Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

CIVIC 1.5 v-tech

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 01:02 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CIVIC 1.5 v-tech

A friend of a friend has just purchased a y reg one of these with 100k on the clock and paid 3k Now this lad while very nice is a bit slow and at 17 years old can't afford to insure it as even tescos want 3K for insurance Now he has a car stuck on a friends drive that he cannot drive and becuase he cannot insure it he can't get a tax disc so he can't let anyone on the road to test drive it to sell it. The car is bright yellow has a mugen body kit mugen dials with a colour switch *** and dimmer control. Apexi g force speed timer thingy V-tech controller CAT 1 alarm 17 inch wheels exhaust system reclining leather corbeau bucket seat etc etc. Its a maxpower childs wet dream. The car seems OK everthing well fitted and painted but I think the wheels make it tramline and handle ****e but puting proper wheels on might make it so low the body kit hits the floor.

The point of this is I want to help the guy out but I am not sure if he can sell it on as I can insure it cheap but I am not sure if it is worth anything more than the value of the wheels the seats and the electrics added together
as it handles like a lump of crap. I also don't have a clue how the v-tech controller works or what it does any opinions on wether he has been stitched up or not paying 3k for this thing much appreciated as is info on how to use a v-tech controller.
Old 07 December 2004, 05:12 AM
donkeyblue
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
A friend of a friend has just purchased a y reg one of these with 100k on the clock and paid 3k Now this lad while very nice is a bit slow and at 17 years old can't afford to insure it as even tescos want 3K for insurance Now he has a car stuck on a friends drive that he cannot drive and becuase he cannot insure it he can't get a tax disc so he can't let anyone on the road to test drive it to sell it. The car is bright yellow has a mugen body kit mugen dials with a colour switch *** and dimmer control. Apexi g force speed timer thingy V-tech controller CAT 1 alarm 17 inch wheels exhaust system reclining leather corbeau bucket seat etc etc. Its a maxpower childs wet dream. The car seems OK everthing well fitted and painted but I think the wheels make it tramline and handle ****e but puting proper wheels on might make it so low the body kit hits the floor.

The point of this is I want to help the guy out but I am not sure if he can sell it on as I can insure it cheap but I am not sure if it is worth anything more than the value of the wheels the seats and the electrics added together
as it handles like a lump of crap. I also don't have a clue how the v-tech controller works or what it does any opinions on wether he has been stitched up or not paying 3k for this thing much appreciated as is info on how to use a v-tech controller.
what reg? y reg? mistype? t reg?

if its the EG shape, guessing it is 92-95 2k price range if a good one, but they didn't make it in 1.5vtec. Is it a vti import vti? or a SIR 2? or even a uk vti sprayed yellow? the 1.6 vtec, is a rare car to get hold of and so quite easily, pm me some photos and spec and i'll try help u out, for it handling like crap? dunno cos civic's are supposed to be quite good though 17's are usually too big and run the handling.

seen a recent yellow sold for around the 3k mark, so as long as it haven't any hidden history a good condition one, standard can be worth anywhere from 1.5k-2.5k

With 100k on the clock i guess it is an EG, they did make a Jordan model for the ek shape which is a limited edition in yellow but those sell for 5k onwards usually. I was even interested in a yellow SIR 2 but they sell for big bucks! and hold there value well but at very rare!

Last edited by donkeyblue; 07 December 2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07 December 2004, 09:54 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

i wiil get [pics
Old 07 December 2004, 02:00 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donkeyblue
what reg? y reg? mistype? t reg?

if its the EG shape, guessing it is 92-95 2k price range if a good one, but they didn't make it in 1.5vtec. Is it a vti import vti? or a SIR 2? or even a uk vti sprayed yellow? the 1.6 vtec, is a rare car to get hold of and so quite easily, pm me some photos and spec and i'll try help u out, for it handling like crap? dunno cos civic's are supposed to be quite good though 17's are usually too big and run the handling.

seen a recent yellow sold for around the 3k mark, so as long as it haven't any hidden history a good condition one, standard can be worth anywhere from 1.5k-2.5k

With 100k on the clock i guess it is an EG, they did make a Jordan model for the ek shape which is a limited edition in yellow but those sell for 5k onwards usually. I was even interested in a yellow SIR 2 but they sell for big bucks! and hold there value well but at very rare!
Hi mate

They did do a 1.5 v-tec in the split tailgate bodystyle (EG?) . It was sold as the "economy version" and sold alongside the 1.5 Lsi and ran a single cam vti system. I think it was called a Vei or something similar.

As for the v-tec controllers, what they do is change the swap over point from soft cam profiles to the more agressive ones. Don't make any difference to peak power, but can be used to increase power in the mid range by changing the swap over point to occur at lower revs .

Pics would help
Old 07 December 2004, 04:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Is it a UK car or a JDM? Being a 1500 V-Tec I assume its a JDM. It wont be an SI-R as someone mentioned because this has a 1600cc B16a engine in it; the engine in question will be a D15B V-Tec and going on the age Im guessing that the frame is a GF-EK3 Vti. This is actually a very nice little car; its similar to a UK model and the V-Tec motor makes 130PS @ 7000Rpm!

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 07 December 2004 at 04:02 PM. Reason: innit?
Old 07 December 2004, 10:40 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the answers I will try to get some more info and pics tomorrow but the owner does not have a clue about anything on the car I had to explain what a strut brace is what v-tech means show him how the foglights work (aftermarket items that I am sure are illegal to use on the road.) I will get him to show me the log book and take some photos. (its a funny looking thing with top secret and brembo written all over it)
Old 08 December 2004, 08:55 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The EG UK model which I think he has is a 1.5 LSI this didnt have a VTEC engine IIRC, the 1.6 was called the VTI and had the VTEC engine.

VTEC controllers are pointless espeacily if you don't have a VTEC, remove it, even on the VTEC's and set up correctly, yields little, I thought it was worse with it.
Old 08 December 2004, 09:26 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

LOL

There was also a 1.5 VEI EG model. Sold alongside the LSI, it had a v-tec engine but for economy, not power.

Its probably a 1.5 VTEC-E (90bhp) or a 1.5i VTEC (112bhp IIRC) from the 1995 to 2001 MY.

D
Old 08 December 2004, 10:14 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I made a mistake the car is a p reg not Y and it has been resprayed from red to yellow make things any clearer ? I could not get pics a some **** split guinness on my digi cam and broke it.
Old 09 December 2004, 08:02 PM
JohnMc
Scooby Regular

Default Civic

I had one of these before the Scooby, A 1992 jdm import D15b v-tec ( and no i'm not an anorak )go to the apexi web site and down load the manual, that's what i did because the manual included is in japanese!! they are a hand piece of kit and enable you to drop the v-tec on the car and adjust other sensors, fuel etc.
Cheers
John