Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Golf GTI comparison in Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2004, 01:43 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down New Golf GTI comparison in Autocar

I haven't read the review fully but it seems that Autocar thinks the new 200bhp GTI is pretty good.

I'm sure it is but look what they compared it with;

Renualtsport Megane 225 - Similar price but has trouble handling all that power through the front wheels.
Honda Civic Type-R - Good car with similar build quality as Golf but nearly £4k cheaper!

First thing I thought was who in the market for a £16k hot hatch (Civic) will think 'Hang on, I've just found £4k down the back of the sofa, I'll buy that Golf instead!'. This is only of use for someone with £20k to spend who might want to save some money.

Then I thought, I know of a car that costs about £20k and can handle it's 225bhp. I'm sure you guys can think of one too. OK, it's not a hatchback and the interior quality isn't up to Golf standards but surely as an enthusiast's car it woops the Golfs ***!

If VW are trying to get back to it's roots with this GTI I think they've missed the mark slightly. It's still a posers car for people more interested in the badge at the front.

My flame proof underpants are on!
Old 10 November 2004, 01:46 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

Typical autocar. Comparing cars of hugely different price ranges to get the result they want.

I doubt very much anyone interested in a civic R would even consider a golf GTI.

And what about the Seat Cupra R with 225 bhp - its cheaper than the golf.
Old 10 November 2004, 01:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

just imagine what car you could get with 20K,

a scooby!!!!
Old 10 November 2004, 01:52 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
just imagine what car you could get with 20K,

a scooby!!!!
Well, so you can!!! Why didn't Autocar think of that?
Old 10 November 2004, 02:03 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I owned an original 1.6 GTi, and that was FUN to drive. Ok it wasn't that quick by todays standards, but it went well, made great overrun noises, handled well etc etc, and looked pretty cool too. But I miss it !

I know everything has moved on, and you have to think of a million other factors when designing a car nowadays (like how the bonnet will feel to someone if you hit them, and how many airbags can be stuffed into a car, and how the dashboard feels, how the doors sound when you shut them etc), but I still think that the designers of the new golf should take a ride in the original !!!

And £20k ? Give us a stripped out lightweight version for £14k, and they'll sell like hot cakes !

Matt
Old 10 November 2004, 02:37 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Hmmm. The problem is that we, the enthusiasts, are a minority. The sad truth is that most people ARE badge snobs and are far more interested in the mainstream perception and status of a car, rather than how good it really is. You will have trouble convincing the average Joe that a Type 25 is far superior as a driver's car than a BMW M3, purely because image tells them that an M3 simply must be the best.

The same will happen with the Golf. Although we know that the Scoob or even a Type R are better driver's cars, average Joe will still buy the Golf because it's a VW and a GTI, so it must be fast.

Oh well, let 'em buy their Golfs if they want, the poor misinformed slaves to society!

LC