Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 8 260 - living with one?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2004, 06:59 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 8 260 - living with one?

Looking at either an MY05 STI (euro import) or Evo 8 260, having visited the Mitsi dealer today I'm really liking the look of the Evo.

They are offering a grand of (at least) and three years (27,000 miles) free servicing, so apart from the hassle of taking it there every 4500 miles the ownership should be hassle free.

But, I do upto 18000 miles a year, is this going to be too much for the Evo... 4 services a year potentially although I'm only likely to keep it a couple of years at the most.

Anyone got long term thoughts on these (or similar), is it really a sensible everyday car (I use the term sensible with caution!). I'm happy with the ride and interior.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 17 October 2004, 07:08 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Needs the bigger rear spoiler imho which is about a grand extra fitted!
Old 17 October 2004, 07:55 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't fancy doing 18000 miles a year in an Evo. I took one out for a test drive and i got back ache after 20 minutes!
Old 17 October 2004, 08:33 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

dont forget the fuel economy and small tank
constantly stopping to fill up
Old 17 October 2004, 10:40 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lucky,

My Brother-in-law just got an ex-demo EVO VIII 260 for £20k with a 1,700 miles on the clock. He took me out in it to show me what it could do and it is a VERY focused car. I think it's a great car to go for a blast in, but I would not own one if I had to do 12,000 miles a year let alone 18,000 miles. The ride is superb for 'mad' driving but it's cr@p around town. I shuddered every time we went anywhere near a speed bump. After 30 minutes my back was aching and I couldn't believe how much fuel he used in the hour we were out (half a tank!). I have an MY00 + PPP and I thought my car was expensive to run until we had a chat about his experiences during the first three months of ownership. That coupled with the uncertainty surrounding the Mitsi Motor Company would not have me lining up at their door - no matter what anybody tells you, MMC going bust will have a negative financial impact on your asset and it's expensive enough owning one of these cars as it is!

It's a shame because the 260 made my MY00 seem like a Kia Pride in terms of handling. There wasn't a great deal of difference in terms of performance but the handling was in a different league...

I'm going to wait for a the new MY05 STi which I believe to be the best compromise you can buy. Mind you, I have a baby so my priorities may be different to yours...

Mark.

Last edited by Wuss; 17 October 2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 18 October 2004, 11:24 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input everyone, I'm having a really hard time persuading myself not to give it a go. At the end of the day I'll probably only keep it for 18 months or so (I'm 32 and I've never owned a car longer than that and I started at 16 in the USA!). I'm single have a reasonably well paid job (and they pay me £6K a year to opt out of the car scheme) so everything in my head is screaming - buy one now and enjoy it!

The £1K off and 27K miles of servicing is the icing on the cake.... but can I live with it, I thought the seats were really comfy (although my backside has plently of inbuilt padding!!!), worst interior feature for me is the Kenwood stereo, just looks like someone has cut an oblong hole in the dash and shoved it in, sticks out about half an inch.

I'm thinking it's about time I grew up but hey, I love cars.

Thanks again for the input. There seem to be a few on the lancer register site who run them for upto 20K miles a year and manage with them so that's encouraged me more.

Cheers,
Richard.