Scoob to TDI, have you ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2004, 01:53 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoob to TDI, have you ?

Hi Guys,

Absolute dilema. I am putting £300 a month in the Scoob in fuel, let alone the service costs of doing quite high mileage. I've had the Scoob for 5 years, and enjoyed every minute. I have had my own place for 18 months now, and have found out how much elec and council tax cost

I have been thinking about changing the car for ages, but my heart has stopped me in my tracks ! But now I have insurance ( 1k ) cambelt 90k service ( £600 ) 3 tyres ( £300 ) all lurking round the corner, and at ten years old that may be just the tip.

I'm ranting so I'll stop, just a few questions to Ex Scoob diesel owners :

How hard is life without the Scoob ?

Which model TDI would you go for ?

How much do you save on running costs ?

Is life worth living without a Scoob ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
Old 09 November 2004, 02:33 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about keeping the scoob for the weekend and a cheap diesel for the miles??

You can decrease insurance by having restricted mileage policy, fuel and serviceing will be less long term.

You get to keep the scoob and save money

Mike
Old 09 November 2004, 02:44 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I have MYK, I just dont think I could drive to work in a ' 5hitter '. If I sell the Scoob I can buy a TDI for 8k, if I dont its going to be max 2k on a second car, I can't handle 3+ hours a day in an old banger !
Old 09 November 2004, 02:47 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

This is what I will be doing. I have a TT Supra now, and I worked out that I'm getting about 14-15mpg totally worth it tho

With mileage of about 15k a year, that's gonna cost me over £4k in petrol alone.

If I bought a car that did 'say' 50mpg and used it 3 times a week and the Supra 2 times a week, I would save circa £2k a year in fuel alone.

A friend of mine as a Passat 1.9TDi. Nothing special but he gets over 50mpg regularly, and you can buy one of these for less than £3k.

Ok so you have to insure\tax\mot the additional car, but you're keeping the miles off the nice car and also keeping it in better condition. Plus you appreciate it more if you don't drive it everyday

Matt
Old 09 November 2004, 03:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Didn't go directly from the Scoob to a TDi but I'm currently running an Octavia Elegance TDi, slight modification gives 140bhp and 220lbft of torque and I'm still getting well over 50mpg, on my early morning A road run to work I get over 60mpg.
Servicing is every two years or 30000miles and the two year service is about £150.

If you still want more power buy the Octavia PD130 or Fabia vRS and a re-map will give around 185bhp and 320lbft.

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 November 2004, 03:55 PM
eliot
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, i just bought a £500 Hyundai for everyday and have the reduced the insurance on the scoob - makes driving the scoob even better (absence makes the heart grow fonder!!!).

I just bought my wife her second Golf 130bhp TDi - as with the first one, they are excellent cars.......they do exactly what they say on the tin!!

Hope this helps

eliot
Old 09 November 2004, 04:20 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I didn't go driectly either, I went from a Scoob to an E36 3 series, which was written off in an accident. That made me quite aware of car safety, as a guy died in the accident in an old metro, which was literally squashed. When I did some research on safety the best car I could afford was a Laguna (1.9 diesel). I know people on here like to bash them, but it's been fine for me.

As a guide to running costs, insurance is literally half what the Scoob was, it needs servicing every 18,000 miles and costs about 180 quid from a Renault dealer, 6 months tax was 62 quid, and it does 48-50 mpg.

I got a year old Dynamique from a delaer with 12k on the clock for 10.5k.

My driving is mainly motorways these days, and for this it is so much better than the Subaru. It has a few little rattles (nothing major), but it is very comfy, and cruises very quietly at motorway speeds.

The only time I miss the Scoob is when I am driving down country roads and wish I had a bit more power etc. But as this happens about once a month now, I can easily live with it.
Old 09 November 2004, 05:08 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys, trying to weigh up keeping the Scoob, I think it may be all or nothing though.
Old 09 November 2004, 05:23 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I went from my 3 year-old Impreza straight to a £2000 VW Vento TD. Cheap as chips to run (literally halved my fuel & insurance costs) and acceptably comfortable on the motorway. Bit too much of a performance jump for me though, so I've backtracked a little to a Mk2 VW Golf GTI. Still get 40-45mpg on the commuter run, acceptable insurance and servicing costs, and more than capable of delivering adrenalin every now and then. Bit 1980s inside though!
Old 09 November 2004, 05:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Best move I ever made.

You can find 2002 facelift passat sport 130 tdi's for 7-8k now.

£500 for a revo to 280+lb/ft and still get 50mpg at 100mph on the mway in 6th gear (whilst listening to the 8 speaker sterio) and you will never look back!!!
Old 09 November 2004, 06:43 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Default I think I will be the most unpopular....

Went from a standard WRX to a Merc c270Cdi. It is so easy to drive and you can easily get 40mpg+ @90mph on the motorway. I recently did Bristol to Manchester and the difference from the Subaru was enormous. I had so much energy when I arrived.

Doesn't handle, accelerate or stop as well but for my 20,000miles per year I know which car I would rather be in. Quite good fun trying to match the old speeds down country roads though!

Servicing seems to be £150 or £250 depending on the service and, like all diesels, should be bullet proof.

just my 2p.
Old 09 November 2004, 06:47 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

How hard is life without the Scoob ? About as rough as it was with it!

Which model TDI would you go for ? 2004 A3 TDi Sport

How much do you save on running costs ? (northern ireland) insurance would have been £2K this year,£700 for A3. Fuel gone from 200miles from £40 to 500!

Is life worth living without a Scoob ? Don't be silly

Only regret is that I didn't do it a year ago,I'd be far from the highest earners on here so common sense had to prevail.
Old 09 November 2004, 06:56 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Went the other way (Golf GT TDI to Scoob) - now we also have a Skoda Fabia vRS.
Power wise, TDIs are great - handling wise nowere near as good (obviously). It just means that in the wet you've got to be very careful.
Thrill wise - you can have fun in town - ie booting it to 30mph even puts a smile on your face (well it does me!)

Don't forget 50 mpg is taking it steady ish (mrs averages 47mpg...although she did spin it at a week old...) - once you follow mates and start ragging the bolox off of it the mpg can drop as low as 35 mpg - only temporarily though!
I used to get 45 mpg average over a 50 mile back road blast.
Old 09 November 2004, 08:21 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Its easy enough to change to a modern TDi from an Impreza.

You don't say how much you would be spending but even assuming that we're talking a £5k car rather than a £25k car, just make sure you get one with a decent TDi engine. There's not that many 'bad' diesel engines out there now, but I would recommend most things running the VAG 1.9 engine, (110 red i or PD upwards).

Very easy to cheaply tune without blowing the thing up or massacring the MPG.
At the end of the day even on a 1997 Audi A4 (for example) you will have as much mid-range torque as the Impreza. Yes I know you won't have the power, but it will still be a decent drive and be good on the motorway as well.

You could do what I did between Subarus and get an Audi TDi Quattro - what you lose in power you gain in MPG and keep the grip !
Old 09 November 2004, 10:53 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Andy,

I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm putting in about £240 of petrol in my Scoob a month as I have recently changed jobs and now travel 60 miles per day to work. My car has low mileage at the moment, but will soon climb high at this rate . Fortunately the misses has agreed to swap cars twice a week now which will keep the mileage down. The downside of this is I have agreed for her to not have to top my car up with petrol and that I ensure her car has the same amount in as when "she" last used it! Sounds a bit unfair but I am increasing her annual mileage too! But costwise I'm no better off.

In the long term I think I'll be looking for a TDi early next year. I really love my car but can't justify buying a cheap diesel nor do I have the space for another car.

Its doing my head in, but the cost saving would be fantastic. If I do decide to sell then I'll be back one day

Nick

PS I can't believe I just typed this. Me, a DIESEL?! Arrrgh!!!!

Last edited by skoobidude; 09 November 2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09 November 2004, 11:09 PM
ChrisB

I've gone Scoob (MY99 UK) to an Ibiza TDi Sport.

Sometimes miss the noise (I had a nice full decat) but otherwise not really.

I've got fixed priced servicing at £43 per month based on 20,000 miles per year. That covers all my servicing, consumables (eg brake pads) and tyres. So I pay £516 per year. Each year (so far) I've had six tyres which National (VW Finance's approved tyre place) charge daft money for. I've replaced one tyre myself (puncture - not covered) at around £80, so say that's £480 of rubber. Two services per year at £100 + each, few other bits and I'm quids in on my £516.

Insurance is much more wallet friendly at £500 inc. business use. My Scoob was around £1100 and that was garaged at night (no garage at my new house).

I've had 67mpg going up the M6 / M62 / M60 / M61 to the Reebok Stadium one morning and that was going as fast as traffic allowed. Twelve mile run to work usually returns 50mpg including a bit of welly out of the roundabouts. £35 gets me at least 400 miles. On the last two Wales Camping Trips, I've had around 35mpg when running with a few Scoobs

I might look at a Revo re-map next year for some more power. Ride can be a bad at times as Seat decided a Sport model just meant wacking on a hard set-up but it's not that bad.

Is life worth living with a Scoob? Yup - the savings pay my mortgage and my house has gone up by more than the Scoob ever did (or tempt me to spend on mods!)
Old 09 November 2004, 11:12 PM
ChrisB

I can't belive I just typed this. Me, a DIESEL?! Arrrgh!!!!
My Dad said to me the other day, "who'd have thought you'd be happy with a diesel?".

Which was true. Sure, I'd like the RS4 that went past me today or the 911 Turbo I see most mornings but given my budget and financial priorities at present, I think I've made a good call. In the days of 90+ pence a litre for Optimax, I can be extra smug too
Old 10 November 2004, 12:42 AM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

I have just picked up a vectra 1.9 cdti 150, keeping the impreza also (v5 4dr WRX). the vectra goes well, with 150bhp and over 200ftlb torque it should !!!

best of both worlds and you get to enjoy the impreza more as you dont get too used to it
Old 10 November 2004, 12:42 AM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

I'm a bit glum at the mo too!...the running costs of the scoob (juice and insurance on an 03 WRX) have finally got to me

Just ordered a new astra (I know, I know...lol) 150 brake CDTI. TBH it looks a reasonably nice motor and is not all that slow for what it is.

It was the 50mpg and £3000 off list on a vauxhall ticket that swung it though!

Old 10 November 2004, 09:22 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's guys, not what I wanted to hear
Old 10 November 2004, 09:44 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I've done Scoob to diesel and it's really not that much of a hardship. The overall satisfaction of owning a car that doesn't drink optimax, doesn't cost a fortune to insure and doesn't need servicing every 6-10k miles, far outweighs any perceived decrease in performance.

It does make sense. I saved approx £200 per month on fuel and £60 per month on insurance. That's quite a decent "pay rise" after tax, don't you think!

Matt
Old 10 November 2004, 10:03 AM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Andy its not that bad.....I went from Wagon to a GTTDI 110 Golf. I get on average 475 miles to a tank, saved £350 pounds on insurance, and the only time I want to commit suicide is when i see another wagon.

Things I dont miss.......
Feeling like I have to have the car servcied at main stealer
searching for a Shell Garage
Neighbours thinking I am some weirdo sitting in my car waiting for "the Turbo to cool down"
Not wanting to take the car out to any where I don't think it will be safe
Parking in the middle of 2 carpark spaces
Waking from a nightmare in a hot sweat, and then realising the wife is next to me and not driving after all
Making sure the kids have cleaned their shoes before getting in
The wife checking the Credit card Bill

And the worst one is being a Car Hypochondriac.."What was that noise" "What was that vibration" etc etc........

Things that I miss.....
the Grin, and the Burble....Sounds like the title to a new Scoob DVD (Grin and Burble It )

Dicke C

Last edited by Dicke C; 10 November 2004 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 10 November 2004, 11:28 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, gave me a good chuckle that Dickie, I hear you on at least 3 of your down points of Scoob ownership lol !
Old 10 November 2004, 07:41 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Andy

I'm not quite sure if you're wanting people to say 'don't sell, it will be very painful' or ' there's nothing to it' !

Imprezas cost a lot to run. Only you can decide - and no-one else - if its worth it.
I look back at my last Impreza with respect, but hand on heart, I didn't miss it.
Old 12 November 2004, 05:26 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

ive just bought a golf gt tdi 2 litre 3 door
got to be honest even out of the box i dont notice that much of a differnece in straight line speed
although i never really booted the scooby, i am a bit of a softy with cars!
ill get this remapped though deffo
ps
im selling my 96 wrx too
look in the general for sale thread
apologies for the blatent plug
Old 12 November 2004, 05:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm still toying with this idea, but I feel I'll really miss AWD...
Old 13 November 2004, 11:55 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

** Links to external sites are not permitted to advertise your item/s for sale**

Please post in correct forum as well

Last edited by Redkop; 15 November 2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:02 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

id deffo drive one of the new golfs
the 2 litre is a beastie once remapped
Old 14 November 2004, 10:29 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of TDi Quattros as well and can also recommend if you want to keep 4WD but need MPG as well ! My last one was a chipped 2.5 A4 and that averaged 35.5mpg over 45,000m from new.

Last edited by Redkop; 15 November 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 15 November 2004, 11:30 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

I am contemplating moving from a scoob to an A6 3.0 TDI quattro or 535d (if I can stretch that far). Fuel bills and poor comfort are killing me plus I kinda got over that scooby stage (you need to do it at some point in your life). Diesel- a word I dreaded before is slowly starting to make sense especially in the light of the new technology being introduced to diesel engines. Audi has 225hp + quattro+ the best interior on a sub 70k car. Bmw oh that engine!- 272hp and 8l/100km on the combined cycle + that famous rear-wheel drive dynamics, quite shoddy interior though. However the bee em is a good 6000 euro dearer. what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Scoob to TDI, have you ?