...
Old 07 February 2005, 10:08 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

no it isn't
Old 07 February 2005, 11:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I spent the last year blasting up foreign motorways at very high speeds (no gatso, talivans, lasers etc) in diesels.

Ever since they've made perfect sense. We started off with hum-drum petrol equivalents (1.6/1.8's vs TD's etc). When they couldn't manage chugging up the usualy mountain-pass motorway I regulary encounter at 100mph and having to gun it 3rd and 4th gear to maintain the speed...whilst the diesels cruised up in 5th....and still managed 40mpg

The last petrol we had was a Focus Cmax 1.6 - horrible, noisy and less than 30mpg (bout 29 iirc, and contantly thraping the thing to death 4000+rpm at fast motorway speeds...whilst the diesels never ever needed to go above 3000rpm...even when accelarting.

A collegue was buying a Golf and asked me which one to get...I said the TD130 or 115, the petrol ones aren't up to that much really. He said "diesel?? pah! noisy and slow" I told him to try one first. He didn't, and bought a 1.8 petrol. He now complains that it's noisy and slow, I said told you so. If he had the diesel, at least he could get 40mpg

Now for the "hot" diesels...why oh why do people compare them to Imprezas and the like? Yep they are quick and very tractable especially on exiting bends . Personally, I prefer a high power derv coupled to a good swift autobox which can make very good progress indeed. But nearly all are marketed as comfy saloons or family cars (Golf gti being nothing more than a trim spec).

Perhaps some poeple need to realise that certain performance petrol cars aren't quite as fast in the real world as percieved. Scoobs are a prime example, the quick 0-60 doesn't mean much, nor does its questionable handling (I would so love to shoot the mis-guided person who first penned the "good in the twisties" myth). If a well driven diesel threatens your ego it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest.

The day when a true high performance diesel hits the streets, things will be interesting... M3 diesel anyone?

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 February 2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:20 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would I stay in 5th going up hill at 50??? I can do 80 in 3rd!!! I would like to see a diesel keep up then!!
Old 07 February 2005, 11:32 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

exactly!!!
Old 08 February 2005, 12:09 AM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

Looking at the thread title I had a feeling it was going to be about diesels .

Well theres not much point comparing the lot, they are pretty different.

I drive a Civic Type R, but am changing to a Golf TDI or something similar soon - reason being I prefer lazy power, good economy and cheap insurance. It won't come close in excitement terms but I'll be happy with all the money I save. I just see it as a decent alternative.
Old 08 February 2005, 12:34 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Diesels a ****, slow, heavy, and designed for people who actually value money.
just what everyone wanted to hear.
On a serious note, i agree with the original post, but am really impressed with new age diesels. I am really fed up of my CRX, no torque and hard work to drive, but rewarding. A nice lazy torque monster would be handy in the right hands as mentioned above, even my dads auto espace if decent on the motorway! 2.2dci auto thing.
Kam
Old 08 February 2005, 08:43 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

you see,Dai-Tec is indicative of the new type of girly (no offence) infecting this forum,Type R to Golf TD and he values mpg!! ban him now mods before he mentions the torque word!!

I blame all this on the wally who tuned an Octavia diesel and started going to the Ring,its all wrong,wrong!!!
Old 08 February 2005, 09:05 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

dba,

I though I would just throw my 2 p's worth in. I've had 2 scoobies, one a 293bhp and 274lbft and the other a standard uk turbo. I loved both of them for the speed, thrill and noise, It's intoxicating. But and its a big but, its horses for courses. I was sick and tired of little scoats stealing bits of the car, including but not limited to spoilers, badges, lights, wing mirrors etc. I was sick and tired of hearing stories of car jackings, house break-ins, armed robberies, accounts of trackers not working etc.

In the real world the scooby is a competent car, but (again its a big fat J-LO butt) its not that good when weighed up in the scheme of things. You pay for the privalige, and with the current government it is becoming a privalige, not a right, of having a nice cheap performance car. You have the insurance costs, the sevicing cost, the worry, the stress and no where to use it unless you go on a track due to the draconian policing of the roads.

For the same money, I can get a comfortable, cheap to insure, quick (not fast) diesel that will not depreciate like a ****. With the saving i'm making on not running the impreza, I can afford to buy a track car, I can use it like its supposed to be used, I dont have to worry about getting an NIP in the post for doing 110 on the M4 and I dont worry that my girlfriend is going to be dragged out of the car at a set of traffic lights for a set of wheels and an engine.

You say stuff buying a diesel, I say stuff the hassel of running the impreza!

Steve
Old 08 February 2005, 09:09 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveV-WRX
You say stuff buying a diesel, I say stuff the hassel of running the impreza!

Steve
Ta-ra, then!
Old 08 February 2005, 09:19 AM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dba
you see,Dai-Tec is indicative of the new type of girly (no offence) infecting this forum,Type R to Golf TD and he values mpg!! ban him now mods before he mentions the torque word!!

I blame all this on the wally who tuned an Octavia diesel and started going to the Ring,its all wrong,wrong!!!
TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE!!1

DIESEL DIESEL DIESEL!!1

Old 08 February 2005, 09:20 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

I'll get my coat then!

Old 08 February 2005, 09:30 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I agree entirely Steve,same reasons I had to give p on one.But with all the truly great Impreza drivers like you and me moving to diesels,the new faggoty chavs that have moved in are losing to the diesels in road races,this has to stop! I can't endure reading anymore 'sold my Impreza and my new car uses less fuel blah blah' posts.This bbs has gone to the dogs!!

still read it though
Old 08 February 2005, 09:59 AM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

the clue is in the username although the "fun" factor seems to be lacking a bit lately.

550hp and greasy roads don't help , roll on the summer months

Hawk
Old 08 February 2005, 10:00 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

so you drive a Ruf diesel? or have you replied to the wrong thread?
Old 08 February 2005, 11:12 AM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

doooooooooohhhh didn't realise it was diesels only

anyways you know us german interlopers we get everywhere

hawk out

Quick Reply: right,so how many Scoobs have been battered by......