Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Views on the baby EVO anyone

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 01:06 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Views on the baby EVO anyone

The 260. Any reasonable input, from experience, test drives etc.

Seems a well rounded package to me, and for 20k makes alot more sense in a city than the 320's etc.

Anyone driven one or even crossed over to the dark side
Old 15 December 2004, 01:53 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I crossed over but to a 330
Old 15 December 2004, 02:23 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Will look w@nk with white wheels
Old 15 December 2004, 03:12 PM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
The 260. Any reasonable input, from experience, test drives etc.

Seems a well rounded package to me, and for 20k makes alot more sense in a city than the 320's etc.

Anyone driven one or even crossed over to the dark side

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....0&postcount=18

Well Ive owned her for 3 days now, and just cant say how happy I am with my choice. Im limiting myself to 3500 RPM and no more than 1/2 throttle, and she's pulling very strong already !

Now ive had chance to drive her some more, its become even clearer on the handling difference. Its massive - much as I loved my old car, this thing would have eaten it whole, around a track. One thing I will say is that if you are after a comfortable easy going ride, then this is certainly not the car for you. I love the ride, the car feels 'connected' to the road, I just cant imagine what you would have to do to unstick one on a dry road. Sometimes when booting my old car it would almost feel out of control on some of the bends.

They are understated on power too, most are making 280 BHP or more standard. There are 2 on MLR that have been rolling roaded, one made 201 BHP at the wheels, the other made 203.

Hope this helps Andy

Last edited by NewAgeWRX; 15 December 2004 at 03:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 15 December 2004, 04:08 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Default re 260

Ive got one, 3,500 miles on her. Decat, Eibachs, Apex i induction kit.....its really loosend up now. Very quick / very smooth, deceptive (comming from an evo 6, its so quiet, and doesnt have the same sudden kick, but Its probably going as quick), handling is stupendous, Have tried to push it to the limit but cant quite seem to, just stuck to the road. Going on rolling road this weekend, let you know on monday what I got...............would think / hope for something between 280 to 300 bhp.
Next up downpipe, new Autronics ECU, Fuel pump..........apartently with the bits I have allready, I will see somewhere round 340 which will do me just fine.

Had 2 subarus, 99 wrx and a 01 bugeye, really liked the classic, back then it was so quick, the bug eye was desperate, really heavy, slow, got rid of it as soon as I could. Some of the fast scoobs are cool, but I just prefare the evo these days.

Chow.
Old 15 December 2004, 04:16 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Will look w@nk with white wheels
Now that's what I call reasonable input
dave
Old 15 December 2004, 04:50 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys, even you Tav

Wouldn't you always be wishing for the next one up though?
Old 15 December 2004, 04:55 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Default re

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
Thanks for the input guys, even you Tav

Wouldn't you always be wishing for the next one up though?
Well the great thing about Evos is that the Engines are so strong that you can buy any one and just do a few mods and you can have as much BHP as you want. Once your up over 320 / 340 bhp mark, sure nothing would realistically pull any sort of gap on you at all. You might as well have any version of the 8.........remove the restictions and off you go.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once your up over 320 / 340 bhp mark, sure nothing would realistically pull any sort of gap on you at all.
Not my experience at all - a £1200 2.5 block and supporting mods in a Classic Scooby can easily give you a 50% higher power to weight ratio than an MR320, and the difference is dramatic. Additionally, the MLR lot all get twitchy about taking their standard engines over 400 BHP just like Scooby owners do. There also aren't any cheap drop in big capacity engines like the 2.5 on the Subaru, which personally is a consideration. Otherwise I'd have an Evo in a shot.

Handling looks fun though

None of this is dissing Evos BTW before anyone gets sensitive.

Last edited by john banks; 15 December 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:18 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Default re

Everyone knows that Evos are better than Scoobs, quicker, handle better, stonger engines and much less common....theres no point in fighting it..

Right now wheres that double strenght bullet proof flame suit... ...gonna get a serious beating now...
Old 15 December 2004, 05:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think you are right for standard cars except for the Spec C or Type 25. But when you seriouly modify either car you end up changing a lot of stuff anyway. There is just a lot more of it that needs to be changed on an older Subaru particularly. But the parts to do so are cheap and available, which is another practicality about running a heavily modified car. But not everyone likes to heavily modify of course.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:28 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

spec c and type 25 are lovely cars, quick too.......not mad on the spec c spoiler though.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

More scoobys because their more accessible (warranty) + plus they sound better and are still in the wrc.. IMO classic scooby nicer looking than age comparable evos.New age scoob/ present evos not alot o difference. The 260 will be the real test.

Last edited by dpb; 15 December 2004 at 05:36 PM. Reason: classic sti owner, as was ..:(
Old 15 December 2004, 05:33 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
More scoobys because their more accessible (warranty) + plus they sound better and are still in the wrc.. IMO classic scooby nicer looking than age comparable evos.New age/ present evos not alot o difference. The 260 will be the real test.
Yep, look wise the only diff between the 260 and a fq 300 is the spoiler, I have the Fq300 spoiler on mine and I think with the current mods.....and if I need one or two more small ones.......it would be just as quick too. Well we'll see anyhow.......will post my bhp on monday...just in case anyones interested, I'll stick it on this thread.

Cheers.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

260 looks like a bargain and I suppose you could fit the MR suspension, wheels, tyres, but you'll still weigh about 70 kg (?) more. So I'd pick the MR 300 as a base for modifications.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:42 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Why does it way more ?? not disagreeing with you, but curious as to what it has that weighs more. I think the fuel tank may be bigger ???? anything else ?
Old 15 December 2004, 05:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Lighter panels with more use of aluminium, especially in the upper body structure/roof. About 5% saving including the lighter alloys I believe.

So lower CoG and unsprung weight.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:49 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

okay well I have the wheels covered, have a lovely set of speedlines on it..great job, dam expensive, and I would dare say quite light.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:54 PM
Rob99
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've just test driven an EVO 260 and then back to back with a standard wrx.
(different cars i know but it was based on buying a car at 20k and what you could get for your wedge). I am coming from a P1 so that made it difficult anyway to find something near the performance.
EVO
Harsh ride (but ok)
interior - ahem 'basic' apart from the Recaro's
Exterior - sublime and you don't see them very often
power - all low down then runs out of steam (needs exhaust/induction kit)
servicing - 4,500 miles
fuel - loads and loads and loads...
insurance - group 20

WRX
more compliant ride
interior - better than the EVO i thought,
Exterior - doesn't do it like the classic shape did and HOW many are there!!!
Power - smoother and it happens a bit later in the rev range
Servicing - 7,500 miles??
Fuel - just loads
Insurance - group 19

The EVO is just so different for handling, it feels alive whereas the Scooby just feels soft and a bit limp in all honesty. An induction kit and an exhaust on an EVO will give you 300bhp (and the ok from Mitsubishi) . A chip would take it to 320-330 quite easily.(without said blessing) With the WRX your stuck to 265 with the PPP and i don't know if it would go again for more power without proper mods and obvious warranty issues.

Anyway i've been a confirmed Scooby fan for almost 8 years (a Catalunya first and now a P1) but my time has come to cross to the dark side. My EVO 260 arrives on Dec 30th... Can't wait.
Old 15 December 2004, 05:57 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

More scoobys because their more accessible (warranty)
more accessible means?? (warranty)????

is there a shortage of evos? or ones with warranty? there is no difference, thats not the reason. The reason is more chavs can now afford the older classics so if you like the looks, fair play, but if u wear a burberry cap and tracky bottoms, your gonna be mistaken for a chav lol
Old 15 December 2004, 06:08 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Evo 260 had a price drop recently plus three years free servicing
Old 15 December 2004, 08:03 PM
In the ring of fire
Scooby Regular

Just got mines a couple of weeks ago & its booked for its first service on saturday (its free to for the next 3 years )

Feels quite tight at the moment & i havent really opened her up, in fact i have only went to 3500rpm, going to order a few things after xmas, then i will be back with a report ....................... though got to admit i will be back in a scoob (had an MY04 Sti) in a couple of years

But for now i just need that little bit of the dark angel
Old 15 December 2004, 10:36 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

The beauty about the 260 is that its cheap, its the same engine & turbo package as the MR310, 320 & 340 without the added chips etc so tuning is very accessable, easily reached and the engines are bulletproof and so much easier to work on compared to a scooby. Even tuning parts like vernier cam pulleys are a 1/4 of the price of the scoobs.

Wasnt aware that the 260 doesnt feature the MR bilstein suspension If thats the case then the base car needs to be the bottom line MR model because the ride / handling on the bilstein suspension is so much better than EVO of old.

I think I have convinced myself now
Old 15 December 2004, 11:56 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
The beauty about the 260 is that its cheap, its the same engine & turbo package as the MR310, 320 & 340 without the added chips etc so tuning is very accessable, easily reached and the engines are bulletproof and so much easier to work on compared to a scooby. Even tuning parts like vernier cam pulleys are a 1/4 of the price of the scoobs.

Wasnt aware that the 260 doesnt feature the MR bilstein suspension If thats the case then the base car needs to be the bottom line MR model because the ride / handling on the bilstein suspension is so much better than EVO of old.

I think I have convinced myself now

It also has the 5 speed box from the Evo Vii
Old 16 December 2004, 01:33 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
Wasn't aware that the 260 doesn't feature the MR bilstein suspension
That's why it's called the Evo VIII 260 and doesn't get the MR moniker like the rest of the range
Old 16 December 2004, 03:19 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

Conrad is a defector, I would banish him from scoobynet Conrad you wont be allowed on soon lol
Old 16 December 2004, 08:57 AM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Jason is delerious, I know not what he talks about

Thanks for spilling the beans m8 LOL
Old 16 December 2004, 09:40 AM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob99
I've just test driven an EVO 260 and then back to back with a standard wrx.
(different cars i know but it was based on buying a car at 20k and what you could get for your wedge). I am coming from a P1 so that made it difficult anyway to find something near the performance.
EVO
Harsh ride (but ok)
interior - ahem 'basic' apart from the Recaro's
Exterior - sublime and you don't see them very often
power - all low down then runs out of steam (needs exhaust/induction kit)
servicing - 4,500 miles
fuel - loads and loads and loads...
insurance - group 20

WRX
more compliant ride
interior - better than the EVO i thought,
Exterior - doesn't do it like the classic shape did and HOW many are there!!!
Power - smoother and it happens a bit later in the rev range
Servicing - 7,500 miles??
Fuel - just loads
Insurance - group 19

The EVO is just so different for handling, it feels alive whereas the Scooby just feels soft and a bit limp in all honesty. An induction kit and an exhaust on an EVO will give you 300bhp (and the ok from Mitsubishi) . A chip would take it to 320-330 quite easily.(without said blessing) With the WRX your stuck to 265 with the PPP and i don't know if it would go again for more power without proper mods and obvious warranty issues.

Anyway i've been a confirmed Scooby fan for almost 8 years (a Catalunya first and now a P1) but my time has come to cross to the dark side. My EVO 260 arrives on Dec 30th... Can't wait.
" power - all low down then runs out of steam (needs exhaust/induction kit) "
Also the cars are sooooooo tight till they run in and loosen up.......i have mine now at @ 3,500 miles or so..........cat out, induction kit........and its a completely different car, comes in hard and early and pulls straight through to the rev limiter, I doubt I would be able to shake it off in my old 320 bhp Evo 6.
Old 16 December 2004, 09:52 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by Rob99
are you going to put the fq300 spoiler on??
anybody done this to a Evo 260?
Old 16 December 2004, 10:02 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
That's why it's called the Evo VIII 260 and doesn't get the MR moniker like the rest of the range
Sorry to be pendantic, but its just called the Evo 260

Reaon being is it's common knowledge that it's actually a facelifted Evo 7 rather than based on the current Evo 8.

Thats why it has the 5 speed box as well, because that was only introduced on the 8's

As a cheap car to start a project with, it's probably the way to go, unless your planning silly power & it's worth buying an RS straight away

Quick Reply: Views on the baby EVO anyone