Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which oil burner....Saab 9-3 or Passatt

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 06:35 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which oil burner....Saab 9-3 or Passatt

My brothers been given the option of either a Sabb 9-3 1.9 Linear TDi (120) or a Passatt 1.9 TDi SE (130)

I think he should go Saab (bit more exclusive and better looking IMO), also the new Passatt that comes out in the summer is gonna make the current one look old within 5 months.

As this place is always full of lively comments wonder what people thought and would choose if were them deciding
Old 24 January 2005, 08:38 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mega_stream
My brothers been given the option of either a Sabb 9-3 1.9 Linear TDi (120) or a Passatt 1.9 TDi SE (130)

I think he should go Saab (bit more exclusive and better looking IMO), also the new Passatt that comes out in the summer is gonna make the current one look old within 5 months.

As this place is always full of lively comments wonder what people thought and would choose if were them deciding
At the end of the day the SAAB under the skin/most of the parts are GM ( a VAUXHALL). Bear this in mind also have a look at the reliability in the new Top Gear and What Car Surveys. Passat with the 130 TDi PD goes like ****, mid range torque is far superior. Then again it's his buy.
Old 24 January 2005, 09:21 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I'm biased (I have a Passat PD130 Sport) but the new Saab is supposed to be pretty good.

I think it's also EEC IV compliant so it's lower benefit-in-kind tax than the Passat, which does not comply with EEC IV. Not much in it, however.

However .... the Passat is still a good car and has all the toys .... but as you say it's also about to be replaced. However it's still a big, roomy car.

If your brother can upgrade to the Passat Sport (lowered suspension, six-speed box and an extra 20lb-ft torque) then he should ... it handles & rides MUCH better than the SE ... much less understeer, roll & wallow. IIRC the Sport is only £800 more than the SE and the emissions are the same.

In terms of performance, the Passat is better than the Saab TDi120, much more mid-range. He should expect about 47mpg average from the Passat, and 50+ on a run.

No substitute for driving them both, though
Old 24 January 2005, 10:40 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by brickboy
I'm biased (I have a Passat PD130 Sport)
me too

shockingly good car, the longer I own it the more love it.

just back from driving it to the Alps and it made mincemeat out of the French autoroutes.

I also personally think it looks fantastic, provided it is the new model with the chrome trim, preferably in petrol grey metallic, and as previously mentioned, the sport model with alloys and lower suspension etc.

I now turn the heads of middle-aged men instead of teenage boys. (strictly in a car sense of course! )

also has some nice touches such as automatic wipers.

having previously owned a saab, I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

heavy depreciation, extremely unreliable, and some of the rudest dealers I have ever experienced. I have to say I also just don't like the image of the cars or the drivers. of course there is always a certain amount of generalisation that kind of statement, in the same way that saying all BMW drivers are w@nkers, but the saab definitely has that greasy estate agent wideboy feel, particularly the cabriolet in yellow

but yes, test drive them both.

and then buy the Passat
Old 24 January 2005, 10:47 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

provided it is the new model with the chrome trim, preferably in petrol grey metallic
nah, inky blue is the colour you want

Agree with Ed, I chose mine as a company barge, purely for tax reasons. It's really grown on me.
Old 24 January 2005, 12:14 PM
ktomass
Scooby Regular

I would go for Saab any time... Although my experience with new 9-3 2,2TID is quite ehmmm, not good... (do a search and read my post). But when it works it's superb ride and handling. Also the new 150 Vector sport is much better then the 120 version (120 Hirsh performance though will be quite good i suppose).

Passat is a dull car, kind of a grey mouse. Saab image will always be different, but at least it has one comparing to Passat...

Take a good look at prices and then decide..

Kristijan
Old 24 January 2005, 12:29 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Passat owners... anyone driven the PD130 sport 4motion? Any opinions?

Cheers,

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 24 January 2005, 01:05 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Ianc, I've driven the A4 Avant PD130 quattro which is more or less the same thing .... felt a bit slower than my Passat, the 4wd hardware seemed to sap a bit of the torque etc. Was on dry roads so didn't really feel any difference from the 4wd ...
Old 24 January 2005, 01:34 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

unless for some reason you really really really need it, don't bother with the 4motion. the ASR traction control on the passat is very capable, and the chassis on the sport likewise.
Old 24 January 2005, 02:15 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Currently drive an Octavia 4x4turbo... if I was going to FWD would buy a Superb...

Will be remapped anyhow, so don't think it should feel too slow..

Cheers for the opinions!
Old 24 January 2005, 02:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

superb is an equally good choice for those that can look past the badge.

I decided the passat would probably depreciate less, plus I got an absolute bargain.
Old 24 January 2005, 03:44 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Badge not a problem when I already own an Octy If Skoda did a PD130 with 4wd then I'd probably take it...

Next Octavia 4x4 has PD105 unit... ah well, torsen is reputedly a better (if thirstier) setup than haldex, and needed more space, so Passat it is...

(or would be Allroad, but too blinking pricey!!)
Old 24 January 2005, 06:56 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

My bro's missus has an '04 2.2TiD 9-3, having driven it to blyth from manchester to buy myself an x reg golf tdi 130, I can honestly say that the 4 y/o golf wees on the saab from a great height performance-wise, quite nice inside the saab though.
Old 25 January 2005, 07:31 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mega_stream

Saab is based on a Vectra I think, Also GM are re considering Saabs future in its cost cutting plans & may drop them so no more Saabs, unlikely I know but rumour sometimes becomes fact

Passat is tried & tested & VAG make the best Oil Burners on the market