Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Gap in the market??? After scoob????

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 09:32 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap in the market??? After scoob????

In the light of the EVO400 thread and mitsi being slated for its £47K car answer me this one ......

You want to buy your next NEW car. It has to replace your STiPPP or EVO. It has to have four seats, it has to be faster and reasonably focused as a track car. It cant be another EVO or Scoob. It has to be able to carry 4 people in relative comfort (so all caterfields / tvr's are out) . It has to cost less than £55K and be an off the shelf FACTORY car, not a re-mapped this that or the other.

So come on then whats it gonna be??? coz I cant think of anything. The only car which comes close in my mind is the M3 CSL and just beyond that the RS Audi's.

So where are you gonna go after your scoob if these are your criteria and the car has to be new? I dont think the car exists.

what say you?
Old 08 November 2004, 09:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New M5 if you add a bit more?
Old 08 November 2004, 09:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Monaro is the only other one. I'm thinking along similar lines.

Also another gap is big capacity engined small/medium sized lightweight drivers cars that don't fall apart.

What I'd do for a 3.2 Vetec V6 RWD Honda Integra
Old 08 November 2004, 10:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monaro vxr, with about 20k left in the bank!!!!!
Old 09 November 2004, 07:50 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Im not sure the Monaro is a better / quicker car which is why I didnt put the standard M3 down either. I take you guys words for it though.

That was the whole reason for me being pro EVO400 in the previous thread. I was ignoring the fact of its price and considering the fact that it was plugging a gap in the market place. Yeah it may have big turbo lag and be no quicker cross country but I would imagine that the feeling on boost and power would be unrivaled in its price bracket.

That Monaro just dont do it for me ......a big pug 406
Old 09 November 2004, 07:53 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The other thing to consider is that for most of us the move from hot hatch to subaru cost about £7K, something in that region. The move to a quicker NEW car is gonna cost £25K. Something I cant afford for sure
Old 09 November 2004, 08:07 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

The sensible thing is to buy a better used car isn't it? I think an Audi S4 would give an STI a good go, although it'd struggle more against an EVO of course, same with an M3.

You have to strike a balance. If you want the fastest 4 doors, sub £30k, you buy an STI/EVO and make do with the ****e quality of interior, exterior, lack of refinement, high running costs etc.
If you want something fairly quick with better build, but slower overall then a 330 would be a good (but common/dull) choice.

If you want the best of everything, you have to pay for it - although whether that car actually exists is another matter. Good trackday/4doors doesn't really go does it?

Personally if possible, I think it's best to have an everyday car and a fun car, you get the best of both worlds then.
Old 09 November 2004, 08:08 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you waiting for the fabled Cosworth Focus or then RS3? Ot perhaps the M1?

F
Old 09 November 2004, 08:09 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and I agree with Craig. Hope to be in that position soon...

F
Old 09 November 2004, 08:24 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I agree with your comments Craig. I know that the only avenue is to buy a second hand car and for me that would be of the 911 ilk.

It does seem that a gap exists between the scoob / evo and the next quicker car of that style though, M3 CSL / RS6 / M5. That gap costs around £30K which is a whole heap of cash.

As for the track car comment. your a buggxer aint ya, still trying to get me into a westy ..... I have a track car at the moment, just gotta wait till Dave and I are bored with our current steads and then we will have a shared car to come play with the big boys.
Old 09 November 2004, 08:26 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

2 cars, no doubt.

A nice tow car, with a good turn of speed, Audi S4, possibly an estate.

.....and A Caterfield type thing
Old 09 November 2004, 08:45 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Get a nice older style S4 for £10k, spend £3k tuning to around 350+hp (or leave std), 12.5-15k shared westie/Caterham/Radical. 28k, price of an STI, 2 cars, 1 better built, faster straightline, more comfy etc, the other not so well built but will run rings rond literally everything.

And keep the pug for when it rains
Old 09 November 2004, 09:00 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I like your thinking ..........
Old 09 November 2004, 09:04 AM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

ruf

Hawk

ps just noticed the 55K doooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09 November 2004, 07:49 PM
blot
Scooby Regular

Ah but Hawk, if you don't include the price of building a new road, sorry a ramp for your driveway.............

I had the same difficulty thinking what to replace my Evo with, couldn't part with it in the end, so took wife's car 'just going out for a drive dear' and part exd it for a secondhand Noble

Guttman -Don't believe you are going to save money sharing a track day car, done that with my mate next door this year, gone thru 50 slicks this year, 2 engine fires, reroute of fuel lines, new fuel tank, new discs, pads, fire extinguisher, extra seat & harness, 6billion gallons of fuel 20 billion gallons of brake fluid and as for oil..... was all worth it though
Old 09 November 2004, 08:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

wasnt trying to save money blot but halfing the purchase price means you can get a better track car in the first instance. I have a £3K track toy at the moment. What I want is a £30K track beasty though.
Old 09 November 2004, 09:26 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Used Porsche 996 GT3 Clubsport & a cheap runabout

The focus will change, I dont 'need' a 4 seater car, if I have to use one I would use the runabout..

The new M5 looks quite tasty though & the new M3 V8 sounds appealing

There are so many options in that price bracket to mull over!
Old 09 November 2004, 11:07 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blot
Ah but Hawk, if you don't include the price of building a new road, sorry a ramp for your driveway.............

I had the same difficulty thinking what to replace my Evo with, couldn't part with it in the end, so took wife's car 'just going out for a drive dear' and part exd it for a secondhand Noble

Guttman -Don't believe you are going to save money sharing a track day car, done that with my mate next door this year, gone thru 50 slicks this year, 2 engine fires, reroute of fuel lines, new fuel tank, new discs, pads, fire extinguisher, extra seat & harness, 6billion gallons of fuel 20 billion gallons of brake fluid and as for oil..... was all worth it though
just wait til you see my new road you'll be jealous

mind you never in the history of automotive spendingness has such a little car gone through so much as yours

LMAO @ 6billion gallons of fuel 20 billion gallons of brake fluid and as for oil..... was all worth it though

paul