Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My 1st Track Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2004, 04:18 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st Track Experience!

The Mrs bought me a Mini Experience for my birthday last year and I finally got to go on it this weekend.

It was only a half day but I really enjoyed it. The theme was loosely based around the Italian Job.

Started out doing an Autotest in a (new) Mini Cooper, slow and a bit boring really, but harder than it looked getting through some of the tight sections and I was 1 of only 2 drivers that didn't hit or cone or use the clutch (the challenge was to do it all in 1st gear without stopping or slipping the clutch).

Next up, an instructor took 3 of us out round the circuit in a Cooper showing us the lines and the braking and turning points etc and as soon as I unfolded myself from the back seat I was sheperded into the drivers seat of a Boxster S and told to get out on track (it was supposed to be a Jag E-Type to go with the theme, but someone had blown the gearbox). I promise never to call a Boxster a hairdressers car again, I was very impressed. It felt really solid and forgiving with loads of grunt, not as violent as the Scoob but lovely sounding and great fun to punt about. I did get left for dead by a Leon Cupra R though that was being driven at 11/10ths

After that I was strapped into another Cooper with an instructor called Perry who showed me how to drive the circuit properly. It was a good feeling overtaking a Ferrari Testarossa in a bog standard Mini Cooper This part of the day was scored and I got 100/100 which really (and I mean REALLY) pissed off one of the other guys on the day who scored 99. In fact his entire family accused me of being a show off before walking off, even though I never actually told anyone my score, he read it off my card, LOL

Then we got a demo lap in a Cooper S, amazing how much quicker that felt (faster car plus decent driver!)

Finally, we then got to drive a 52 seater coach through a load of cones, with all the other drivers plus spectators on board which was definately a highlight of the day!

Have to say, I fully reccomend Everyman Racing who held the event, really nice people with good instructors and a quality set of cars.

I'm off to scour Autotrader for a Pug 205 trackday car, I've got the bug...
Old 19 September 2004, 07:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I'm off to scour Autotrader for a Pug 205 trackday car, I've got the bug...
Good choice
Old 19 September 2004, 08:12 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

I thought so too!