Golf GTi vs Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 02:54 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Golf GTi vs Impreza WRX

hey,
i would like to buy a cute sporty car but i'm stuck and cannot make up my mind...

i love the looks of the new Golf GTi, its very comfy, lots of electronic stuff, very safe, nice engine and superb price... but i have doubts about the traction (its only FWD)...
on the other hand, Scooby WRX is a bit "empty" but it is faster and it is 4WD, we get loads of snow every year in my country so this could come handy...

i heard "terrible rumours" about the fuel consumption of scoobies, are they true? i read some reviews on both cars and according to all magazines Golf GTi is claimed to reach combined 30mpg which is great (highest was 12mpg, lowest was 35mpg)... how is it compared to scooby WRX (MY05+)? i want a car the will not ruin me i do mostly "city-drives" with occasional highways... my average mileage is cca 10.000 miles per year...
Old 02 February 2005, 03:08 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I get about 23mpg on my daily work commute which is a proper combined type of journey i.e. bit of city driving, bit of country back road blasts and some motorway
Old 02 February 2005, 03:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Both 2-litre turbos aren't they?

That's a very low annual mileage compared to most on here, I'm sure they'll all say "go for it".

Never saw more than about 28 out of my old scoob.
Old 02 February 2005, 03:37 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Personally i would go for the GTI , i had a look at one at the weekend and love the cockpit , makes my 04 STI look very drab , its more of a everyday car as well and wont attract as much attention as the WRX , easier on the pocket which is a big factor in the long term , have a test drive in both and see which gives you the biggest grin
Old 02 February 2005, 03:44 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

If you want a cute sporty car.....get a golf.... a wrx is not cute

BTW are you coming from an Alfa 147?? That would be the same as me.... Its such a comedown in style from an alfa to a scooby....but then again i bought my scooby cos of the first moment i floored it....big grin!!

Why not consider a 147 GTA....best of both world (if it had AWD)
Old 02 February 2005, 03:50 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

yup, got Alfa 147 right now, but its a bit lazy i need something faster.. but i must say that i like the looks of impreza, its not as nice as Alfa but it looks really muscular IMHO... i will probably ask the dealer for a test-drive and will see...

but average 23mpg fow WRX is not so bad i feared that it will be somewhere around 15mpg
Old 02 February 2005, 03:51 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gso
BTW are you coming from an Alfa 147?? That would be the same as me.... Its such a comedown in style from an alfa to a scooby....
A massive leap up in realiability and build quality though Plus you don't look like a girl in a scooby
Old 02 February 2005, 03:52 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 147_TS

but average 23mpg fow WRX is not so bad i feared that it will be somewhere around 15mpg
I can get it a lot worse if i stop trying to be sensible
Old 02 February 2005, 03:54 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Buy an A3 2.0T Quattro. It is a Golf Gti underneath plus its got 4wd
Old 02 February 2005, 04:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i feared that it will be somewhere around 15mpg
That can be arranged

ISTR people have reached single figure fuel economy on track days...
Old 02 February 2005, 04:15 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

iirc I think a guy on here (Wish) has had both
Old 02 February 2005, 04:26 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Hi.

Ive got the New GTI and cant praise it enough. Its great to drive fast or slow and it handles really well too.

The great thing I like about the GTI is the build quality of the car, I know people have had issuses with golfs in the past and there build quality, but having had 7 GTIs i can honestly say ive never had a problem.

Im sure the WRX is a great car, but the GTI is more practical and liveable? if you see what i mean.
Old 02 February 2005, 04:34 PM
New_scooby_04

The new one looks very good indeed. It needs to be- a friend has one of the previous generation Golf 2.0T GTis and it's the epitome of medicore in every respect, apart from the build quality, which is superb!

No doubt the Golf will be easier to live with and cost less to run, but I doubt it will put as big a smile on your face as a WRX and it certainly won't have the same all weather ability.

BTW I can get about 25mpg out of my Scooby if I drive it gently......VERY gently!! :-) Any performance car will start drinking petrol if you put your foot down though: you play, you pay! :-)

Regards,
Old 02 February 2005, 05:20 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
Buy an A3 2.0T Quattro. It is a Golf Gti underneath plus its got 4wd
And costs loads more too.....

I'd go for the Golf Gti over the WRX anyday if you are using it for commuting to work and stuff like that. May not be as fast as the WRX but should hold its money far better, better MPG, better image, better looks and quality.

On the other hand the WRX would be better in the snow with 4WD and they do make that lovely flat-four rumble
Old 02 February 2005, 05:48 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

thx for the comments guys, i will go for a test-drive but i think i will lean towards GTi... as i see, WRX is too expensive to run and Audi A3 is expensive to buy in my configuration (£27.200) fully loaded Golf GTi costs (£21.800) in my country - thats bargain

anybody knows if there's gonna be "GTi 4motion" version as with lower spec Golfs?
Old 02 February 2005, 07:19 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Question

How did I post that twice??????

Last edited by Franx; 03 February 2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02 February 2005, 07:22 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Smile

fully loaded Golf GTi costs (£21.800) in my country - thats bargain
Where abouts are you?

I was in one of those car supermarkets today, just looking around, and had a look into a 147. Quite small inside, and the gearlever was wobbly as hell, but I thought it was a nice car. Golfs aren't that quick though, unless you get the R32
Old 02 February 2005, 07:35 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

i'm from Slovakia (crap country isn't it? , but at least cars are cheap )

fully loaded Golf GTi costs £21.800

fully loaded Impreza WRX with original STi rear spoiler, "golden" rims, STi floor mats, STi seats, STi steering wheel, aluminium gear ****, rear parking sensors, sporty front+rear bumpers + side skirts, sport muffler, extra gauges and xenon headlights costs £23.600 (not so expensive considering all that extra stuff)
Old 02 February 2005, 07:56 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
And costs loads more too.....
Golf GTi DSG costs £21,300 - A3 2.0T Sport Quattro costs £22,200 Not exactly "loads" as you put it. Well worth the £900 extra for 4wd and a different class with the quality interior.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:04 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

cupramax> yeah but that price is for "raw" version... try to add all the extra stuff you want and the price will be much higher then the price of Golf GTi...
Old 02 February 2005, 08:12 PM
IbizaFR
Scooby Regular

Look at the Seat Leon Cupra R - 225 BHP. Get quite a lot of features, 5 doors, better performance than Golf GTI as tested by STIG and save 5 grand. Then if you want to go faster, £500 quid chip to 270BHP. Wheelspin aint a big problem unless you want to be racing off from traffic lights.

Quite a lot get dynod around 230-240BHP as standard.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:25 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I have an original wrx and its upto to 320-330bhp and the chassis still behaves itself, whats wheelspin . Try putting 330bhp down through a fwd car, all depends what you are after as the end of the day.
Old 02 February 2005, 08:41 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

nah, Cupra R is nice but really old and will be replaced soon, and i cant say i like the new styling of Seats (Altea, Toledo, yuk - the new Leon will be similar weird design)...
Old 02 February 2005, 09:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

nah, Cupra R is nice but really old and will be replaced soon
Classic scoob is older by far and is still the business.
Old 02 February 2005, 10:16 PM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

yeah, but IMHO you can sell the old Scooby for much better price then old Seat... but even if not, i want a new car that will not look so old i dont see any point in buying old car unless you want to save some money or you are real fan of that car and i got £24.000 to spend so dont need to save money right now
Old 03 February 2005, 01:00 AM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Audi's differentials will never rival subaru's setup. 4WD the Audi might be, but Subaru it is not!

147_TS Get a subaru. You'll always wince when they zoom past you and your Golf otherwise. Germans? Pah!... ALL HAIL JAPAN!
Old 03 February 2005, 06:30 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

i'm from Slovakia (crap country isn't it?
Really, I've only been there once but i thought Slovakia was a great place. I'm actually tempted to move there and build/buy a house at some point, somewhere in the Kosice/Presov area...

How about a Skoda Octavia vRS (or Fabia vRS if you want something smaller)? They're supposed to be super-cheap over there (like half the price the UK pays) but you still get near-WRX performance (especially when remapped) and better build quality (same as VW/Audi). Pretty sure they do a turbo 4x4 version of the Octavia too...

Plus you wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen, as it'd blend in with all the other Skodas.

Iwan (who went from Impreza P1 to Fabia vRS recently).
Old 03 February 2005, 08:58 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Engineer@Uni
Audi's differentials will never rival subaru's setup. 4WD the Audi might be, but Subaru it is not!
Yes but Haldex doesn't suffer the permanent transmission losses a full time 4wd set up does so its swings and roundabouts...
Old 03 February 2005, 11:07 AM
147_TS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
How people can say that 22K is a good price for a hot hatch i dont know
well, IMHO it is a good price... but everyone has different priorities and opinions

Originally Posted by Iwan
Really, I've only been there once but i thought Slovakia was a great place. I'm actually tempted to move there and build/buy a house at some point, somewhere in the Kosice/Presov area...

How about a Skoda Octavia vRS (or Fabia vRS if you want something smaller)? They're supposed to be super-cheap over there (like half the price the UK pays) but you still get near-WRX performance (especially when remapped) and better build quality (same as VW/Audi). Pretty sure they do a turbo 4x4 version of the Octavia too...
Plus you wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen, as it'd blend in with all the other Skodas.
well, buying a house in here is a great investment, you can get a really big house with large garden for the half price compared to prices in UK, but im not sure whether Kosice/Presov area is the right place, its kinda wild in there
but lets return to cars - Skoda/VW/Audi is the TOP STOLEN car in Slovakia, it may sound strange but its true, if you buy a vehicle from VAG you have to really keep an eye on it... they are being stolen and sent to Serbia, Montenegro, Ukraine or Russia in large quantities... nobody really steals Japanese and Italian cars here, everybody just ignores it, doesnt matter whether you have Lexus, EVO or Impreza, owning this car is absolutely safe here, even the vandalism is scarce... the only thing you have to worry about is the badge and stereo, sometimes they steal it but thats all... and i still got worries about buying a Golf - its great car but i dont know if i want to undertake the risk of carjacking
I had a WRX-test-drive this morning, whoaaaa, that scooby is one little mad bit*h, it drives like nothing else i have ever driven, its just great and i must say im very impressed, i think i will go the "scooby-way"... after doing some maths and considering my low annual mileage, the scooby wont be so expensive tu run, and i will surely benefit from AWD - we got 80cm of snow right now

Quick Reply: Golf GTi vs Impreza WRX