Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Trying to shift the Astra, what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2004, 08:13 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to shift the Astra, what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to sell the astra, but after losts of posting on websites and freead sites I have got nowhere.
Here is one of the ads
http://www.autoweb.co.uk/car_detail....y=14&cdID=6034
Please note I am NOT trying to sell my car through here, just trying to find out why its generating so little interest.
What am I doing wrong? Too expensive? badly worded? wrong time of year? pic not good enough?
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can shift her? I really want to get my next car now.
Cheers in advance,
astraboy.
Old 21 December 2004, 08:17 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ad looks ok mate.

selling cars is a lottery. When i have sold privately before its been through Auto trader. Dont think I have ever tried to sell at crimbo though. I dont think you will get too much interest till the end of Jan when everyone has cash again

Good luck though matey

Gary
Old 21 December 2004, 08:18 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Its the time of year I think mate.....

However, if I get my Civic sold, then I would be very tempted to buy yours as something to use daily over the winter. Considering the money that been put into the car, I think its fairly priced.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 December 2004, 11:05 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Ebay it

Will sell for sure
Old 21 December 2004, 11:39 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Better quality pics would help. Also 1250 is a lot for an 8 valve, most folk looking for one will be after a 16v, more info on what it's had done might help persuade them. Top car though, good luck shifting it
Old 21 December 2004, 11:48 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

How much MOT? and yes, it's a bad time of the year to be selling a car.

also IMHO the average car buying punter is not gonna spend £1250 on a 17 year old Vauxhall. Therefore it's really only gonna be a greasemonkey/petrol-head type person who buys it and they are gonna want the 16v version.
Old 22 December 2004, 08:19 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Photo looks poor, and the price, I regret to say, is too high. I'd expect it to go for £1k or less, particularly with that mileage.
Old 22 December 2004, 09:35 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

The market for modified vehicles is much smaller than for standard cars so it's going to take you longer to find a person who wants your car. As previously mentioned you need to mention how much MOT the car has and if it is only a few months get a years MOT on it.

I would recommend taking the "very fast" comment out as to me that translates to "I have thrashed the t!ts off this car". I know this is the case with 99% of cars but you don't have to mention it as the first thing in your advert.

It is a 17 year old car and most people these days don't want to drive a 17 year old car. Someone who is younger isn't going to be able to afford to insure it and you have picked the worst time of year to sell a car.
Old 22 December 2004, 09:59 AM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Agree about removing the 'very fast' comment - would always put me off!
Old 22 December 2004, 10:04 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mate

Selling a car is all about writing the advert and the photos. If you can provide good photos of every angle and only provide relevant information and present that well in good english you are half way there.

If you don't have access to a good digital camera give me a bell and I'll come over next week and take photos for you

It's also not a great time to sell at the moment but a great time to buy I'm waiting until the end of January to advertise my sisters car.

Hope that helps you out

Paul
Old 22 December 2004, 10:47 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Hi Mate

Selling a car is all about writing the advert and the photos. If you can provide good photos of every angle and only provide relevant information and present that well in good english you are half way there.

If you don't have access to a good digital camera give me a bell and I'll come over next week and take photos for you

It's also not a great time to sell at the moment but a great time to buy I'm waiting until the end of January to advertise my sisters car.

Hope that helps you out

Paul
That might be a worthwhile endeavour mate, esp. as I have good reason to come over to yours and look at things
I'll give you a shout next week and we'll sort stuff out.
As for the ad, I will probably ebay it once I have decent pictures of her and when I Ebay her I'll be able to put a more verbose description in, listing all the modifications and stuff.
With regard to the performance info, would "Very Fast" look better as
"0-60 7.1 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.6 seconds VMAX - genuine 130mph with documents to prove" or should I just leave performance information out the advert?
Ideally I'd like 1250 for her, but I would accept 1000 with little hesistation.
I know I'm losing lots of money but tbh I just want her gone now whilst she is still in good condition. I've got her perfect and I want her to go while she's perfect.
Cheers,
astraboy.
Old 22 December 2004, 11:20 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd just leave all performance stats out because it'll show that it's been thrashed/raced

Just give me a shout when you are about and I'll take the photos for you and we can have a chat
Old 22 December 2004, 01:23 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

If you want to gain access to as many potential don't put any performance stats down, whatever you do. It just read as 'thrashed'.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Agree to an extent..... However, if you have a Rolling Road figure then putting that down wouldnt be a problem IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22 December 2004, 02:35 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Agree to an extent..... However, if you have a Rolling Road figure then putting that down wouldnt be a problem IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Sorted, I'll put 139bhp 169lbs/ft torque instead.
Cheers lads,