Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Is there a GOOD Peugeot 205 website?

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 12:28 AM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a GOOD Peugeot 205 website?

Thinking about getting a GTi as a daily run around.

Is there a 205 equivalent to Scoobynet ?

Tried running it through Google, but no joy.

Cheers
Old 11 November 2004, 05:13 AM
steige
Scooby Newbie

http://www.205gtidrivers.com
http://www.psooc.com
http://www.peugeot-gti.net

In that order of preference. There is a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful guys on the forums. Get a 205 an put an mi16 in it. They are great fun!
Old 11 November 2004, 06:42 AM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Mines for sale at the moment, ideal for a Mi16 conversion as well.

also a second for 205gtidrivers.com just as useful as scoobynet.

pm me for details.

Steve
Old 11 November 2004, 08:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

you cant go wrong for the money

cant resist an excuse to post a piccy of my plaything
Old 11 November 2004, 08:32 AM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the all your advice

How does the Mi16 conversion affect your insurance?
Old 11 November 2004, 09:19 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You will have to find a company who deal with modifed cars.

Mine isnt an Mi16 and to be fair it doesnt need to be. Its quick enough as it is and a well set up suspension and stuff gives you a brilliant car. I have to say I enjoy taking it out and chucking it round the back roads more than I do the STi.

I would recomend the GTi for sure. Best way to stop the bugger from rattling and stuff is to strip it bare and fit a cage IMHO
Old 11 November 2004, 09:26 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Mi16 puts insurance up by about £30 a year

I'm currently rebuilding mine, should be good for 190bhp when finished, still wont be as quick as Gary's 8V though

Great cars, seriously missing driving mine now as its been off the road since June.
Old 11 November 2004, 09:59 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

...its a bit like shouting beetle juice 3 times ...mention 8v versus Mi16 and DW and Gutmann will be along ina flash
Old 11 November 2004, 11:14 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 11 November 2004, 01:35 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

effortless 8v torque anyday
Old 11 November 2004, 02:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Programmable high rev 16v TB'd goodness for me When I get a new engine that is, got everything else ready now
Old 11 November 2004, 03:37 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I only have to turn my key a mm in the ignition in the 8V and she starts, even after being left for a couple of weeks...... Im sure the Mi's are the same though after 20 or 30 minutes of cranking.
Old 11 November 2004, 03:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Being serious for a minute, my Mi (when it was working) was as good at cranking as my old 1.6. Turn the key and it fired, plus none of that kangarooing business around town/in traffic.

I'm sure it will be a different matter though when I fit the Emerald and TB's, as there will be no ICV fitted so lots of gas needed.

The fuel/ignition control I will have should outweigh that though, not to mention the 190bhp
Old 11 November 2004, 04:13 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I just hope it keeps going matey .......good luck
Old 11 November 2004, 05:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I've learnt a lot during this project, so i#m quite well versed now in dismantling any part of a 205.

I'm fitting the new engine with a view to easy removal if it blows again. Removable loom, TB's, bare essential engine accessories - PAS is gone, few other bits to go yet so if the engine blows again I can just replace it fairly quickly.

The idea now is to buy a new unit and fit it, then rebuild my current engine next year as a spare.
Old 11 November 2004, 06:03 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Have you stayed with standard cams DW?

Just in the process of fitting 275s to mine, should have it ready tomorrow once the cam seals arrive.

Then for some fun at Oulton next wednesday, with me new toyo 888s fitted (so no doubt it wil pish down)

simon
Old 11 November 2004, 08:08 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I agree for the money they are amazing, especially when you get all the trick bits fitted

Here's my Mi16 track car, and Gutman isnt inadequate coz he's 8 valves short :-)

Sean

Old 11 November 2004, 10:20 PM
ellisg
Scooby Regular

Mi16 insurance often does not cost extra if you stick with the 1.9, it just limits your choice of companies. Modded 8vs cost more than 16v to insure.
I can't fault the 205 as a fast, cheap runaround.
I have a mi with upgraded suspension/decent rubber, its the best fun I've ever had with a car and mine seems to be rattle free as well.
What car is a hoot to drive along A/B roads, costs a grand or 2 to buy, does 35mpg, costs £250 to insure, seats 4 adults and still looks good after 20 years.
Can also take the Sunday dump load as well, its hoot to drive back
205gtidrivers forum is the best one I use, a valuable source of information.

Last edited by ellisg; 11 November 2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11 November 2004, 10:36 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Have you stayed with standard cams DW?

Just in the process of fitting 275s to mine, should have it ready tomorrow once the cam seals arrive.

Then for some fun at Oulton next wednesday, with me new toyo 888s fitted (so no doubt it wil pish down)

simon
Dont have an engine yet so cant answer that really

I have nearly finished spraying the engine bay now, so the whole car is cleaned and ready for its new heart.

I have some bike throttle bodies, an Emerald ECU, a nearly complete wiring diagram for said ECU, and a few other bits on the way.

What I dont have is an engine - mine is stripped down but needs new liners etc, so i'm trying to find a new engine but they are thin on the ground now - any that do turn up are darn sarf, which adds £100 to the already high prices being charged.
Old 12 November 2004, 07:53 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5_336
I agree for the money they are amazing, especially when you get all the trick bits fitted

Here's my Mi16 track car, and Gutman isnt inadequate coz he's 8 valves short :-)

Sean

Spell my name right please

RRH ..let me know how those tyres get on please. I had a look at them a while back but decided to not spend the cash till I had heard some reports on them.
Old 12 November 2004, 08:27 AM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

Ive been toying with buying another 205 gti as a run-about but the silver 1.6 that i had about 5 years ago caused me nothing but greif. In the 2 years that i had it, i worked out that over the two years of ownership it broke down every 4/5 weeks with me needing to replace an engine component every time.

One of the biggest pain in the ****'s was when it rained and i went through a puddle, be it 5mm deep or 6inches the engine would die within about 1 minute of driving through any puddle, and then it would take a 10 mile tow by my stepfarther to get the bugger running again.

When i bought it it was a mint F reg silver 205gti with 64k on the clock.
During the time i had it i went through 2 engines and had the cylinder head re skimmed on the 2nd engine (405 sri 1.9 engine) twice.

Do you guys with the 205's suffer from as many probs as me or do you think i bought a lemon ?

Reliabilty is the only thing that pust me off buying another.
But i still think its one of the best shape hot hatches ever made.
Old 12 November 2004, 08:42 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They are French, so have their foibles, but generally they are reliable.

I bought my first one back in 97, a mint red 1.6 with 66k miles on it. I paid £3400 for it and covered 35000 miles in it - tbh I absolutely thrashed the **** off it as well. Nothing ever went wrong with it in a major way. It needed a new starter motor and radiator but that was it.

I sold it a year after buying for £2500 and it needed a new gearbox due to all the wheel spinning I had done

Generally though it was very reliable, and I did a 150 mile round trip to work in it each day.

The problem they have is the charging/ignition circuits - after stripping my current wiring loom down wire by wire its amazing how many connections are corroded/full of oil.

Sort the wiring out with a new water tight loom and they will be much stronger.
Old 12 November 2004, 08:52 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
One of the biggest pain in the ****'s was when it rained and i went through a puddle, be it 5mm deep or 6inches the engine would die within about 1 minute of driving through any puddle, and then it would take a 10 mile tow by my stepfarther to get the bugger running again.

When i bought it it was a mint F reg silver 205gti with 64k on the clock.
During the time i had it i went through 2 engines and had the cylinder head re skimmed on the 2nd engine (405 sri 1.9 engine) twice.

Do you guys with the 205's suffer from as many probs as me or do you think i bought a lemon ?

Reliabilty is the only thing that pust me off buying another.
But i still think its one of the best shape hot hatches ever made.
I think it was a bit unlucky there mate, there is a diagnostic plug which quite often ended up hanging quite close to ground level, if that got wet it can cause the engine to shut off.

The 405 Sri engine is not the same as a Gti engine and fueling issues may have caused that to go **** up on you.
Old 12 November 2004, 08:57 AM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

As it might be of interest, I have a 1.9 GTi that I will be stripping for parts if anyone needs anything...............

On my 4th one - got to love those cars!
Old 12 November 2004, 09:12 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

What colour Richard? If its Miami i'll have the front grill please
Old 12 November 2004, 09:26 AM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

What do you reckon i would pay for say a 1.9 j/k reg sorrento Green/miami blue/laser green gti that has been looked after,no rust,nice bodywork,and healthy engine with about 100k on??

All the 205's I have seen for sale by me look haggerd and dont look as if they are worth what they are being advertised at.

There are some lovely 205's for sale at Just GTI's on the net but they are about 3 grand.

Do you reckon i could get a 'Good-un' For 1500 quid?
Old 12 November 2004, 09:42 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
RRH ..let me know how those tyres get on please. I had a look at them a while back but decided to not spend the cash till I had heard some reports on them.
Its either going to go one of two ways;

1) They'll be crap, or it will be damp, and I'll have a rather sideways day and get covered in mud, or,

2) They'll be mega grippy and I'll end up on me roof I've added an amusing 'that wasn't meant to happen' to the underside just in case you never know, someone might be filming from a helicopter.

Stupidly I managed to order the wrong size- my previous 205/50s were rubbing, and when I mentioned it to the guy who preps my other race car he told me they should be 195/55- or so I though. What he actually told me was 185/55. Am just hoping they're not going to rub or Mr lump hammer will be coming out to play again
Old 12 November 2004, 09:47 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmuuzzzzyy
Do you reckon i could get a 'Good-un' For 1500 quid?
My 205 was the straightest 1.6 you've ever seen- no rust, no damage, 70k miles, ran like a dream (until I broke it).

I paid £750, and that included an Mi16 lump and loom to fit in it.

Keep an eye on ebay, there are usually some cheap Mi16s going through- and whilst the enthusiast sites usually have excellent examples on offer they tend to value them rather excessively- just look at scoobynet for sale ffs
Old 12 November 2004, 10:04 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

RRH .........I run 195/50/15 and they fit fine so i reckon you will be ok matey.

You cant beat them I dont think. Mine cost £18,000 when it was new GUUUUUUUUULP luckily I didnt pay that much for it. UIts only had three owners, two of them ladies. They would cry for a month if they saw what I have done to it

This is what she looked like when she came out the showroom, wheels twin lights and all

and this is what she looks like now

I must admit i sometimes feel like selling it getting something a bit more track focused, but then i take it out, rag the **** off it, chuck it into the odd bend or two and the grin comes back.

Oh and if it leaks dont bother trying to find where it came from just drill a couple of holes in the floor to let the water out.

Oh and more importantly my old girl has lapped the Nurburgring in under 9 minutes and there aint many people who can say they have done that, in any car let alone a 8valve 205

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 12 November 2004 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12 November 2004, 10:09 AM
mmuuzzzzyy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
My 205 was the straightest 1.6 you've ever seen- no rust, no damage, 70k miles, ran like a dream (until I broke it).

I paid £750, and that included an Mi16 lump and loom to fit in it.

Keep an eye on ebay, there are usually some cheap Mi16s going through- and whilst the enthusiast sites usually have excellent examples on offer they tend to value them rather excessively- just look at scoobynet for sale ffs
Are the MI16 engines hard to get replacement bits though???
what sort of stats does an mi16 205 produce......BHP, 1/4 mile, 0-60 and 0-100

Quick Reply: Is there a GOOD Peugeot 205 website?