Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Impreza to high output diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2004, 01:15 PM
Pastor
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Impreza to high output diesel

I've finally got rid of my Impreza and am now the owner (note not proud owner)of a BMW 330D.
I read a lot of threads on here about how good modern diesels are, how I wouldn't miss the Impreza's speed in the real world etc etc, you know the script.

Here are my impressions- before I went and had it chipped, flat as a fart, handling seemed nose heavy compared to other 3's I've driven (perhaps all in my mind)downright scary in the wet and ice after the security of AWD.

After I had it chipped, better much better, but still nowhere near the Impreza's league speedwise, particularly in the wet or on poor roads.

Now for a terrible confession- before I traded the Subaru in I went out looking for a bit of 'action'.

Had great fun demoralising a Boxster S driver, a Clio 182 and various optimistic boy racers/tax drivers in their sheds. I also waited until late at night and tried out a few 4 wheel drifts around various wide slip roads, dual carriageways and roundabouts *ALL ON A PRIVATE ROAD I MIGHT ADD *

My conclusions were this, the Impreza was the most fun car I've ever owned and that it has very good levels of grip and traction.

I read a lot of BS on here about how Imprezas aren't all that quick, not all they are cracked up to be, how some ned in a Clio cup whupped one on a strip etc etc etc. Back out in reality if you want to go fast as often as possible, whatever the weather on unknown roads and don't mind filling up every 1/2 an hour or so the Impreza is in a league of it's own (OK it's division 1 to the EVO's premiership but you get the idea).

So farewell to my scoob, a characterfull car and hello to 3 yrs of diesel burning boredom in my rep special.

It's nice being able to hold a conversation at 120mph without shouting though and I don't think I'll be missing the searing back pain the Imprezas crappy driving position gave me.
Old 08 December 2004, 01:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

So, just to clarify this, you DONT like your 330d then?!

Whats the output now you've had the BMW chipped?? Who did you use??

Which Impreza did you have??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 08 December 2004, 01:36 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should have gone for something like an Audi A3/A4 Quattro TDi.....
Old 08 December 2004, 03:25 PM
Pastor
BANNED

It's not that I don't like the 330D, it's just that as a characterful drivers car it isn't a patch on the Impreza, in fact it's pathetic to compare them such is the difference. As a car to use day to day it boots the Impreza into touch without doubt- unless it rains of course
Now I've actually got one and done a few thousand miles in it I'm a bit peeved about all the hype (which I've never really believed anyway) over new diesel cars and particularly the 330D. Perhaps the new car with the 204 bhp engine will sort that out next year? Doubt it though.
The A3 Quattro TDI I tried out was pathetically underpowered with the 130 diesel engine, even with a remap these seem flat as a fart compared to a decent powerplant like the one in my old Impreza.
My old car was a TD05 equipped 'classic'- remap 16.5psi, zorst and induction, brake upgrade etc etc and was a bit of a beast, I miss it but I don't miss the 180 mile range, massive noise at speed (great in a tunnel though eh?) and the usual crap Impreza interior whinges.
Just thought I'd add an "EX-IMPREZA" owner story moving to a diesel and not finding it to be some kind of panacea to all life's motoring problems. In fact it's a relatively slow car that sounds like an old taxi when you start it up. Nice place to sit for a few hundred miles though and great MPG- gee whiz.

edited to add the chipping was actually a tuning box bought for £75 from a friend- not the best I know but I'm waiting to make my mind up whether it's worth doing a proper job as I might be changing back out of this car in the near future if funds allow.

Last edited by Pastor; 08 December 2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08 December 2004, 04:09 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Different cars that's for sure. However, some of the best laps of the Nurburgring I've been on were as a passenger in a 330D. Now this maybe down to MattOz's undoubted driving skills (pay me later Matt ), but there was no doubt that it was a good car (his was the Sport model) - the most impressive in the 3 series range (bar probably the M3CSL). Humbling the M5 Ring Taxi was also fun

I think when you drive any car for a long period, you get used to its performance and handling. Sometimes you forget just how capable your old car was! There is also a different driving style to be adopted, not just the fact that the BMW is RWD, but also because it is a diesel. The power band is different, that's for sure.

I think if you keep comparing it to your Scoob, then you are on a hiding to nothing. Compare the BMW to other similar saloon cars and I think You see why people like them.

I would agree though, I'm still yet to be totally convinced by diesel. Some parts of my petrolhead brain, just won't accept diesel
Old 08 December 2004, 06:07 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Thanks for the compliment. Cheque's in the post!

Pastor,

The 330d is totally different to any Impreza. My last Impreza was an STI5 Type R V-Ltd, so it's certainly a chalk and cheese thing. As a quality car that is quick, comfortable, economical and above all built well, it has few competitors. It's just never going to set your trousers on fire like the Scoob did.

My 204bhp version is considerably quicker and also quieter than the two 184 bhp versions I've had in the past. Your tuning box may need to be set up for the car on a rolling road, if it hasn't been already.

As Chris said, enjoy it for what it is and does, and you can't go wrong.

Matt
Old 08 December 2004, 11:20 PM
mike_330
Scooby Regular

even with modern diesel they can not compete with a petrol turbo engine. I have had a 330D for about 4 weeks now and find it very comfortable for eating the miles up but doesnt give me the same thrill of driving as my nissan

If you have a se you will find it poor on handling, the sport model does perform well but not like a scoob

end of the day two very different cars, why not have both
Old 09 December 2004, 09:23 AM
Pastor
BANNED

The car is an 'SE'- with the supposed options of sports suspension and seats- doesn't seem that sporty to me though as I remarked on the test drive. RWD does something for the purity of the steering though, much less corrupted than most other cars I've driven.

To be fair the BMW dealer kept pointing me towards the 330i petrol Sport model he had for a similar price but if I wanted a gas guzzler I'd have stuck with the scoob.

All in all the 3 is a pretty good car but not even a half way substitute for an Impreza and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Imprezas kick *** if all you want to do is a few miles each week, not quite so good if you want to do the length and breadth of the UK though.
Missing the burble but not the neverending search for Optimax. 40mpg at 100mph- that'll be the 330D.

Unfortunately having both isn't an option as the garaging, tax and insurance for 2 cars would be an extravagance I cannot justify.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:36 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Pastor,

It's all about the compromise, as I think you've just alluded to. That's how it was for me too. If your car sits this low, it has the sports suspension. If not, you have the altogether more wallowy SE model.

Matt
Old 09 December 2004, 10:05 AM
Pastor
BANNED

It is nowhere near as low as that- it's a 2001 pre-facelift model. Would that make any difference and of course it's a touring. Starting to think the BMW dealer may have shafted me on the spec, I'm already in discussion with them over the malfunctioning TV/Sat nav.

Your car looks like the DB's on that pic, if only I could have gone for the saloon but the post box style boot opening meant it was a non-starter for me as I have to transport a fair bit of bulky 'lifestyle' kit around on most of my weekend trips.
Old 09 December 2004, 10:26 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

for ***** sake dont drive it in the snow, bmws are pants in the snow!

scary stuff.
Old 09 December 2004, 10:26 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Pastor,

To be honest, I prefer the shape of the touring! Your car should sit that low of it's got M-tech suspension. Sport spec will also mean it should have the heavily bolstered seats and 18 inch wheels.

However, your dealer appears to have misled you slightly. They may have retro fitted the sportier suspension, but it sounds like your car wallows and doesn't handle too well. Try and take a Sport model out and see if threre is any appreciable difference.

Matt
Old 09 December 2004, 10:32 AM
Pastor
BANNED

It does have the hugging sports seats and 18's but it isn't that low. A bit of digging in BMW's records required I think, perhaps at a dealer other than the one I bought it from.

The car doesn't really wallow, it just seems to have *very* poor body control and doesn't deal with quick transitions very well (ie lock to lock through a chicane).
The 18's seem to wreck the low speed ride as well, but they do seem to grip like buggery when it's dry so it's a trade off I can live with.

I'm going to insist on a full geometry check at the supplying dealer following the comments I've read here. Sounds like something may be wrong.

Regarding the snow comments j4mou- I found the same in other 3's I've driven, the solution is some proper snow tyres. The Austrians that overtook me in the snow last year (I was in my Impreza) seemed to have no problem with their BMW's equipped with them.
Old 09 December 2004, 01:31 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

My previous car was a 330ci sport and I thought the suspension was nothing special. To me it seemed ok around corners with only a little wallow but it would dance around the road on any bump or ditch even if travelling in a straight line.

And as for wet roads... best take a bus.
Old 09 December 2004, 09:14 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
for ***** sake dont drive it in the snow, bmws are pants in the snow!

scary stuff.
That's the reason i sold mine and bought the Scoob !

Scarry in the snow,wet,damp what ever, but fun when you get used to it!

I must admit though once you have had one thay are hard to get out of
your system
Old 22 December 2004, 02:16 PM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

I have just sold my scoob and got a Golf GT TDI 115 bhp and I must say I am well happy with it obviously it is absolutely nowhere near the performance of the scoob but it drives well handles adequately and does 50 mpg

I will miss the scoob loads I am glad I bought it and I can say I owned one it was one of my dream cars.

Last edited by Matt_Turbo_2000; 22 December 2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 22 December 2004, 06:44 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Life's to short for diesels...
Old 22 December 2004, 08:23 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

.. or the overdraft is too big for Imprezas
Old 23 December 2004, 09:12 AM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

yes the constant trip to the petrol stations and the increasing overdraft got to me in the end but hey I enjoyed the scoob while I had it
Old 23 December 2004, 09:42 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Im driving a BMW 2001 184bhp Superchipped 330D at the moment with the entire sport pack on it and I can honestly say I am loving it.

So economical, lots of low down grunt, looks the part etc

But I do still love my STI8 350bhp Impreza 2 totally different cars.

Jon.
Old 23 December 2004, 09:53 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Pastor] (Edited) I've finally got rid of my Impreza and am now the owner (note not proud owner)of a BMW 330D.

Had great fun demoralising a Boxster S driver, a Clio 182 and various optimistic boy racers/tax drivers in their sheds. I also waited until late at night and tried out a few 4 wheel drifts around various wide slip roads, dual carriageways and roundabouts *ALL ON A PRIVATE ROAD I MIGHT ADD *

My conclusions were this, the Impreza was the most fun car I've ever owned and that it has very good levels of grip and traction.

I read a lot of BS on here about how Imprezas aren't all that quick, not all they are cracked up to be, how some ned in a Clio cup whupped one on a strip etc etc etc. Back out in reality if you want to go fast as often as possible, whatever the weather on unknown roads and don't mind filling up every 1/2 an hour or so the Impreza is in a league of it's own (OK it's division 1 to the EVO's premiership but you get the idea).

QUOTE]

I sympathise with you but why did you not go for a newer nearly standard Wagon ?

If I ever feel that my old Wagon is not up to scratch (not very often) I borrow my wife's Celica and go for a 'spin'. Come home, drive the Scooby and then realise what I could be missing.

I used to have a 320i (E30 model when they were new) with M-Tech sports suspension and on a BMW track day at Oulton Park I was trouncing 325i's on braking and cornering, such is the difference in the set-up, in fact no one got past me in any BMW that day except for an M635 super-barge.

By the way, you will now have to learn not to use your indicators and how to hog the outside lane on motorways

Enjoy the car for what it is, but it will never be a Scooby.

Big-G