Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Volvo V40? Good car?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 10:31 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo V40? Good car?

Looking for a family sized car (rather than a Honda CRX or Ford Ka)

I've been considering a Forester, but I do remember what the insurance, servicing and fuel bills were like for a Subaru!!

The Volvo V40 seems like a complete bargain, with lower fuel bills and insurance, but what are they like to drive?

Any good, bad or indifferent comments about this car? (Other than it's a Volvo!!! )

Cheers
Andy
Old 29 November 2004, 10:36 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I had one as a company car for 2 years. Couldn't get excited about it, but couldn't really complain about much either.

My only criticism really is that the list price (new) is quite high with prices starting very close to £20K. I thought it was more like a £16K car. However, if you are buying second hand and the price is right, then there isn't too much wrong with a V40.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:42 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

They're quite a nice comfy car, but dreadful if you want something that handles. If you're going to use a Volvo dealer for servicing ask around to make sure your local one is OK - some are brilliant, but some are awful.

If you can stretch to a newer V50 they're much much better.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:48 AM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

I had one for a while, it racked up 125000 miles with no problems what so ever
Not a car you can get excited about but a great car for just doing its job
MAC
Old 29 November 2004, 10:56 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
They're quite a nice comfy car, but dreadful if you want something that handles. If you're going to use a Volvo dealer for servicing ask around to make sure your local one is OK - some are brilliant, but some are awful.

If you can stretch to a newer V50 they're much much better.
Mungo,

I live in Kingston and as Weybridge is just down the road, any dealers you would recommend?
Old 29 November 2004, 10:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the Skoda Octavia estates, there are the bargain of the year atm, they've got cars to shift because they are bringing the facelift models out in the early new year.
Old 29 November 2004, 11:01 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Any recommendations on which type of engine to consider?

My wife isn't keen on the Skoda, not because of the badge, but the Octavia is too wide and the Fabia is too small.
Old 29 November 2004, 11:04 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The one I tried, and am considering is the PD130 diesel, but I'm told the vRS is worth a look

Strange that she thinks the Tav is too wide compared to a V40? I wouldn't have thought there was much in it
Old 29 November 2004, 11:12 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The Volvos are suprisingly narrow especially the 200 series and the 40s.

I suppose the Passat is on par with the Octavia, so maybe worth looking at a normal hatch. That said, the Leon looks narrower than the Octavia (although I'm sure someone will correct me)

We are not just looking for an estate, as a big hatchback will be fine. So the Octavia and Leon can be considered, but the S40 will be a big no-no.
Old 29 November 2004, 11:13 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Andy

Good little estate which does exactly as advertised. We're on our third now - had a T4 as a company car about 5 years ago, Mrs K recently chopped in her 128K miles TD SE and now has a 35K miler T4 - which must say something.

Mungo,

I live in Kingston and as Weybridge is just down the road, any dealers you would recommend?
If you want to go independent, there is a dealer just down the road from Hampton Court Palace on the A308 as you go back to Sunbury. They always come top in customer satisfaction surveys.

Cheers
Kav
Old 29 November 2004, 11:31 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kav, sounds like you like the T4 engine! The T4 will be plenty fast enough, especially as my wife is use to the 60bhp Ford Ka!!

I know Carpenters and would prefer not to use them!
Old 29 November 2004, 11:37 AM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

I know Carpenters and would prefer not to use them
Say no more

Best of luck.

Cheers
Kav
Old 29 November 2004, 11:39 AM
STi Blues
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I had a T4 saloon and the wife had a 2 litre V40 for a couple of years before I moved back to Scooby ownership and she moved on to a freelander. I loved the T4 - there were plenty of aftermarket bits available from Europe and at the time the £/euro exchange meant they were cheap to buy and ship over.

The wife loved the V40 - it came with the full comfort pack - heated everything!

I didn't find the handling too bad to be honest - I did get the T4 lowered, etc - and once you get used to the torque steer they are quite good fun!

I wouldn't hesitate getting another - Volvo's are certainly more comfortable on longer journeys.

Good luck.
Old 29 November 2004, 11:45 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Are there any owners clubs for the T4 Volvo?? Interested to see what sort of things people have done to them.

I take it that these cars can handle way over 100k if maintained as per service book, and shouldnt be considered a 2nd hand risk as long as there is full history??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 November 2004, 11:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, you've at least reassured me that it's not a bad car!

Looks like we'll be test driving Volvos and Foresters this weekend!
Old 29 November 2004, 12:04 PM
STi Blues
Scooby Regular

Try the links page on www.volvospeed.com - loads of members cars and tuning companies, etc.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:24 PM
Vegas 531
Scooby Regular

We've just moved to a V40 T4 and its fair to say me and the misses are well pleased.

Its quiet, inconspicuous and quick. Mind you however, once you lose traction, 200bhp is great fun. Changing lanes on roundabout is all done with the accelerator and torque steer for straight sections mean you don't ever need the steering wheel!?!

I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a mid to small size estate. If want a bigger estate, then its got to be V70 T5.
Old 30 November 2004, 09:37 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Had a company T4 estate for three years.

Good points: VERY strong engine, don't forget it's more powerful and with more torque than a standard Classic Scoob. The comfiest car seats I've ever sat in, bar none. Handling isn't as bad as some say, it's just set up to be understeery and safe (very understeery if you boot it on roundabouts ). Good driving position. Great long-distance cruiser.

Bad points: not really an estate, the saloon actually has a bigger boot & carrying capacity although less flexible for longer loads. Ride is not so good, a bit joggly and bouncy on certain surfaces. Doesn't feel as solid as a Passat.

Tuning is easy: the T4's boost curve is shaped so it doesn't all rush in at once at low-ish rpm. Don Norchi at Kalmar Union does a model-specific bleed valve which improves spool-up considerably for around £50

I would also advise looking at the 2.0T light-pressure turbo model: it's "only" 160bhp but lotsa torque and is just as fast as the T4 in most conditions. It's also cheaper to buy, several insurance groups lower, with better fuel consumption. Had one as a courtesy car and I was impressed.
Old 30 November 2004, 12:19 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Had V40T4 for a year as company car and loved it.! Also sneaked a dawes device on it, which made and serious difference and was running max boost before Fuel cut. Don't know if it was detting of not, but didin't care as was company car. And ran it like this for 1 year and abused the car and was still going strong the day it went back with 88K on the clock.

Strong quick and reliable cars, especially with a dawes .
Old 30 November 2004, 12:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

my dad had one for three days, i bashed my head getting in all 4 times i got in the bloody thing, if your tall stay away, v70's are pretty good, even if they are a bit big.
Old 30 November 2004, 12:28 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys!

Tuning.... sweeeeet!!!

Good avice on the 2.0T, as I was going to ask about hte differences between models.

I'm only 5' 11", so it shouldn't be an issue.

Boot size... well it still has a bigger capacity than a Ford Ka or Honda CRX!! And it should be able to cope with shopping, pushchairs, etc!!

Thanks again!
Old 30 November 2004, 12:36 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

My ex boss is selling his V40, silver r plate estate 78k for £2800 pm if interested
Old 30 November 2004, 12:46 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy, let me know what engine and where they are based (either on here or by PM)

Ideally I was after one T-reg on, for no other reason than I can use my personalised plate again!!!
Old 30 November 2004, 01:06 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Bit more on the 2.0T, early ones were 160bhp and 170 ft-lbs torque from 1800 to 4800rpm. Later ones (from the last facelift onward) were 165bhp and a bit more torque.

Interior options & trim much the same as the T4, but a bit lower spec (aircon as opposed to climate control, that sort of thing).

It's a slightly larger capacity motor than the T4 (1950cc vs 1890cc) but is still very strong, with massive truck-sized intercooler etc.

Both the 2.0T and T4 have VERY sophisticated engine management, so it's hard to get much higher max power figures without a remap (which TME or others can do) but a simple bleed valve / Dawes can be used easily to give much quicker spool up and a little more power without fear of totalling the motor.
Old 01 December 2004, 03:20 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Mungo,

It's a little trek but Alan Gibson in Basingstoke is very good. Squire Furneaux in Maidenhead also good, but the Reading-based Kingsley are best avoided. I've not had much experience of the Leatherhead dealership myself, but haven't had good secondhand feedback from friends.
Old 01 December 2004, 04:14 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz

If you want to go independent, there is a dealer just down the road from Hampton Court Palace on the A308 as you go back to Sunbury. They always come top in customer satisfaction surveys.
Carpenters has a good selection of cars, but they only give a 3 month warranty, and that's only worth 50% of cost to fix problems if the car is over a certain age or mileage. The cars we found of similar age at Volvo main dealers under their Selected Used program were generally much better prepared than those at Carpenters and in much nicer condition. Without any real cost impediment, and with a full year's warranty. Customer service is good at Carpenter's though.
Old 01 December 2004, 04:21 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I would rather go to prison and drop my soap, while sharing a shower with 'Bubba' than use Carpenters!

I would say that from personal experience that the customer service is 'intermittant'.

Rather not go into details here, but I am very surprised they are still in business!!

That aside there is a Volvo dealer in Teddington (where I work) and there has been good feedback about them.
Old 02 December 2004, 01:17 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

No reply from my ex boss yet, Andy, he must be on holiday, will get back to you,
Old 02 December 2004, 04:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

No worries Andy, let me know as and when!
Old 02 December 2004, 05:27 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Sorry Andy he's keeping it now

Quick Reply: Volvo V40? Good car?