Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

P1 to Honda S2000????????

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 10:54 PM
MickyQ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 to Honda S2000????????

THINKING about selling my P1 and getting a Honda S2000, I am starting to do a lot more mileage for work and the S2k seems a good option.

Will it be much cheaper to run and service than my P1?

Am worried I may regret it can anyone set my mind at ease?
Old 24 November 2004, 02:45 AM
The_Teg_Man
Scooby Regular

Micky,

I've never owned a P1 just a standard Scoob but have had a MY03 S2000. What I will say is that they are incredibly different cars, I mean the S2000 is a 2 seater RWD high revving frenetic kinda beast, its completely different to a P1 in the way you can drive it.

I would recommend you have some kind of extended test drive in the S2000 before committing yourself because I could really see how a driver who is used to the 4WD P1 with its abilities to "fling it into a roundabout at ridiculous speeds in the wet without a care in the world" could lead to a driver being frustrated with an S2000.

The 2 things in my mind which are likely to lead to you loving it is if you have had some previous experience of RWD performance cars and have previously enjoyed owning a Honda VTEC engine. (Under a bridge, roof down with engine at 9000 rpm is an aural experience and a half!)

Running costs are generally considered to be cheaper but if you are revving the nuts of the S2000 at every opportunity then its mpg will drop dramatically.

Personally I loved the car although I gotta confess I did not have much confidence in my own abilities with RWD but that was more a shortcoming on my part/driving ability! (Hence why I now own a FWD Teg )
Old 24 November 2004, 11:38 AM
MickyQ
Scooby Regular

200 views and only 1 reply?
Old 24 November 2004, 12:16 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickyQ
200 views and only 1 reply?
Search for posts by our mate SidHead. He went from a classic scoob to an S2K.
Old 24 November 2004, 12:56 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Having not owned either i have no idea about the difference, but for me if i was repacing the Porker i would prob be heading to the Honda garage to drive an S2000. Its a very classy car.
Old 24 November 2004, 06:24 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

I have no experience of the S2K but I sold my 99 turbo PPP and got a new Civic Type R. Six months later I'm tired of having to thrash the nuts off it to get anything meaningful and am going back to an Impreza.

Test drive the S2k but make sure you have it for long enough to get a real feel for what it will be like to live with.

Both marques have fantastic engines but are suitable to very different driving styles.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:56 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Best advice is to try one for a whole day, as said above.

I've had 2 modded UK Scoobies , and now an MY04 S2000. Luvin it........... Totally different cars both with good points and bad.......... Just put an HKS exhaust on and its amazing

Try here for the low down

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Only other advice would be get an MY04 model as its the best sorted . Previous models had more of a punch in VTEC , but more edgey handling. Now sorted...
Old 24 November 2004, 11:27 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Here is SidHead's thread: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=s2000

To some extent I stand by my comments...although these days I do much more motorway miles and the mpg is now often in the late 20's. Insurance can be a concern as it's a high group, for me as en ahem, experienced driver it's ok.

Fantastic car though...
Old 25 November 2004, 11:04 AM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there

but more edgey handling
Typical quote from a watered down, dare i say it, SOFTER, 04 owner nxt you'll be wanting traction control LOL

Best advise would be as already mentioned, get an extended test drive, see if you can adapt your driving style, to a car you have to drive, rather than be driven. Then after you've had a test drive organise another. Preforably a different car as things like tyre selction/pressure and geometry aligment are critical to the cars handling, so the more cars you can drive the better the feel you'll get for the S2000, thats if you get it at all.

Get over to s2ki and have a chat on uk owners board
Old 25 November 2004, 02:36 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

ok should have read Hedgey Handling) , cos thats where you'd end up...........

Handling of the S2000 made the TVR Grif seem agricultural in comparison

J
Old 25 November 2004, 02:54 PM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

Location: up a bit, left a bit, down a bit, to the right no left ahhh just there

Acually in all seriousness, if your considering an older car 99-01, there is a revised "optimal" set of suspension geometry settings, that should curb the earlier car's "twitchyness" at the rear.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:12 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I went from an STi scoob to an Integra which has a very similar engine characteristic to the S2000. The only downside to the ITR was the lack of torque, and the sheer rawness of the drive (which was good until you got a bit tired of it)

Having had a go in Rich B's S2000, I think it would be a much better choice. Its a stunning looking car, and felt more meaty than the ITR to drive. Interior is streets ahead of a scoob, and is a really nice place to be.

The turbo pull is the one big thing you will miss. It is a very fast car, just the pull is different. John Banks posted a while ago about an encounter with one and he was impressed with its pace.

I still maintain I will have one - I love Honda's. It would have to have a JR supercharger on it though

MB
Old 26 November 2004, 09:03 AM
Pie_n_Chips
Scooby Regular

That wouldn't have been down the M6 toll road now would it?????

Do you have a link to the thread???
Old 26 November 2004, 09:33 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

still have both on a regular basis and still love them both.

S2000 doesnt seem to have a lack of torque to me! at low rpm round town it pulls well in every gear.

The engine is a stormer and is far better put togeter and to listen to than any impreza I have heard. Plus there is a 6 year or 60k warranty available.

There is also a lot less to go wrong, and it weighs considerably less than the new imprezas.

MPG whn off cam is also very impressive, and it is lots of fun to watch the rpm counter all day long (with an eye on the road of course!).
Old 26 November 2004, 04:00 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

I had a think about one of these the other day - '99/00 cars seem to start at 12k - which is a lot of car for the money. (Sounds even better from what Pie-n-chips was saying about resolving the scary on limit handling.)
Old 26 November 2004, 04:08 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

hello.

As squizz said i went to an S2000. If you don't hammer it then the fuel economy is way better than my scoob was - and services at lot cheaper. Have to buy lots of oil though as it will use anything up to 1litre per 1000 miles - depending how much you vtec.

As long as you arent silly in the wet it seems fine - you can always get some good tyres as the standard Bridgestones are great in the dry but absolute pap in the wet.

One thing i will say is its incredibly small as soon as you need to carry a box say just something as simple as a printer.

Head over to http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25 for lots of info or ask me any specifics!

One thing i defo missed was the scooby noise. I've now removed my airbox cover to release the induction noise (has induction cone as standard) and now i am more happy

Andy
Old 26 November 2004, 04:11 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
The engine is a stormer and is far better put togeter and to listen to than any impreza I have heard. Plus there is a 6 year or 60k warranty available.
My book says 90k, MY03!
Old 26 November 2004, 11:05 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

http://www.fastdrive.org/download.php?view.367

Trust me, this will persuade you. Worth registering on tis site, its quick, and has some very good quality video...

MB
Old 27 November 2004, 07:45 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Just washed mine for once today:

Well it was quite dirty :

Old 26 December 2004, 09:18 PM
A1exander
Scooby Regular

I have an S2000 GT and I must say they are fantastic cars but the two cars are a world apart. The performance in the S2 is all top end power and as previous people have said, it can be a bit tiresome as you have to work the car hard due to the lack of low end torque ( reving a car to over 9,000 rpm can be very pleasing though ). The reliability is second to non and have had no problems with mine. Plus you get a car that is pretty rare and they certainly turn heads like no other car I owned before. They just lack practicality hence me buying a scoob type uk.
Old 27 December 2004, 04:58 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Stunning

Old 27 December 2004, 08:44 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate
Old 27 December 2004, 09:06 PM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

I've gone from a wrx bug eye to s2000 and love it . You can choose to drive conservatively and save on the fuel, or go above 6k rpm and rack up the miles
Old 27 December 2004, 09:08 PM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

www.s2ki.com by the way, scroll down to the UK section
Old 28 December 2004, 05:48 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from this:

(MY01 WRX, full decat, filter, spoiler, STI mods, springs etc etc)

To this:

(MY03 S2000 - no mods!)

Cars are chalk and cheese, the Scoob blead me dry, the Honda costs me not much more than £100 a year to service and I can do 30+ mpg cruising. The Scoob was too chav for me now, the Honda regularly turns heads for the right reason. I loved the Impreza, had a lot of fun in it. However it was expensive to run and depreciated fast. I could drive it like a total loon and get away with murder. The S2000 requires much more respect, no lift off in the roundabouts to get the back out, but sideways can be achieved easily when required. S2ki is a great forum and Ive met some top people off it. The cars are very different, the S has the advantage in the summer of being a cab ofcourse, I love driving in the sun with the roof off, however ofcourse the S is much less practicle, but frankly I dont care.

Mine is now for sale if anyone is interested:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/det...?i=33162&s=327

Im open to offers! but not into swaps. If I wasnt doing daft miles Id keep it and put an HKS exhaust on it they sound great.

Last edited by ADP; 28 December 2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 29 December 2004, 10:36 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The more I look at them the more I want one

I would really miss the low down power though. I know I did when I had the ITR. It is class though, and as you said, you do feel a bit chav sometimes in the scoob (and im only 26!)

MB
Old 29 December 2004, 03:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Deffo take a test drive mate,

I went for a drive in a Celica 190VVTi (similar to VTEC engine in character). I liked the car and was most impressed by the high revving engine, but just wouldn't have been able to get on with it as an everyday performance car. There is really not that much performance before the top end section of the rev range and, although it's fun when you have the space to use it, in everyday conditions the lack of torque and requirement for a bucket load of revs to really make progress is rather irritating to someone used to a turbo motor.

Some people love their frenetic nature though; horses for courses! :-)

Best
Old 29 December 2004, 03:20 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Agreed. A JR Supercharger and a 4wd system would perk it up a bit

MB
Old 30 December 2004, 11:47 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pie n Chips, just spotted your Q about the M6.

Not sure where the link to John's post is, but it was in other marques about 10 months ago. He's up in Scotland so may not have been him you encountered!

MB
Old 05 January 2005, 03:59 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Went from v4 STi to S2K 02 with a slight deviation in between...

I dont feel the S2K is that quick, even when I rev it over 6k, sure it's quick enough but not blistering, I seriously sometimes think there is something wrong with it when I hear people going on about the VTEC 'kick', I find it more of a gentle nudge...

BUT it is great fun to drive, top down all the time (6 seconds ), reasonable MPG, annoying shape boot but enough luggage space for 2 weeks around europe...

Different kettle of fish. Definately try an 04, IMHO they look nicer

www.s2ki.com is good for info as been mentioned before. Bell direct were cheap on my insurance (elephant.co.uk for an online guide)

Rich