Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo tail out behaviour compared with recent Subaru with DCCD

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 08:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evo tail out behaviour compared with recent Subaru with DCCD

As title, T-uk and I were wondering if the DCCD Subarus will hang out their tails at a nice angle and keep it there without driver input like the Evo seems to do? We both had a shot of Sam's Evo VII when it was near standard and whilst T-uk had fun in a roundabout, neither of us are clear what sort of balance it would have on the track compared with an RE070 shod recent Scooby with Spec C style castor angles, with the yaw sensor equipped DCCD? Will it settle into a steady slip angle if you keep your toe in like the Evo? Or will either try to spin - if so, presumably a bit of opposite lock sorts it?

Whilst he can drive well and can put the tail out and hold quite lurid slides, I am a bit more reserved because I find that the limits are quite high, and would not entertain this shenanigans on the road, as I think my reasonably torquey non-DCCD equipped Subaru would probably snap into a spin very briskly for my liking.

Last edited by john banks; 13 December 2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 14 December 2004, 12:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone?
Old 14 December 2004, 02:24 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would've thought it would all depend on the set-up of the electronics, how the various yaw / pitch sensors are calibrated and how clever the diffs are at distributing the power.

Not a great example I know, but many years ago Car magazine took a Merc 500E (the V8 saloon) and got Jonathan Palmer to take it round a track with the "driver stability" program switched on, and then off. It lapped quicker with the driver aids switched on, even though it would NOT let Palmer get the tail out etc. No fun, but quicker against the clock.

But your point that your own, hi-power, zero-driver-aid car would spin is the key .... it all depends how much "fun factor" is dialled into the software.
Old 14 December 2004, 02:39 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can drift anything
WR! feels more mechanical to me like more feel than my mates MR340