Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Buying a Nissan 200SX, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 09:40 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Nissan 200SX, questions.

Went to have a look at a 200SX for my GF today, going back tomorrow to look for rust in the daylight

We could not find the VIN plate anywhere, any idea where it is?

Also what are the service intervals, esp when should the cambelt be changed?

Any common rust spots to check?

Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 20 November 2004, 10:07 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Should be able to find all the answer to yuur questions on http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/

Richard
Old 20 November 2004, 10:30 PM
mike_330
Scooby Regular

what age is this car? I presume its a S13 as you mentioned rust, bot lid most probably

S14 dont have any problems with the brown trim..........

These car dont have timming belts they run chains and they last the life of the car

Vin plate will be on the bulkhead

Hope the gf can drive as they are fun during this time of year
Old 20 November 2004, 11:08 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I have no idea what it is. It's a 1991 model, the owner said it was a facelift version.
Which side of the bulkhead does the VIN live on and exactly how long is "The life of the vehicle"? It's done ~93,000.

We looked at an earlier one, I was immediately put off by the Max Power sticker, and we then found holdes in the parcel shelf, the gas lifters for the boot didn't work and to finish it off after fighting the broken bonnet popper we found a rust hole in the suspension turret.

Are they a bit twitchy then? Her current car is a 2 litre Sierra so we have RWD experience
Old 20 November 2004, 11:10 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I'm not a 100% sure but i didn't think the last shape was out in 1991?

Yes, they can be good fun in the wet, RWD 200bhp no traction control and not a huge amount of grip...
Old 20 November 2004, 11:24 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I did see a much rounder, more blobby version of a 200SX in a car park somewhere and the one we're getting isn't that shape.
How many different versions were there then? If there are 3 or more then maybe he meant it was facelifted from the one before that?
Old 20 November 2004, 11:30 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

There is three common shapes on the road - S13 which has 170bhp (I think) from a 1.8 turbo - noticeable for the pop-up headlights.

The final UK shape first came out 93/94 either an L or M plate (S14) with a round even front - and then got a slightly butcher facelift a year or so later.

My red 'mini-Skyline' P 1996 was a cracking bargain second hand - I paid £11.5k for the Touring model - full leather, service history etc when it was £26k new - only two and half years old and 25k on the clock.

Spun in twice in the first week though... looking back I was probably being a little immature at the time!

I had an auto (I think manuals were about £1,500 more second hand back then?) and the steering feel wasn't too hot, the turbo lag quite noticeable and in the wet it was truly scary. In the dry it was punchy but 7.2 to 60 doesn't compare too well with my new MY05 WRX .

Saying that, it had toys aplenty, a lovely driving position and when polished up looked quite smart. Only 18 mpg though. In two years nothing fell off - which couldn't be said for either the MINI COOPER and MINI COOPER S which replaced it.

I think the last model sold new in the UK stopped in 2000 - don't think you'll see any newer?
Old 21 November 2004, 11:54 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Well, a 1994 model just popped up so we're going to look at that instead. higher mileage but cheaper, and presumably an S14.

Any gotchas you can think of with this one?
Old 21 November 2004, 02:57 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Turbo's can go on them - but if it's been well maintained (and allowed to cool down after a blast) it should be ok. I wouldn't touch one other than a unmodified mint condition UK original. In two years nothing fell off, broke or rattled on mine - though one of my alloys had a hole in it. The garage who found it said it was the second flaw in an alloy he'd seen in 16 years. Needless to say Nissan denied at first it was there fault but reluctantly replaced it foc. Just be careful in the wet, you don't want to come onto boost mid exit of a local roundabout! Not unless you're Tiff Needell!
Old 21 November 2004, 08:09 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

There was a revision for the '92 model s13, different front bumper, alloys, bigger front brakes, lsd as standard etc. usually refered to as 'facelift model'. Just make sure its got all the updates, some seem to of only been given some of the updates esp the earlier ones. cambelts at 54k (or 5 yrs i think) on 1.8 s13's, services every 6k. 94 could be either late s13 or v.early s14 with 2.0 litre engine, camchains supposed to last lifetime of engine but often changed bout 100k when they can start 2 rattle a bit.
Old 22 November 2004, 05:32 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Well the 94 one had sold, went to look at one in portsmouth but it had rust around the turrets and the turbo didn't really seem to do anything, that then made us late to go and view the nice one that we'd agreed to look at a second time, in the daylight.
That one is an M reg IIRC so it should have LSD and the facelift. Turrets wernt rusty but it did have a dent in the front wing, seemingly cosmetic, and the turbo definately worked!
We'll probably end up buying that one as the only damage is cosmetic, turrets, boots and arches are rust free.
I may also end up trying to obtain a 200SX storage pocket to take up one of the DINs in my Legacy. They're much nicer than the autoleads ones and I imagine written off 200SXs wont be too hard to find in scrapyards given the amount of fishtailing it did on the damp road
Old 22 November 2004, 06:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to speak to JohnFelstead (or drop him a PM) as he owns a 200sx so should be able to gen you up on them

Tony
Old 22 November 2004, 10:23 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

best thing to do is either get someone who's owned or worked with 200SX's before to have a look OR get a RAC/AA inspection. About £115 I think? but well worth it for peace of mind knowing exactly what you're buying
Old 23 November 2004, 07:00 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hey i bought a Nissan 200 S13 a couple of months ago, it was on an M plate and this was the last of the s13 as the S14 started in sept-ish 94.

I am really happy with my one, its a excellent drive, looks great and handles well! I payed 2k for mine, it had 17' alloys, full decat exhaust, grooved discs and dump valve together with FSH. S13 do suffer from rust especially at the boot lid and at the bottom of the wheel arches aswell as underneath (ive got a couple of bits which need attn)

Dont expect good MPG, infact thats the only thing thats annpoyed me, u'll get around 70miles for £10... crap really!